Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help needed to choose my first Zodiac inflatable  (Read 24480 times)

Tangles

Help needed to choose my first Zodiac inflatable
« on: February 29, 2016, 11:58:39 PM »

Hi guys, I finally decided it's time to get my first craft of some sort and I certainly need some pointers here.
 My storage is limited and anything that would require a trailer is out of question at this moment. I'd like to fish mostly lakes and occasionally places like Nicomen, etc. At first I was looking for a good quality pontoon which I'd set up with trolling motor, fish finder, rod holders, two anchors and so on. But then I thought if I am going to commit serious budget why not take the next step with a zodiac style boat. It's much more versatile and comfortable and I could even throw a small gas motor on it. My son just turned four and I'll be taking him fishing with me soon so a zodiac type of boat just makes more sense.
I did much research on internet already but boats are definitely something you want to touch and see first and pictures can be misleading. I'm excited to go to the boat show on the weekend and finally get some first hand experience :)
I'm thinking a 10.5ft or 11ft with aluminum floor should be spacious enough for me to stand up and fly fish along with the kid, even though I'll be mostly by myself for the next little while. The plethora of choices of zodiacs in that size is mind boggling and I'm getting more and more confused LOL.
So far a few brands seem to appeal to me:
1.) Stryker boats
and particularly the Stryker Ranger LX320
http://www.strykerboats.ca/store/p3/Ranger_LX_320_%2810%27_5%22%29.html
It's a BC brand, based in Terrace with showroom in Burnaby and it seems a good, sturdy build that should be good in various types of water, maybe even zipping trough a Fraser side channel one day.

2.) Aquamarine Boats
Based out in Richmond and apparently very popular among the locals.
http://aquamarineboat.com/index.php?mode=prod&id=270
I like the looks of this model but they seem to have a good variety to choose from.
 They also have this "fishing dedicated" model which comes with rod holders. http://aquamarineboat.com/index.php?mode=prod&id=308
Prices are fairly similar as the Stryker boats, no idea about quality and features.

3.) And lastly Achilles boats.
I saw multiple good comments in older threads here and wow, these guys sure have a selection to choose from! Totally got lost in their catalog, so it gets more and more confusing.
http://achillesinflatables.com/
I could not find prices on their website  but I haven't looked pretty hard either.

So what are your thoughts on these brands? I understand you usually get what you paid for and certainly want a safe and reliable craft first and foremost. I'm guessing all of these boats will serve well but it's so hard to make a choice in something you have zero experience with LOL.
First of all do you guys think 10.5-11ft would be large enough to fly cast along with the kid on the bobber rod?

Also, some people say to look for Hypalon as opposed to PVC as it's much more durable but from what I see all of these boats use PVC? Also is it possible (and easy) to install rod holders aftermarket? What about setting up that all important two anchors rig?
I'm planning to start out with electrical motor and upgrade with gas powered later on.
What trolling motors do you guys use and is it good too look for a used one, what brands and sizes would suffice a day of trolling with let's say 11ft inflatable?

Sorry for being all over the map with questions, rookie as it is I'm excited as a kid in a candy shop :-D
I'll go to the boat show and will tryout as many products as I can but any advice in advance would be greatly appreciated folks!
Cheers

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Re: Help needed to choose my first Zodiac inflatable
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 06:32:57 AM »

Choice is simple. Avoid any PVC boats, they are heavy, poor quality and won't last. From Hyppalon made boats only Avon and
 Achilles are good quality. Zodiac boats are PVC made as well since  nineties.
 Look for them on Craig list Washington, one like this    http://bend.craigslist.org/boa/5447985064.html
 or one like this    http://bend.craigslist.org/boa/5447985064.html
  They are bomb proof and affordable if you know where and how to look for them.
  If you look for a something even sturdier look for an AVON like this one   http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/5468043997.html
    Canadian Craig List has them as well   http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/boa/5391666658.html
 And one more from Canadian side of the border  http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/boa/5459881775.html

Hope this helps.
    T

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 06:59:15 AM »

I won't get into the hypalon vs PVC debate beyond saying that PVC is the lighter. I own both. Each has it's advantages with PVC is being the cheaper fabric and less expensive to work with as production can be automated to some extent. Most inflatables are made with PVC.

Hypalon is just a brand name once owned by Dupont and is usually a neoprene saturated polyester fabric.

You'll need to decide between a tender style (such as in the photos) or a raft. Tenders are better is you want use a motor of any size.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:53:13 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 06:59:51 AM »

I have an 11.5 foot PVC Aquamarine for 4 years now and I've had no problems.It is heavy, but with launching wheels not a problem to get in the water and buy an extra gear bag as trying to fit it into the one it comes with is challenging. Set up takes about 15 minutes, same for taking it down. Scoots along just fine with either my 9.9 or my reliable old 7.5 Johnson. I had a 12 foot tin boat, however, stability was a concern - not a worry with the inflatable ( Miss Barbi, my inflatable fishing love goddess ;D). No unscheduled swims. The inflatable isn't designed for a run across Georgia straight, but I've ran it up the Wigwam in deep cove easily in a bit of a chop, Kamloops lake, Stave etc. Hypalon is indeed the better choice of material, just really expensive.
http://

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 07:57:42 AM »

FYI - Dupont stopped making the hypalon fabric some years back though there was a good stock of it on hand. Some companies such as Achilles bought stock for 3 or 4 years of production but last I heard all that excess stock has been used. The material is now made by generic suppliers who can use the hypalon name as it's now public domain. There's considerable debate about the existing products quality relative to Dupont's and among the various makers. Much the same with PVC though.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:03:03 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 08:42:05 AM »

I started with PVC and moved to Hypalon but still have both boats.
The PVC boat is definitely less rugged and prone to punctures, but if you don't beach it under load you likely won't see any holes.
It is a 10 footer and only weighs 70lbs with the air floor. I also have a plywood floor and never use it - a properly inflated air floor is perfectly stable for two people standing and fly casting. Both of my boats are air floor.

The PVC boat is now 10 years old is completely functional. I haven't had a repair since I first got it, though it only sees a half dozen trips per year. I use a Yammy 2.5hp motor on it.
I don't think it particularly matters which brand you go with. Certainly Aquamarine boats are prevalent and well supported historically.

My Achilles hypalon boat is awesome. At 12 feet it is large enough for two adults, though at 130lbs it is hard for one person to launch. I could get wheels, but I have other options if I'm fishing alone.

If I were buying a boat it would be hypalon. A used hypalon (10yrs old or less) in good shape works too since they last forever (30 years). I also wouldn't hesitate to recommend a PVC boat for those on a budget.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 11:18:21 AM »

good info from Typhoon. Hypalon boats can be reconditioned and restored to near new condition by application of neoprene paint. UV is the enemy of both PVC and hypalon but hypalon is far more resistant.  It's favored by boaters in the tropics It's generally more resistant to chemical fuel etc than PVC. Hypalon is easier to patch. I never had much success patching PVC but hypalon was doable.

ShaunO

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 01:02:12 PM »

Zodiac boats are PVC made as well since  nineties.

Not true.  Their entry level models are glued PVC, but their larger tenders and RHIB's are Hypalon or Hypalon derivatives.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 02:21:01 PM »

Not true.  Their entry level models are glued PVC, but their larger tenders and RHIB's are Hypalon or Hypalon derivatives.
True, but they are extremely expen$ive.

Tangles

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 02:50:19 PM »

Thanks for the great input guys:)
It seems like Hypalon is indeed the go-to material but any 10ft hypalon boat retails new for up to $4000 which is way out of my price range of $2000 max. By the time you add motor, anchors, holders it's gonna balloon to $5K which is unthinkable at this point.
I did scout Craigslist but something holds me up from spending $2K on a 15 yr old inflatable   ::)  I may have to settle in the cheapo range with a new PVC (<$2000), they come with 5 year warranty so that should buy me some time.
For that money it seems like Aquamarine has good offers. It appeals to me that they are based locally and any further replacements/repairs should be easier to arrange.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:45:08 PM by Tangles »

ShaunO

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »

True, but they are extremely expen$ive.
Not really... PVC is just that much cheaper, and an inferior product to hypalon.  I'm not saying PVC is crap.  I am saying that hypalon is MY prefered material due to its abrasion resistance, puncture resistance, ease of repair, and resistance to (petro)chemical damage, over other materials in the market.

Old Blue

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 08:12:21 PM »

If you're going for new and have the $$$ I'd go with Achilles or Brig.  There's loads of deals on good used boats on craigslist.  I'd recommend getting a used one to try before investing in a brand new boat high quality boat.  Here's some good information that's a bit dated but still very useful:
http://www.my-inflatable-boat.com/inflatable-boats-for-sale.html

Old Blue

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 08:14:51 PM »

I'd avoid the stryker even though at first glance they look decent.  Aquamarine has had better reviews but you'll find a high quality used boat for the same price.
Achilles 10 ft $800 http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/5431668928.html
Achilles 9ft and 6 HP motor $1350 US http://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/5425565989.html
Avon 11ft $1800 "firm" but has been for sale for months and was $2200 http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/boa/5467186876.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:20:26 PM by Old Blue »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 09:13:51 PM »

I have a 10.5 foot Achilles with a plywood floor and when inflated I can lift it myself when needed to get it to the water's edge.  Most of the time, however, I usually just use a small 2 wheel hand dolly to wheel it in the bag down to the water for assembly.  When i want to move it inflated on the roof of the truck (ie: when wanting to move quickly from one lake to another), I have used the hand dolly with a small piece of a pool noodle, sliced length wise and fitted over the metal foot (or sometime a folded towel will do), which I slip under the boat and use as an impromptu wheel cart to get the boat up and down the boat launch ramp.  I have an 8Hp Tohatsu that simply kicks this boat along when I am alone or with my 10 year old son, and a small electric trolling motor for easy maneuvering on marl flats.  It is stable enough for a couple to stand and fly fish or spin cast and has lasted well over a decade with a single small puncture in a rear bladder that was easily patched.
Not all those who wander are lost

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 10:56:58 AM »

Finding a high quality, gently used model will be your best bet.  They come up for sale often, just be ready to pounce on a good deal.

The PVC vs. Hypalon 'debate' aside.  I had good success with a Maxxon PVC inflatable boat.  I bought it used and had it for 6-7 years, sold it for what I paid for it.  But only used it a few times and it was mostly stored indoors partially inflated.  So it performed and held air as new.

Stryker, Aquamarine etc are all made in China (probably in the same place).  There are new brands that pop up all the time as someone gets ballsy to have the manufacturer slap a name bar of their choosing on a container load of boats and try to make a go of it.  They can be of varying quality.

I 2nd this hypalon one;
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/5431668928.html