Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brunette River  (Read 22558 times)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Brunette River
« on: July 09, 2004, 09:57:45 PM »

Anyone here fishes the Brunette River? Any good catches?

Bantam_50

Re:Brunette River
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 10:50:51 PM »

Fishing for what and when?

spring_killer

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 10:51:43 PM »

Ya, wtf can you catch there other than the fact that i never heard of this river?

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 11:02:39 PM »

Rainbow trout, coho, chum, sockeye, chinook and steelhead, as well as cutthroat trout, carp, stickleback, red-sided shiners, prickly sculpins, and peamouth chub. There are also crayfish, lampreys and tadpoles. I'm surprised you never heard of this river.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 11:37:41 AM by Long_Cast »

Bantam_50

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 11:03:44 PM »

Ya, wtf can you catch there other than the fact that i never heard of this river?

LOL...that's good then spring_killer  :P

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 11:17:46 PM »

Rodney's old web site mentioned about Brunette River as one of his favourite fishing spots.  :o

http://mypage.direct.ca/r/rhsu/fishing.html

But we don't hear him talk about it anymore, except for the cleanup of the river. Maybe, he wants to keep it a secret.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 11:19:59 PM by Long_Cast »

Joe Fish

• Here fishy, fishy!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 11:45:53 PM »

You won't hear about it because there's probably no retention or no stocks.  Read the freshwater regs., they give the specifics - no fishing between Cariboo Road and Cariboo Dam.  Release all steelhead.  Below Cariboo Road, no idea, I never fish it.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 11:53:06 PM »

You can fish the Brunette River at Hume Park.  

Gutslinger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 11:04:36 AM »

You can't target salmon while fishing the brunette

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 11:30:40 AM »

I think there are still some opportunities to fish for rainbows, cutts, and carp. It's only minutes from Lougheed Mall to Hume Park.  FYI, Brunette River is more of stream than river. It's an ultralight tackle fishing hole.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 11:35:19 AM »

Here's some info about the river, its location and restrictions.

http://www.nwpr.bc.ca/parks%20web%20page/brunette%20hike.html

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 08:55:37 PM »

There was an article in the NewWest Local paper about the proliferation of Bass in the Brunette.  The person being interviewed was really concerned about the effect on the coho stocks as well as trout and other species.  He stated the only way to control them was to Kill them.  I would tend to agree but knowing the way our regulations are written I wouldn't urge anyone to Waste fish.  I only hope that the bucket brigade feels there is enough systems polluted with this non native species >:(
We can build it, take me to your Banker!

pinkwool

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 09:00:37 PM »

There is an article in today's Burnaby Now about smallmauth bass in Brunette river eating juvenile salmon. Targeting this specie would be very beneficial to the river  and salmon/steelhead survival.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2004, 12:10:27 PM »

Yeah, I saw the front page article about smallmouth bass in the Brunette River in my Burnaby Now newspaper just yesterday - right before I went to work.  I only had a change to look at the front page headlines and photo briefly as someone in my family threw away the entire newspaper when I got back home. I am not surprised that smallmouths were found in the Brunette River as bass (no specific species) were documented in Burnaby Lake. Note: The Brunette River flows out from the eastern end of Burnaby Lake. It is, without a question, that the smallmouths originated from Burnaby Lake from someone dumping it. It's definately not new news.

A 2002 environmental assessment and Burnaby Lake Fish assessment report mentions about bass in Burnaby Lake.

http://www.city.burnaby.bc.ca/cityhall/departments/engnrn_whtshp_brnbyl_envassfish_4.html

Smallmouths were also documented in Trout Lake at John Hendry Park, which doesn't sound too bad as piranahs were also found in the lake.  :o

« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 01:01:32 PM by Long_Cast »

pinkwool

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2004, 02:00:10 PM »

Actually it was in the News Leader newspaper. What they are asking us to target these bass and help our native species to survive. A very simple rig of sliding egg sinker, sviwel and the worm hook (the one with barbs on the shank to better hold the worm in place) is very effective for bass in these kind of waters.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 02:02:26 PM by DragonSpeed »