Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why smoke and fish??  (Read 23235 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
why smoke and fish??
« on: May 11, 2005, 10:42:57 PM »

hey guys and dolls...

Just wondering what the hell is up with all the people who go fishing and smoke weed.  I dont understand why people do this.  It slows down your reaction time and also makes the whole place impairs.  I am so sick of going fishing and getting stoned off the guy fishing next to me.  Why do they do it ..Its dangerous when your fishing one slip and your a goner sometimes... :o  stay off the week while your fishing
see ya on the river

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Re: why smoke and fish??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 10:43:57 PM »

i meant weed not week...

sorry ;D
see ya on the river

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 10:56:11 PM »

I totally agree. I guess they think it's "harmless".

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 11:03:19 PM »

lololololol "getting stone from the guy smoking it next to you"  lmao  ;D ;D ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 11:08:27 PM »

lololololol "getting stone from the guy smoking it next to you"  lmao  ;D ;D ;D
I was laughing at that as well. You cant get stoned from being next to it give me a break. Although I dont smoke that stuff I dont disagree with it. If you dont like it than move. Do you own the air we breathe? Do you own the land that you are fishing on? Its different if they are drinking and driving or drinking and leaving their beer cans all over the place but if they are smoking weed I dont see any harm in it. Being a decendent of the Netherlands and knowing their economy and their laws we could learn allot from them since their crime rate is not near what ours is. We live in BC pot capital of the world you should be used to it by now. I guess you have never been to a good rock concert than.....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 11:18:53 PM »

How'd u escape from the circus? Do I know you?

Roots

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 11:31:58 PM »

Yup, it's getting pathetic. Last summer I saw quite a bit of that. I've seen drunk/stoned guys peeing into rivers, throwing lawnchairs, throwing rocks, mouthing off to other fishermen, and getting into fights. Seems like it's getting worse every year.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 11:45:03 PM »

i am not saying its bad to smoke it or i own the river or ground that i am fishing on.. but what i am saying is if it discomforts others then why do it... not to mention if your fishing you should be somewhat funtional..... and yes i have been to a rock concert and there is a place and time for it all my friend....
see ya on the river

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 11:54:11 PM »

I don't agree with two of the statements.

If you dont like it than move. Do you own the air we breathe?

Yes, it is a free country, and a great one too. However, if one's action interferes with someone else's right, why should this someone else move away? If your neighbor starts playing loud music, do you simply move away because you do not like it? If you arrive at your favorite fishing spot at first light, ten minutes later someone pops out with a joint, puffing away into your air, would you simply move away if the fish are biting?

We live in BC pot capital of the world you should be used to it by now.

This one is especially troubling in my mind. If a good number of people are conducting illegal activities, we should just get used to it and let them be? Whether you agree or disagree with the action, it is after all, still illegal in this country.

That kind of thinking sets a dangerous trend among the youth (don't meant to sound old... lol). It might not be the most dangerous substance on the planet, it is still harmful to you. The tobacco-like substance can lead to the same respiratory problems that cigarette smokers get. THC in marijuana increases heartrate, blood pressure, lowers body temperature, changes one's perception on time and place, affects one's taste, vision, hearing and smell. Too much of it lead to loss of cordination, memory, development of anxiety and paranoia. That does not sound fun at all. ;) Respiratory diseases from smoking it include daily cough and phlegm, chronic bronchitis, and more frequent chest colds.

Others might not get stoned when standing around a marijuana smoker, the second-hand smoke isn't exactly good for you....

Oh ya, and it stinks.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 02:53:50 AM »

I don't agree with two of the statements.

If you dont like it than move. Do you own the air we breathe?

Yes, it is a free country, and a great one too. However, if one's action interferes with someone else's right, why should this someone else move away? If your neighbor starts playing loud music, do you simply move away because you do not like it? If you arrive at your favorite fishing spot at first light, ten minutes later someone pops out with a joint, puffing away into your air, would you simply move away if the fish are biting?

We live in BC pot capital of the world you should be used to it by now.

This one is especially troubling in my mind. If a good number of people are conducting illegal activities, we should just get used to it and let them be? Whether you agree or disagree with the action, it is after all, still illegal in this country.

That kind of thinking sets a dangerous trend among the youth (don't meant to sound old... lol). It might not be the most dangerous substance on the planet, it is still harmful to you. The tobacco-like substance can lead to the same respiratory problems that cigarette smokers get. THC in marijuana increases heartrate, blood pressure, lowers body temperature, changes one's perception on time and place, affects one's taste, vision, hearing and smell. Too much of it lead to loss of cordination, memory, development of anxiety and paranoia. That does not sound fun at all. ;) Respiratory diseases from smoking it include daily cough and phlegm, chronic bronchitis, and more frequent chest colds.

Others might not get stoned when standing around a marijuana smoker, the second-hand smoke isn't exactly good for you....

Oh ya, and it stinks.

Since we're talking about rights here, here's an interesting thought.  If someone chooses to smoke up/drink beer/etc in front of another person, who decided that the offended person should be the one with the "right" to have the person committing the offence to move?  Or, what if the smoker/beer drinker/etc person was in the productive spot first?  Does the offended person have the right to ask the offender to move in this instance?  As an ex-smoker of cigarettes,  I am constantly amazed at how the rights of non smokers have taken precedence over the rights of smokers.  I understand that yes, there are health issues involved for non smokers exposed to second hand smoke, however it is a legally sanctioned activity but as it is topically popular, let's trash the smokers and take away their rights to smoke because it's far more politically attractive than say, encouraging people to quit drinking.  Look at the total social and medical costs (broken families, car accidents, court time for DUI charges, insurance costs etc)  of drinking. Way higher,  I bet.  Let's get everyone to quit drinking.   Right, they tried that in the US.  It was called Prohibition.  Miserable failure, that.

Now, I understand that pot is illegal and that drinking in a public place also qualifies as such.  But then again, so is peeing outside and I've seen lots of fisherman doing that (as well as non fishermen) because there are no handy toilets nearby.  Raise your hands everyone:  Who has peed outside at least once in your life?  (my hand is raised).  If my opinion is that peeing outside is offensive, I want anyone who has to pee to pack up your stuff, hike out and then drive to the nearest public washroom and do your business there and then come back and resume fishing.  It's my right because you've offended me and it's the law.  And why should I have to put up  offensive behavior like that?  Besides, I'm sure the urinic acid will have a negative impact on the environment too, so I'm saving nature at the same time. So who here is going to observe my right to fish in a pee free zone, if you have to go bad?

Okay, the issue of people conducting illegal activities and the attitude that we should simply get used to it does not sit well with me either.  However, it does seem to be the attitude of most of the politicians who run this country as evidenced by the number of judges' lenient to non existant sentencing they elect to impose.  That doesn't make it right, I'm simply stating a fact. 

Today's youth lives in a very complex world.  I understand that.  Here's a thought.  Who are any of us to say what today's youth should be thinking?  What gives us the right to impose our moral standards on young and impressionable minds?  Going back to the anti smoking scenario.  If you look at the ads for antismoking that are aimed at youths, the message is different, but the technique is the same used by tobacco companies targeting their markets (which does include youths, I'm sure).  Poke fun at smokers/tobaco companies.  Back in the day, the tobacco companies used to poke fun at non smokers by not portraying them as cool.  Not saying right or wrong, just asking do the means justify the ends?
Rod, you wrote the effects of pot are:THC in marijuana increases heartrate, blood pressure, lowers body temperature, changes one's perception on time and place, affects one's taste, vision, hearing and smell. Too much of it lead to loss of cordination, memory, development of anxiety and paranoia."  These are the same physical characteristics of being drunk.  Not a good thing in either case, I'm sure plus you get the added bonus of lung/respiratory problems if you have prolonged exposure. Oh yeah, you have to actually experience it for awhile before you start to suffer the daily phelgm, chronic bronchitis etc. 

Darn, I just had another thought.  Pollution from our cars are also going to give us these same respiratory issues.  Don't believe me?  Just ask anyone with a compromised respiratory system who lives out in the Fraser Valley what it's like in the middle of a hot stagnant summer day.  And some of these people never smoked! Even people who don't have respiratory problems feel it.   That's why they have that smog alert thing as part of the weather forecast. Maybe we should give up driving our cars so they won't have to go through that every summer too.  Okay, raise your hands everyone. Who's going to give up driving ppermanently so that people who live out in the Fraser Valley will be able to breathe properly on hot stagnant summer days?  What if they ask you to?  Would you?  What if they say please?  Aren't their rights being compromised by our actions?  Aren't they entitled to breathe freely too, especially if they ask?

The long winded point I'm trying to make here is that everyone has rights.  And rights get infringed upon by other rights.  But no one right, except as decided in statute or case law should be allowed to take precedence over another right.  I understand possession of pot is illegal but I don't believe the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act specifically states that smoking pot is illegal. Yes Virginia, there is a difference between the two.  So ironically, while possessing the pot is illegal, smoking that same pot is not.  But what if it wasn't pot, what if it were cigarettes or cigars (I smoke those).  Smoking either of those is legal and yes, you can get second hand smoke from it as well. If I'm fishing at a spot first where the fish are stacked up, why should I be the one to move because someone doesn't like the smell of cigar smoke?  And if that person wants to argue about secondhand smoke, they would be hyprocrites for driving down to the fishing hole because their automobile emissions would subject many people to all sorts of respiratory problems.  So who has the right?

i am not saying its bad to smoke it or i own the river or ground that i am fishing on.. but what i am saying is if it discomforts others then why do it... not to mention if your fishing you should be somewhat funtional..... and yes i have been to a rock concert and there is a place and time for it all my friend....

Actually, I think you are saying it's bad.  See your original post below.

hey guys and dolls...

Just wondering what the hell is up with all the people who go fishing and smoke weed. I dont understand why people do this. It slows down your reaction time and also makes the whole place impairs. I am so sick of going fishing and getting stoned off the guy fishing next to me. Why do they do it ..Its dangerous when your fishing one slip and your a goner sometimes... :o stay off the week while your fishing

Mea Culpa for the long post.

Imagine what this thread would look like if we substitute the words, smoking up with the words flossing or snagging.    ;D
President Club S. C. & P.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 08:26:24 AM »

Well said Merc!!! Question for you Rod, are you an expert on marijuana? Also the Police tolerate it to a degree anything under an eigth of an ounce is tolerable these days, anything more and they could charge you. I am no expert but I have been around it all my life and I know what it does to people and people that are alcoholics are allot worse than those that smoke. So all you people that dont smoke do you drink? Well if you do than you may end up with liver cancer just like my grandfather did and he died at the age of 63. I do smoke cigs and if someone is smoking cigs next to you in a fishnig spot it would be just as bad if you were the non-smoker and possibly even worse than if it were pot. Cigs are legal so if you didnt like it and even if you were at that spot first you would have to either leave or put up with it. Personally I dont care about if people choose to smoke or drink as long as they are responsible.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

allwaysfishin

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 08:42:15 AM »

that's a good question.... why toke and fish.
why golf and drink beer??
weed has this stigma that is rooted back in the 1920's and 30's......the stone age basically.
I smoke while i fish for the same reason one has a beer, other than the liquid satisfaction factor. It is relaxing to the mind and body, allows focus on the task at hand.. and not much else hehehe....but isn't that the point? Go fishing and while doing that we are changing our focus from life to just fishing, some of us choose alcohol some of us choose weed, to each his/her own.
  the real issue should be discretion. If i see a family or a guy and his children approaching while we are "partaking in our chosen refreshment" the stuff gets put away. Boozers don't generally have to be concerned about that even though drinking in public is illegal too.

I could ask the same question.... why are there so many "boozers" out there fishing, alcohol makes you dizzy and impairs your ability to react...... silly boozers... you'd catch more fish if you joined our team. the cannabis-fly has made every fishing trip a great one.... the fish seem to like it too.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 09:12:24 AM »

yeah, those pot smokers, laughing and goofing around, not taking things nearly seriously enough and just enjoying themselves, and poluting the bank with all those discarded roaches.  These guys really curdle my milk.  Where's my gun?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 10:53:38 AM »

I don't drink either actually. ;) I'm no Saint though. ;D This is where everyone has their own beliefs, morals comes in. ;) I guess I have always been taught to play by the rules and rarely question it. Although alcohol and emission from cars also do tremendous amount of harm to your body, that doesn't mean there is a need to put more strain on your body. :P Far too often I've seen folks doing things that are not acceptable when under the influence of weed, alcohol, or a combination of the two. The problems that arise at the river cleanups are good examples.

Imagine what this thread would look like if we substitute the words, smoking up with the words flossing or snagging.

;) Well let's see, would the same approach work? If not, why not? ;D

We live in the salmon country of the world, most people floss, which is a legal activity, so you should be used to it by now. ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 11:22:29 AM »

Your right Rod flossing is legal. I dont agree with it but its still legal. If I was on a river and saw those gys bouncing their betties all over the place I wouldnt say anything but I would shake my head. I cant do anything about them doing it but I can choose to stay and fish around them or leave. Just like catching bass and feeding them to my cats is legal. HAHA!!!

I dont drink very often and I dont smoke weed but I have freinds that do and they are great friends. I do go to the gym everyday and keep myself fit as can be despite the fact that I smoke cigs, but I can bench 300lbs not bad for a smoker hey.

Anyways the point is if you dont like being around it just leave or tolerate it. Dont sit on a forum and complain about it since majority of the fishermen do drink and allot do smoke.

Belong to the "4 F Club"