Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River Fishing.  (Read 18309 times)

Brian

Re: Capilano River Fishing.
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 01:41:55 AM »

Quote from: Brian
Are powerbaits considered bait or lure?

Quote from: Rodney
Bait.

Thanks Rodney.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 01:45:22 AM by Brian »

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 08:23:15 AM »

How's the fishing situation at the mouth of the river these days?
Does Capilano have Pink salmon runs too?
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 01:53:25 PM »

I fished the mouth of the cap today. Lots of fish jumping, coho and pinks. Unfortunately they are pretty tight lipped. Speaking of unfortunate, does anyone know if aboriginals are allowed to purposely snag fish (using big weighted treble hooks), and keep the fish regardless of weather or not its a hatchery coho or wild? I'm looking to bash anyone, I would just like to know.

One more question. I don't fish that area much but I thought I would give it a try. I might go back this weekend and try to defeat the tight lipped fish. However, there appeared to be a number of people fishing beneath the lions gate bridge on the same side of the inlet as the cap. How does one get over there, I thought it was native land?

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 02:19:37 PM »

Nothing was biting, there was a lady there that had one on early but it got off right away. I was there from dark till about 10:00am and saw none caught (other than the snagged fish draged in by the aboriginal fellows)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »

does anyone know if aboriginals are allowed to purposely snag fish (using big weighted treble hooks), and keep the fish regardless of weather or not its a hatchery coho or wild? I'm looking to bash anyone, I would just like to know.
TTBOMK - Yup.

twocoaster

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 02:52:29 PM »

TTBOMK - Yup.

Whether the law says they are allowed or not is really a moot point - there is no political will to enforce when it comes to "First Nations".

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 03:08:18 PM »

What is the best spot on the Cap right now, has anyone fished Cable Pool lately?

Thanks Nicolas.

River is low, low, low.

mr.p

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 03:33:54 PM »

Water level hasn't been above a 1 since the end of June I believe.
Mid May through Mid June were fantastic.  We had a period of hot weather which caused alot of snowmelt and filled up the dam pretty quick.
There were many days where the water level was between a 2-3.  The last big push of fish came at the end of June when the water jumped
to a 3 for about 12 hours.  The next morning it was back down to a 1, but it seemed to bring alot of fish in.  I landed 10 nice coho that morning.

The river is very low right now.  I was there about a week ago.
Saw a nice pod of about 6-8 steelies up in the cable pool.
There seem to be a few fish moving through as I saw a couple chromers "hooked".
The hatchery had some fresh fish moving up the ladder as well.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 04:26:38 PM »

when do the springs enter Capilano?
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

Brian

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 06:27:16 PM »

Saw a nice pod of about 6-8 steelies up in the cable pool.
There seem to be a few fish moving through as I saw a couple chromers "hooked".
The hatchery had some fresh fish moving up the ladder as well.

Yup, those were beautiful fish.

I saw one with a hook, leader, and float swimming around.  Looks like somebody's mainline broke above the float  :P

jon5hill

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 06:53:58 PM »

This kid named Gavin fishes there and uses a pencil lead, 8 foot leader, large hook with a small piece of wool on it. He drops his line in where the fish are, drags it back and when he "gets a bite" he tries to "set the hook" by yanking the rod up. I saw him hook 2 and he had bonked a big one earlier, the other 2 were hooked in the tail or body. I just don't see the fun in snagging fish.. moreover, why do people try and pretend like they are biting it. 2 other guys switched to his "setup" when he hooked them. I wish this was illegal.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 06:57:39 PM »

Jon, it IS illegal. Best to phone the RAPP line everytime when you see this practice up there. If the reports are frequent enough, COs will make the time to show up, observe the practice and hand out tickets.

poncho

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »

Hey Funeral of Hearts.

I guess that was you I was fishing next to on Wednesday at the Cap. It was pretty frustrating to watch those guys snagging fish and then selling them to people on the walkway. I don't think they appreciated it too much when they saw my badge and I threatened to confiscate their gear for illegally selling fish.

My buddy was under the Lions Gate Bridge the same time we were at the Cap and he caught numerous pinks and 1 Coho. I might try over there next week.

mr.p

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »

This kid named Gavin fishes there and uses a pencil lead, 8 foot leader, large hook with a small piece of wool on it. He drops his line in where the fish are, drags it back and when he "gets a bite" he tries to "set the hook" by yanking the rod up. I saw him hook 2 and he had bonked a big one earlier, the other 2 were hooked in the tail or body. I just don't see the fun in snagging fish.. moreover, why do people try and pretend like they are biting it. 2 other guys switched to his "setup" when he hooked them. I wish this was illegal.

Sick!  You should definately phone it in.  I think you will see a better response when reporting such infractions on smaller more vulnerable flows.
Intentionally snagging fish is illegal. 
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 10:50:07 PM »

My buddy was under the Lions Gate Bridge the same time we were at the Cap and he caught numerous pinks and 1 Coho. I might try over there next week.

How do you get to that spot under the bridge? I checked it out on my way home on thursday, and i couldn't figure out where people were parking.