- 34 (39.5%)
Size 1/O
- 14 (16.3%)
Size 2/O
- 2 (2.3%)
Size 3/O
- 1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Hook sizes for steelhead - float fishing  (Read 22706 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Hook sizes for steelhead - float fishing
« on: January 05, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »

I got into a discussion with some one who was really opinionated . He said anything bigger than a 2 was just flossing and snagging tackle and for a fish in the 10 to 15 pound range a #4 was fine. While I think that part is true as far as it goes hook size needs to be matched to the size of the bait or presentation. For example with a bigger bait - like a prawn I want a bigger hook so the fish grabs hooks anytime it takes the bait .

What size do you prefer or use most of the time? Why do you vary it?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:53:59 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: Hook sizes for steelhead - float fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 12:20:08 PM »

hook size needs to be matched to the size of the bait or presentation

Exactly what you said, it depends on the bait,lure,etc.

Generally, if I am using something small like a tiny tuff of wool and a Jensen egg or two i will use a size 4. If I'm using bait such as roe or prawn I will use a size 1.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 12:29:07 PM »

. He said anything bigger than a 2 was just flossing and snagging tackle and for a fish in the 10 to 15 pound range a #4 was fine.

I have seen a lot of flossers or snaggers using #4 hooks too. It is all about your intention.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »

Exactly what you said, it depends on the bait,lure,etc.

Generally, if I am using something small like a tiny tuff of wool and a Jensen egg or two i will use a size 4. If I'm using bait such as roe or prawn I will use a size 1.

x2

I never go bigger than size 1 for steelhead, but it doesn't mean you can't....totally depends on what you're using for presentation ie...6 inch rubber worms or size 4 blades or even a 21/25 ct prawn.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 12:39:37 PM »

What about water conditions and type of water being fished? In rivers like the chilliwack when it's blown and as clear as the fraser I'll use a 2/0. Usually blown out water conditions mean big and fast water and there's more "bite" with that hook compared to a smaller one and the fish won't necessarily see it. My go to hook though is a #1 in most conditions, and a #2 in low clear conditions. Crossing area is a #1 or #2 type of water, while tamahi is a 1/0 type of water (all these are in ideal water levels and visibility)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:42:12 PM by Johnny Canuck »
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »

What about water conditions and type of water being fished? In rivers like the chilliwack when it's blown and as clear as the fraser I'll use a 2/0. Usually blown out water conditions mean big and fast water and there's more "bite" with that hook compared to a smaller one and the fish won't necessarily see it. My go to hook though is a #1 in most conditions, and a #2 in low clear conditions. Crossing area is a #1 or #2 type of water, while tamahi is a 1/0 type of water (all these are in ideal water levels and visibility)

X2

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 02:20:06 PM »

Size 2 for steelhead most of the time. Size 1 sometimes. Depends on the water conditions.Have landed many large steelhead on size 2 hooks.Make sure its a quality hook that doesnt straighten out on the bigger fish.I feel a smaller hook does less damage to fish you intend to release.Would never ever go bigger then a size 1,simply no need for a larger hook then a size 1 for steelhead on our local rivers.If the river is blown,fish cant see your offering anyways so using a bigger hook makes no sense.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:24:35 PM by Dennis.t »

fyrfytr77

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »

defintely depends on what your fishing for and water conditions......

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 07:55:25 PM »

I use #1 and #2 black or red depending what my lure is.
If I'm fishing bugs I use a 1/0 because the way I rig the bug Works better with a larger gap.
In really low water / sunny days I might use a #4 but I try not to for steel unless it's really low.

nosey

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 06:55:21 AM »

If I'm using big bait(raw shrimp, bugs) I'll use up to a 2/0, my leader is always under a foot, if someone came along and called me a flosser I'm thinking he best not be standing between me and the water. ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 09:09:10 AM »

If I'm using big bait(raw shrimp, bugs) I'll use up to a 2/0, my leader is always under a foot, if someone came along and called me a flosser I'm thinking he best not be standing between me and the water. ;)

Interesting - the person in question was a tackle store clerk. I had asked for 2/0s and when he told me I should not use anything bigger than a#2 I told him I wanted bigger hooks for prawn tails. He then made some remarks about flossing and snagging as in unless I was fishing chinooks anything big was flossing and snagging tackle. The stupid thing is I didn't ask to speak to the store manager and tell the manager the guy had a) not provided me what I'd asked for and b) insulted me. I just wanted to get out of there.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:39:56 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 10:01:59 AM »

The size of hook just makes it easier to snag fish . On the vedder usually #1 but sometimes 1/0 ans down to a #2 smaller bait smaller hook big bait big hook . Also if the bite is light it will be easier to set the finer wire hook like a #2 or #4 ..... food for thought

scheng53

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 06:57:56 PM »

considering the numbers of steelies in river, I wonder how one can intensionally trying to snag fish

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 07:10:42 PM »

considering the numbers of steelies in river, I wonder how one can intensionally trying to snag fish

See one sitting in a tail out or pocket water or even sit at a pocket all day every day flossing it.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »

1 and 2,s

Mostly only use 1,s for worms 4 inch or bigger.