Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why smoke and fish??  (Read 23236 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: why smoke and fish??
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 11:33:23 AM »

Nothing wrong with complaining about it on the forum in my opinion as long as it is civil. Heck go to any local website and see the number of posts about flossing. I enjoy an occasional alcoholic beverage but I don't indulge while I'm fishing because I have to drive home. I see too many fishermen drinking on the river and then getting into their vehicle and driving home.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 12:03:56 PM »

Actually, my point was more along the lines of, everyone has rights.  Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees it. That doesn't mean YOU GET YOUR OWN WAY just because you have that right.  It ultimately means that there are more of your rights to be infringed upon.  Look at the criminal justice system where it appears that the criminals get more rights than the victims do.  And in some cases, this goes beyond appearances.  Karla Homolka's due out in July, I think, after serving 12 years.  Little comfort for Leslie Mahaffy or Kristian French.   Where were their rights?
Ironically, your right to a right is both a right and in many cases, still a privilege.  Enough editorializing from me.  Everyone, have a nice day.
President Club S. C. & P.

Sandhead

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 12:37:39 PM »

Smoke them if you got them  8) :P
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 12:40:38 PM »

You don’t need to smoke. You might need a vehicle to get to work, make money and feed your family but you don’t need to smoke!

I was at an open mike standup comedy show last night and here in Copenhagen, unfortunately, you are still allowed to smoke cigarettes in public places. This means I had to sit for 3 hours in a smoke filled room, and after inhaling second hand smoke all evening, I ended up losing my voice. I did not shout or speak loudly. Loosing my voice last night and its still not good today was due to all the smoke. I’ve tried it before and it is really bothering me. I know I chose to go to this comedy show and I could just have stayed home. But if that is the case, I would never be able to go anywhere with my friends (none of them smokers) so what is a non-smoker to do?

Not to speak of the fear slowly creeping up my spine, thinking about all the bad stuff second hand smoke can do to you. I lost my mother to cancer when I was young, and believe me, I know what cancer looks like – it is not pretty. So personally I just do not understand the people who smoke. I know they have their rights so all I can say is that I would be so embarrassed, so ashamed to be a smoker, knowing how many people I hurt and in general just bug with my stinky (yes, smokers, you do literally stink!), foggy presence.

The end.

(Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know a lot of stuff can give cancer and that you might run someone over with a car or give someone bronchitis because you farted! I just do not like the idea that I have to move away because someone else wants to ruin their life 2 meters from where I am standing.)

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 12:42:07 PM »

I feel very strongly against smoking  ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 01:34:25 PM »

Do you drink Nina? If you do, it sickens me to think you drink not too mention the smell you give off after a night of drinking. You see thats not really the way I feel but reading what you wrote disgusts me. Its borderline predjudice. My mother had colon cancer and I know what cancer looks like as well especially when she was going through chemo. Here in Canada we have rights and freedoms and allot of us choose to smoke. We cant smoke in all the bars anymore, a right that was taken away from us. You might be missing out on some good friends because you are predjudice against smokers, allot of us are hard working, fun loving people. Doctors,Scientists, Nurses etc allot of those people smoke and they are people trying to fight it. Dont blame us, blame the tobacco industries if you want to blame anyone.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2005, 01:48:11 PM »

well, now that we've got this off smoking weed while fishing, through beer and drinking and driving, and are on to cigarettes (tobacco), I (having worked for Philip Morris Int. many years ago, making cigarettes) can sympathize with you poor hooked smokers.  There are lots of barbs on that hook, it's a hard one to throw.

But people do . . . and you folks look pretty foolish to people who have stopped.

Here's one reason not to smoke while you got a big one on the line--saw this on the Salmon River (Idaho) when I was a kid:  fellow was playing a salmon while holding a smoke between his lips.  He was using that newfangled monofillament nylon line.  He pulled back on the pole, line met glowing coal on that cigarette,  . . . .

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2005, 01:58:26 PM »

Here in Canada we have rights and freedoms...

None of that in Denmark... ;D

You might be missing out on some good friends because you are predjudice against smokers....

But... ;)

I feel very strongly against smoking  ;) (not smokers)

Many of our friends are smokers. Itosh, lukeyvr... Steelhead King even puffs a big cigar from time to time. ::)

I dont drink very often and I dont smoke weed but I have freinds that do and they are great friends. I do go to the gym everyday and keep myself fit as can be despite the fact that I smoke cigs, but I can bench 300lbs not bad for a smoker hey.

I think you're misunderstanding something here. I and a few others are not judging your integrity as a human being. I'm not sure why your ability to bench press 300lbs (but, think how much more you can press if you take the ciggies away ;) ) or your good friendship with weed smokers have any relevance here. The point that some of us (or at least I) are trying to make is smoking weed or cigarettes can be harmful and not too pleasant to others around you. Smoking weed or cigarette does not suggest your inability to engage in social activities. ;) They're not complaints, they're simply opinions that are backed up with some facts, nothing personal.

I like Merc's reminder of our rights to have rights, even though I had to read that a few times near the end to get it right. ;D Unfortunately, these days it seems some individuals choose to take advantage of those rights and abuse our system. ::)

Maybe they should have smoker-only bars and clubs in this town? Personally, I am relieved that indoor smoking ban is in effect here. When I am in Europe, I try to stay away from malls or any public indoor facilities because of the amount of smoke accumulate inside the buildings, even though I really want to go in. :-\

I think the last five years, I've seen Nina drank two glasses of wine in total. The breath seems ok too from those two glasses, from what I have experienced. ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2005, 02:39:00 PM »

In the past you used to be able to smoke in office buildings, even the teachers were allowed to smoke in the teachers lounge. Slowly they have taken away rights that we had. I understand the ban in restaraunts since people are eating I am fine with that but bars? Allot of non-smokers pick up a ciggarette only when they drink. I agree that us as smokers pollute the air but so do big industries along rivers, big smoke stacks,vehicles etc ( dont tell me you ride a bike to every fishing hole LOL ) anyways my point is that us as smokers have just as much right to smoke in places we are allowed to do so which is getting less and less all the time. If I could quit tommorow I would it in a heartbeat but its not that easy and for anyone who has never smoked has no clue what its like. As far as the weight training it doesnt have much an effect on my ability to lift weights it has more effect on my cardiovascular activites. Actually allot of body builders smoke believe it or not as it boosts their metabolism.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2005, 03:06:50 PM »

I like Merc's reminder of our rights to have rights, even though I had to read that a few times near the end to get it right. ;D

Ha!  Made you think! ;D
President Club S. C. & P.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2005, 04:08:10 PM »

So many responses and so many viewpoints! I might as well add my 2 cents.

Weed and public drinking is still illegal and it's not appropriate to condone it. If you want a drink then drink where it is legal to do so.  If you choose to smoke up then at least do it discretely, smoking weed is not a RIGHT. You wouldn't smoke up infront of the police right? that tells you something...

This is pretty black and white even for someone who sees in shades of gray  ;D

btw, I smoke cigarettes but I don't go sit next to a non smoker and puff away. Just like I wouldn't expect the non smoker to sit next to me and complain that I'm smoking.

(try substituting the word 'fart' for 'smoke' in the above 2 sentences :P)

Respect each other regardless of who's in the right.

mr.pink

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2005, 04:40:39 PM »

i smoke pot.i have my whole life(45) pretty much.i don t drink,although i have an occaisonal beer.i don t
see the problem smoking out side,if you were there first you could ask them to move abit.but if they were there first,then you should move,simple.its the great outdoors and lots of room.
 and if it wasn t for our neigbours to the south it would be decriminalized all ready,and i for 1 can t wait for the day,cheers.

and asking why smoke and fish,why have a beer and fish?why do people do anything? because they enjoy it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 04:44:26 PM by mr.pink »

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2005, 10:35:37 PM »

I think the reason I do feel very strongly against smoking is partly because I am in Denmark and people smoke every where! Women in Denmark live, what was it, something around 5 years shorter than our neighbors the Norwegian women because danish women smoke so much.

I know I come of as a bitch when I write stuff like in the other post, but as a said I do feel very strongly against smoking (not smokers as Rodney pointed out...) and here in Denmark there is no where to escape the smoke. Even in malls where the rules a slowly changing towards no smoking people still smoke. The funny thing is I don't remember ever been annoyed at a Canadian for smoking. You hardly ever see Canadian smoke. At least not compared to over here....

No one is gonna change my view of smoking. I would feel ashamed and embarrassed if I smoked, that doesn't mean I expect other people to feel the same, I know you don't and I don't really care if you do, it's your life, but personally I would still feel ashamed. I do respect people who choose to smoke, of course they can be great people, I never said otherwise. My dad and brother used to smoke and I love them but that doesn't mean I agree with it (duh..) and if one of my friends started smoking I would try with all my might to talk her or him out of it.

Oh and I don't drink, but that’s mostly just because I don't like the taste too much. Danes are the people in Europe who drink the most and drinking is a big part of our culture. Since I am not gonna get cancer or loose my voice from seeing my friend drinking I don't mind (of course its bad when people drink too much, get sick, drive while drunk etc.).

And I do ride my bike everywhere, but that’s mostly because people can't afford a car over here until they are 30   ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 10:37:43 PM by Nina »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2005, 10:39:55 PM »

I know I come of as a bitch....

Well.... :-X

i smoke pot.i have my whole life(45) pretty much.i don t drink,although i have an occaisonal beer.i don t
see the problem smoking out side,if you were there first you could ask them to move abit.but if they were there first,then you should move,simple.its the great outdoors and lots of room.

This one probably summed it up the best.

If a group of short floaters are working on a stretch of the river and a bottom bouncer came in at the top, guess who's going to be moving after five minutes? ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2005, 08:30:27 AM »

Cancer comes to people even if they live a very healthy life style. its very unfortunate but its true. My mother never smoked, only drank an occasional glass of wine. She also ate very healthy not eating much red meat and eating lots of vegetables. I know I need to quit smoking and maybe once I finish getting my realtors license I will quit. When someone that smokes has stress in their lives its very hard to quit and I will quit once the stress of selling my house and getting that license are complete. Oh and by the way I dont even leave my cig butts on the ground I put the cig out and put it in a plastic bag and carry it out with me and throw it in the trash. How many smokers do you know that do that?

Belong to the "4 F Club"