Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bait Ban in affect- BUT  (Read 14063 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Bait Ban in affect- BUT
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »

You can request an email already, just do it.

Dont tell me to do it I dont need it. Also dont be condescending

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

fishnjim

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2012, 09:54:13 PM »

my dad is one of those close to 70 year old guys that does not even know how to turn a computer on.  his friend is even worse...75 years old illiterate and  not one of his girls or son in laws that hunt or fish....so he bugs me and dad.  dad only knows what i tell him as he has bad eyes...tuff to read with mild glaucauma setting in.  so i would hope if something happened to me..that dfo, moe would step up the leaflet and poster campaign for the old timers!

i mean these old timers are the reason most of us are fishing today....no need to kick these guys when they are already feeling pretty down and out.  most of these types of fellows have good intentions and like to sit and talk to some young gun just to pass the time.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »

Dont tell me to do it I dont need it.

Then I wasn't talking to you.  I was talking to the ones that want DFO to email every update to every fisherman in the province so that they do not have to bother doing any work themselves.

Also dont be condescending

Yeah, like this wasn't meant to be condescending:

You do realize that they would only have to send ONE email and not tens of thousands right? It would take all of 30 seconds to send off to everyone.
Not all those who wander are lost

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2012, 10:06:58 PM »

i mean these old timers are the reason most of us are fishing today....no need to kick these guys when they are already feeling pretty down and out.  most of these types of fellows have good intentions and like to sit and talk to some young gun just to pass the time.

Very well put.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2012, 10:22:47 PM »

Really Blayd?  You think DFO should email every one of the tens of thousands of licensees, on the off hand chance some of them might want to know about the recent change in salmon regs on X river, when the few hundred anglers that know they are going out to fish said river can just check the website?  Am I the only one that feels this is a bit ridiculous?

Yeah but do thousands of Fishermen that do not fish the fraser want an update on the fraser? And you have to send thousands or thousands will not receive them.  Just because the one email you type gets copied 10 000 times, doesn't mean you are not sending 10 000 emails.  It is call spam for a reason.  No thank you.  The information is available if you really wanted it.

why is wanting a better system ridiculous? this is not restricted to email alone...if i can set my smart phone to give me updates on specific stats for sports, weather, and fluctuating gas prices...or give me the (DFO) tide chart for any given day...or even check how the ever changing stock market is doing, why can't they come up with an app for regulations that can self update on a regular basis?  In this day and age with all the technology available, i can't think of any reason why they can't find a better way of communicating with the public....so called "excuses" can come from either sides.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:33:22 PM by blaydRnr »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »

if at the least signs can be posted at hot spots.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2012, 10:41:48 PM »

if at the least signs can be posted at hot spots.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Their are only maybe 12 or so really popular spots on the lower fraser where people are consistently bar fishing. I dont know the places in Richmond but we have:
Brownsville bar ( very popular )
Derby Reach
Poplar bar
2 Bit bar
Duncan bar ( very popular )
Mission bridge bar ( very popular )

Anything above Mission CPR bridge is not considered tidal. So their are 6 popular bars from Surrey to Mission. Like I said I am not too familiar with locations lower than Surrey. With even a dozen of popular bars from Richmond - Mission how much money would that cost including time? My guess is very little in the gran scheme of things.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2012, 10:58:13 PM »

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Their are only maybe 12 or so really popular spots on the lower fraser where people are consistently bar fishing. I dont know the places in Richmond but we have:
Brownsville bar ( very popular )
Derby Reach
Poplar bar
2 Bit bar
Duncan bar ( very popular )
Mission bridge bar ( very popular )

Anything above Mission CPR bridge is not considered tidal. So their are 6 popular bars from Surrey to Mission. Like I said I am not too familiar with locations lower than Surrey. With even a dozen of popular bars from Richmond - Mission how much money would that cost including time? My guess is very little in the gran scheme of things.

Richmond

No. 3 Rd Pier
No. 2 Rd/ London's Landing
Imperial Landing
Mitchell Island Pier
McDonald Beach Boat Launch
Gary Point
North Arm Stretch
Triangle Beach

Deas Park in Delta

In reality Richmond only has 1 or 2 places where bar fishing for salmon can be successful...i believe Rod frequents these places  ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:07:32 PM by blaydRnr »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2012, 11:38:18 PM »

Me??? No... never... ;D

Some very good ideas being suggested, but there is one single reason that prohibits them from being practiced.

$$$

The most cost effective method of information distribution is via different tools on the internet. Distribution of posters at different locations requires manpower, which is already unavailable due to time spent on patrolling fisheries in three different sectors as well as office time.

A good alternative, is to create a core volunteer group to take on this task. The time and effort can come from existing angling clubs, which receive notices, print them, and have volunteers distributing them. Businesses such as our website and local tackle stores already distribute information to our customers, so community-based distribution will cover just about all users. Unfortunately, clubs are already having difficulty recruiting members and some have ended in recent years due to a lack of membership. These tasks also require very dedicated volunteers who are willing to spend a few hours per week in the summer and fall to put up posters at all the locations.

Some may suggest that protection of our fish is DFO and MoE's job so they should be doing this. I say, protection of our fish is everyone's job. If resource is running thin, anglers can pick up the slack by putting in a bit of time to help out.

FF

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2012, 12:57:13 AM »

Don't even get me started on DFO. First of all bait banning the lower fraser river to protect the coho that are being flossing just up stream. Than if they are lucky enough to make it through the flossers. They will hit a native net on the way up. Takes a respectful man to bust a bunch of oldtimers fishing legit. While there are loosers out flossing upstream. Never mind the nets. Glad to see our license fees and taxes are bring used for something productive.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2012, 05:15:48 AM »

Don't even get me started on DFO. First of all bait banning the lower fraser river to protect the coho that are being flossing just up stream. Than if they are lucky enough to make it through the flossers. They will hit a native net on the way up. Takes a respectful man to bust a bunch of oldtimers fishing legit. While there are loosers out flossing upstream. Never mind the nets. Glad to see our license fees and taxes are bring used for something productive.

"Bingo" you sir have nailed the correct.

Not only are people just up river a few miles snagging said endangered Coho, but a large majority of the time they are bonking them as well, along with Interior Steelhead.

Banning bait upstream of Mission bridge is pointless and does nothing, DFO have agreed and promised to revise this for many years.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2012, 09:31:24 AM »

Some may suggest that protection of our fish is DFO and MoE's job so they should be doing this. I say, protection of our fish is everyone's job. If resource is running thin, anglers can pick up the slack by putting in a bit of time to help out.

A very valid point that many (not all) anglers forget. If you really do care, get out and volunteer when you can. Everyone is busy and everyone deserves a little down time but even a couple times a year helps out.

mko72

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2012, 10:01:39 AM »

I think I have a solution to this internet/non internet accessibility issue.

You know when you go to the store and there's some poor teenager outside dressed like a mascot for let's say.....a pizza place?  So he's dressed like a giant slice of pizza and carrying a sign that says "ask me about my peperoni" 

Okay, so the people who know about the bait ban and CARE about the fish stocks and want to protect ENDANGERED species throw on an orange vest, like the ones that traffic control people wear on construction sites. 

On the back of the vest it says "Ask me about my bait" and then when people come up and ask you about your bait you say "I'm not using any bait because there's a bait ban in effect! Now go tie on a spoon!"  Assuming you don't get a punch in the nose, it's win-win!  The vests could have the lettering done in multiple languages too!

chronicfisher

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2012, 04:44:20 AM »

The do make a booklet one for tidal and another one for non-tidal. The non-tidal one is the size of a magazine and the tidal one is the size of roughly about 4"x6" booklet style. Every place that sells a fishiing licence will have them but the problem is that the Government only prints so many copies and once they are gone then thats it till the followiing year. The other issue is that the booklets are good for 3 seasons so any regulation changes that come up one year will not be printed in next years booklet but it will be in there when they print out a new version. I know from first hand experience that tackle shops, well the one that I waas at any wways, will inform their customers to make sure to check the fisheries web site for any in season changes before they go out. They also will post on a board in their store about the changes to regulations.

I never knew about this! But I will be keeping an eye for  them.