Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms G3 Waders  (Read 22936 times)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Simms G3 Waders
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »

Im not a feather slinger all year long. just because you toss feathers doesn't mean you don't hike miles to get into prime spots and away from crowds. Infact when I went through waders a lot I used to hike ridiculous amounts to explore and yes I did puncture one set on a stick but the rest always leaked in or near the feet, one blew a seam along the knee and a pair starting un-threading along the boot/wader stitching

I bet I probably just got several lemons in a row but their customer service turned me off when they were replacing my dads waders without hesitation while instead giving me a shotty repair job.

Bare did the worst repair ever. first trip out with them, my gf wearing them and the entire seam from the book to the knee blew out while she was walking through some waist deep water. You all can guess how pissed she was !!

Explain to me how you put your waders on and take them off.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 07:00:29 PM »

one foot at a time  :P

I haven't had issues since going to high end boots and putting my waders on/off at home, when camping its done in the trailer or at the picnic table. I very seldom take them off before heading home with the exception of summer and lake day trips to the interior

I think my problem with the feet may have been the cheap boots and my wide feet. Seams on the other hand cant be blamed on me. I went to Cabelas waders a few years ago and while I don't get 5+ yrs from a pair im still getting a lot more then I did from any other brand.

I would consider going back to Simms however my dad and couple friends still have issues with theirs leaking around the 1yr mark give or take.

what could you possibly do putting them on to cause them early leakage anyhow ?  ??? ???
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »

Well if you hold the wader in the knee area and just shove your foot into the bootie you would be stressing the seam between the wader and the neoprene bootie too much thus causing a leak. Same with taking them off if you are the type of person who steps on the toe of one foot and just pulls your foot out you can cause a leak on the same seam.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 07:12:44 PM »

Well how did you manage that?

Pm'd a guy on speypages classifieds and he wanted to get rid of them. Paid about $425 with the shipping. A great deal on G4's.
always a student

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »

With the new Simms waders coming out in January now is the time to check shops for deals on current stock. I know a shop selling the current G4's for a bit over $400...

Hoop71

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 08:53:40 PM »

With the new Simms waders coming out in January now is the time to check shops for deals on current stock. I know a shop selling the current G4's for a bit over $400...

Care to share or are you keeping them for yourself?  ;)

waepek

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 08:32:44 PM »

Please do share. Looking for large size 9-11.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »

There is always room for improvement with everything. With Simms I think the only way they could really improve any of their waders is in the breathability department. They have different models with different prices and they all fit very well to reduce wear due to rubbing. Like what was mentioned in that wader review the G4's are bomb proof and the G3's are the best ones. The only reason the G3's won was because they got more points for their lower price (compared to the G4's) and that because they're not 5 layer all the way to the waist, they're a bit more flexable and breathable.

Yep. 

Running G3s probably cost more than G4 in the long run because you have to replace them more often.  The crotch seam is the weak point on the G3.  The G4s eliminate this weak point.

spoiler

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »

as far as I'm concerned Simms waders are grossly overpriced and like all waders eventually leak.
For the price of their top model I can buy 6 pairs of cheap waders that I know will outlast their best wader.
They may replace or repair through their warranty but I've heard of guys waiting months to get them back.
I just grab another cheap pair and keep on fishing.
I think guys buy them to look like "the man" while out fishing. "Look at me I paid $500.00 for these waders"
They go with my Sage rod and Islander reel! Now I just have to figure out how to catch fish.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 01:12:12 PM »

as far as I'm concerned Simms waders are grossly overpriced and like all waders eventually leak.
For the price of their top model I can buy 6 pairs of cheap waders that I know will outlast their best wader.
They may replace or repair through their warranty but I've heard of guys waiting months to get them back.
I think guys buy them to look like "the man" while out fishing. "Look at me I paid $500.00 for these waders"
They go with my Sage rod and Islander reel! Now I just have to figure out how to catch fish.
I went that route for many years and spent many winter steelhead days with wet feet. Since I bought my G3's (and a good jacket) 4 years ago I have been dry and comfortable.
It's worth it to me - and I really don't care what I look like (I wear the ugliest green jacket because it was $100 cheaper).

Drewhill

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 02:24:59 PM »

I have G3s, a sage rod and an Islander reel and I catch fish ... Who would have thought  ::)

Hoop71

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »

I'm still waiting for "Johnny Canuck" to fill us in on where G4's are available for just over $400!!

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 03:31:43 PM »

You are right.  All waders eventually leak.  The cheap ones tend to leak much more quickly.  Some even after a few days out.  Its up to you want you want to pay for your waders.  Its not just about reliability.  How breathable are your waders?  Do you want that cold clammy feeling all over your feet and legs?  What kind of features do your waders have?  The high end ones have lots of pockets for you to put your keys, wallet, license etc..  Also some have fleece lined pockets for your hands to keep warm while you're waiting for first light.  What are the range in sizes to choose from? Just Small, medium, large, xl?  What is their warranty policy like?  How comfortable are they?  Some people want all these features and are willing to pay for it. 

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »

I'm still waiting for "Johnny Canuck" to fill us in on where G4's are available for just over $400!!

Have you tried calling any shops and asking for their price on the G4's?

spoiler

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 03:50:21 PM »

Here's what I know.
my son and his buddies worked for the salmon commission on the Chilliwack / Vedder for a number of years doing dead pitch on Chinook & Chum and tributary roving for Coho.. They spent every day walking the river from one end to the other pounding through the bush, climbing over log jams etc. They were probably the best torture test for breathable waders and boots. DFO paid for their gear so they could get expensive or cheap and at the end of the day all of the waders leaked and the boots blew out and they claimed that there really wasn't a significant difference between brands other than price.
What they would put their equipment through in one season is more that most fishermen would do in 10.
 My son bought Simms Freestones last year and now they are leaking and he is using one my cheapy pairs of White Rivers or whatever they are called that I bought off Ebay for $50.00 and he is dry and comfortable.