Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Annoucement of Protest Outside Fisheries Minister's office May 1 from 12 to 1 PM  (Read 23132 times)

BNF861

• Old Timer

It's hard to deny bon Chovy's catch record in local Vancouver waters during this time of year. Barely any entries in July in August though.

Also, those a records of coded wire tagged fish (hatchery origin). Any wild uncoded fish would not of been included in that list.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Also, those a records of coded wire tagged fish (hatchery origin). Any wild uncoded fish would not of been included in that list.

He has avid angler data that shows much of the same. Sure lots of Wild South thompson stock during august and some wild harrison in august/ september but not early fraser chinook.

standalone

posted it on my social media.

DanL

• Old Timer

Protest Location and Time: May 1, 2019 from 12 to 1 PM at Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson’s Office
102 W 3 Street, North Vancouver.​

The local fishing stores are getting the word out too.  In-store and on the mailing lists. Wondering if there is any media coverage expected?

hammer

Are early Fraser chinook stocks trackable by the data supplied by Bon Chovy?
By early Fraser, I assume these are the fish we used to fish fro in May. Can someone shed some light these are for upper Fraser tributaries specifically we are talking about. I know the early south Thompson, Stuart area, Bowron all have chinook stocks (along with many others) but so do mid-Fraser rivers like Seton, Stein, Quesnel, etc. Also, the Lillooet has very early Chinooks that run through the lower Fraser in March and April. Are there tagging or hatchery programs associated with these stocks?

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

The local fishing stores are getting the word out too.  In-store and on the mailing lists. Wondering if there is any media coverage expected?

At least three media outlets will be there.
Let's hope our message gets across.
Already Global's lead to the story this morning suggested the protect will be by greedy fishermen protesting closures designed to help stocks that are threatened. Seems like they may have been paid off to tout the government line??

Best of Luck! Give Them Hell Ladz!

Cheers,
Nog

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Already Global's lead to the story this morning suggested the protect will be by greedy fishermen protesting closures designed to help stocks that are threatened. Seems like they may have been paid off to tout the government line??

I doubt anyone is paying off anyone, it's just a juicier story to tell. This is why I have a lot of reservation in this type of initiatives. I understand and support the reason, but it's not going to change any decisions and only make ourselves look worse in the public eyes.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

I doubt anyone is paying off anyone, it's just a juicier story to tell. This is why I have a lot of reservation in this type of initiatives. I understand and support the reason, but it's not going to change any decisions and only make ourselves look worse in the public eyes.

Not if it is handled right Rod.
They have keynote speakers that are very good.
Also have glossy hand-outs well spelling out the real story here.
Always a chance of backfire of course, but the rednecks have been reigned in, and I personally wish like hell I could be there.

The real message has to get out to counter the misinformation being tossed about by the Minister and his minions.
There are only so many ways to do that.
OK if you wish to bury your head in the sand over the matter, but one heck of a lot that are seriously and negatively affected by these reckless political decisions are not. I stand beside them in solidarity.

And I do wish them All The Best today!

FYI: Another TV station signed on 1/2 an hour ago. If Global decides to run with it's usual dribble, they will now find themselves standing alone while their three counterparts tell the REAL story. Part of me hopes they do...

Nog

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Pacific Angler is on Instagram live now if anyone wishes to follow the protest.

Both Jason T. and Jason A. are doing a good job presenting the information.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I have put up the video on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society FB page.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.

Are early Fraser chinook stocks trackable by the data supplied by Bon Chovy?
By early Fraser, I assume these are the fish we used to fish fro in May. Can someone shed some light these are for upper Fraser tributaries specifically we are talking about. I know the early south Thompson, Stuart area, Bowron all have chinook stocks (along with many others) but so do mid-Fraser rivers like Seton, Stein, Quesnel, etc. Also, the Lillooet has very early Chinooks that run through the lower Fraser in March and April. Are there tagging or hatchery programs associated with these stocks?

Most of the Fraser chinook are not enhanced. The ones that are the fall white chinook from the Chehalis and Chilliwack Hatcheries using Harrison chinook. The early spring run chinook has some enhancement out of Spius Hatchery on the Nicola River working with Nicola, Spius and Coldwater stocks. There is also some enhancement on the Shuswap summer chinook as well as a small assessment enhancement of the Chilco chinook. The Chilco fish are being enhanced and marked so they can be used as an indicator stock for upper Fraser chinook survival and catch distribution.
 There may be some other small public involvement enhancement on a couple of other stocks but nothing significant. Over all, the enhancement on the Fraser is very low. There needs to be a large scale hatchery built in the upper Fraser area that will allow multiple stocks to be enhanced all at once. Would be nice but I can't see that happening as that would require significant money to build as well as operate and the government appears not to want to increase any staffing levels. Sad.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

I have put up the video on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society FB page.

Over 200 showed up to protest an unjustified blanket closure on Chinooks. A few key players went in to the minister's office after the protest to voice their concern but the minister is conveniently not in town, only the receptionist there hearing the soul's complaints from these concerned fishermen. What a shame! He should have at least be on the phone line to hear these people in person. If FN chiefs want to speak to him, would he duck them too? Thousands of tax paying Canadians will be facing great hardship, job or business losses, perhaps even their homes, and the darn minister didn't even bother to address these people. Vote these insensitive politicians who are making such heartless decision (to appease FN) out in next election. That is what we can do to let them know BC fishermen can unite to fight these insensitive politicians.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:56:52 PM by Steelhawk »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Most of the Fraser chinook are not enhanced. The ones that are the fall white chinook from the Chehalis and Chilliwack Hatcheries using Harrison chinook. The early spring run chinook has some enhancement out of Spius Hatchery on the Nicola River working with Nicola, Spius and Coldwater stocks. There is also some enhancement on the Shuswap summer chinook as well as a small assessment enhancement of the Chilco chinook. The Chilco fish are being enhanced and marked so they can be used as an indicator stock for upper Fraser chinook survival and catch distribution.
 There may be some other small public involvement enhancement on a couple of other stocks but nothing significant. Over all, the enhancement on the Fraser is very low. There needs to be a large scale hatchery built in the upper Fraser area that will allow multiple stocks to be enhanced all at once. Would be nice but I can't see that happening as that would require significant money to build as well as operate and the government appears not to want to increase any staffing levels. Sad.

Data ( per Dick Beamish) indicates that survival of hatchery raised chinook is so low what's the point? The days of 5% to 10% returns on released smolts are long gone. Rates are 2 and often much lower. Wild fish do much better. Better to let those wild fish spawn until some more successful hatchery regime in developed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer

Over 200 showed up to protest an unjustified blanket closure on Chinooks. A few key players went in to the minister's office after the protest to voice their concern but the minister is conveniently not in town, only the receptionist there hearing the soul's complaints from these concerned fishermen. What a shame! He should have at least be on the phone line to hear these people in person. If FN chiefs want to speak to him, would he duck them too? Thousands of tax paying Canadians will be facing great hardship, job or business losses, perhaps even their homes, and the darn minister didn't even bother to address these people. Vote these insensitive politicians who are making such heartless decision (to appease FN) out in next election. That is what we can do to let them know BC fishermen can unite to fight these insensitive politicians.
Dude, he's at work today.

Do your homework before you start tossing out "conveniently not in town", "darn minister", "insensitive politicians" (x2), "duck them" blah blah blah

The House of Commons is sitting today https://www.ourcommons.ca/en/sitting-calendar

I expect the protest organizers were aware he would be in Ottawa today. Otherwise, they aren't good organizers.