Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the best line setup on a center pin?  (Read 21554 times)

wonder

Re: What's the best line setup on a center pin?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 05:04:56 AM »

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 06:28:20 PM »

12 is way too light. You'll either end up breaking off and losing everything or spend way too much time fight a fish and stressing it out. 20 pound Chameleon is perfect for springs. If you want a challenge just stick with a lighter leader.

I don't target springs or chum, They are just by catch some times when fishing for coho in the fall, So that's why I only use 12lb mono as my main line and 8-10lb leader.  And If I know I'm not going to land a fish, I can just break it off, Since I'm not going to fight a 30lb spring on my center pin rod rated 6-12lb.   It's personal preference.   I'm not worried about loosing gear, I find enough floats on the vedder during the fall salmon season in downed tree's to last the entire season.   terminal tackle is cheap, And barbless hooks are used for a reason.

TyeeMatt

• Rainier Valley Anglers
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »

I use 75 yards of dacron as backing and then fill the rest of the spool with about 150 yds of Sufix Siege, which after a period of trying other lines proved to be the best casting line I could find. I use the 12 lb test smoke green for steelhead, but they do make a 20lb test for which would work for bigger salmon. I spool a 3.75" Kingpin Regency I have with Sufix Elite for trout and even pinks which I pair with a 7-weight fly rod I built into a float rod. I have never reached the backing on my centerpin and the dacron helps to avoid getting the line on top of it from getting settled into itself, making casting difficult. DO NOT USE BRAID. If braid gets tangled at the tip-top and you don't notice it before you cast, it can take the tip right off your rod. I also would not advise putting any line rated above your rod's capacity on any rod, centerpin or otherwise. You're asking for a snapped rod that way. As far as tiring out a fish that you plan on keeping there is no harm in that...but if you're planning on catching and releasing the fish then you should be able to get a larger fish muscled in quickly. You have to consider that float rods are long not just for proper drift/line taming considerations, but also so that they can provide some buffer and shock absorption properties not found in other styles of rods. This is especially true with centerpin rods and why you see them in lengths upwards of 15'. You should have no problem getting a 20lb king to the bank with 12lb rated line if you play the fish properly and let your rod absorb head shakes and don't clamp down on the spool when the fish wants to run a bit. Think about how you're holding the rod and make sure that it is positioned so that you're getting maximum shock absorption (tip up...never hold a float rod on a flat lateral line parallel to the ground). Oh and use your arm as an additional shock-absorbing extension of your rod and you should be fine.

norton

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 10:03:22 PM »

I use 12 lb ultra green . And have for many years . I've landed 20 lb steelhead. If you get a nick , or your line is frayed., doesn't matter what lb test it is , it's gonna fail. You have to feel your line to see if it's damaged if you get snagged , or after you land a fish. Never had a fish break the mainline. I've had some break the leader though.