Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "daylight hours only" means!!  (Read 22659 times)

mko72

Re: "daylight hours only" means!!
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2012, 01:19:30 PM »

I politely inform him that it is a nice sea run cutthroat of about 2 pounds and pointed out the features that identify it as such.  After releasing the fish I return to my spot and the guy on the other side of me says, in a voice loud enough for the noob to hear, that he hates guys like that who fish but who cannot identify a fish.  I shrugged it off and relied, "Hey, at least he asked." 

As someone who is still pretty new to the game, I find it very satisfying that after a bunch of research, to go out and catch a fish, look at it and say "that is definitely a coho" or a pink, rainbow, cutthroat etc. (I also keep that color printed Regs book with me as a cheat sheet just in case).

That being said, I would really like to fish with more experienced anglers who can impart their wisdom.  The first time a guy pointed at a fish from a couple hundred feet away and said "That's a steelhead" I was amazed at how quickly he could ID the fish.   Then he told me what to look for and now I can ID a steelhead from super far away.  I figure, at least asking is a lot better than the schmucks who violate the bait ban and kill steelhead.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »

As someone who is still pretty new to the game, I find it very satisfying that after a bunch of research, to go out and catch a fish, look at it and say "that is definitely a coho" or a pink, rainbow, cutthroat etc. (I also keep that color printed Regs book with me as a cheat sheet just in case).

That being said, I would really like to fish with more experienced anglers who can impart their wisdom.  The first time a guy pointed at a fish from a couple hundred feet away and said "That's a steelhead" I was amazed at how quickly he could ID the fish.   Then he told me what to look for and now I can ID a steelhead from super far away.  I figure, at least asking is a lot better than the schmucks who violate the bait ban and kill steelhead.

Yup. Anyone who is bothered at all by helping someone who just doesnt know is elitist, thinking because they have knowledge, they feel superior to those who dont. I HATE that a lot of people dont know some crucial information to IDing a fish, or regulations, but you bet your my friend Im not gonna give them crap about it. Help to educate, or keep your mouth closed. Thats my opinion. I will always jump for anyone on the river that has a question, or I will sit there for 5 minutes researching to find the answer. Educating people (and myself!) helps the fish, and the fishery a lot more than scoffing at someones ignorance and putting them off asking for help when its needed.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »

IT IS UNLAWFUL TO....

Use a light in any manner to attract fish,
unless the light is submerged and attached
to the fishing line within 1 m of the hook.

plain and simple,

flourescents? I would think that unless the material is used in/on the lure/fly it would be useless anyway.

finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2012, 10:42:15 PM »

I dont think the guy had so much of a problem with the glow stick, he did not like the fact that he was fishing before the sunrise rule. Where can you find the sunrise rule? Is it still and hour before sunrise that you are allowed to fish?
The Bigger The Better!

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2012, 11:01:39 AM »

I pretty sure the 1 hour before and after sunrise/set rule is still in place.

Have to admit, scrolled through the online version of the regs and I am unable to find it, I know recently ( couple of weeks ago) while discussing some proposed changes with friends that I did read it on the regulation booklet.

Just as a check I'm going to look at the tidal reg .... just in case ... as often folks have confused the two, or it seems so.

can anybody point out the page number??

My view on dusk /dark fishing FWIW.

I see would see no harm and do so in other jurisdictions (Scottish seatrout) but here I think the issues with undermanned/overworking of our CO's It does make it easier to police and therefore cheaper, or should say, should allow allocation of funding to other areas.

Where I've seen conflict is when anglers of differing styles wait at a pool/run for enough light to start their day. Some cry foul when the other start fishing because there is enough light to allow fishing with their particular gear. Say a dry fly guy is first to the run but a gear guy arrives afterwords, The dryfly guy would probably want more light to start fishing than the gear guy, who steps in first?

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2012, 11:56:51 AM »

The legal hours for fishing rule can be found on the fisheries and oceans section of the regulations as they pertain to salmon:

http://www.nfl.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/e0005634

And for further clarification those who are really fussy about it can find the page reference to BC waters if they dig in a little deeper.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:00:04 PM by dennyman »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2012, 12:51:43 PM »

http://www.nfl.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/e0005634

That link is for regulations in Newfoundland and Labrador Region.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »

yep that is true, but I don't have time to dig through for the B.C. section. It is probably in there buried in the fine print.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »

From: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm    the supplement

Chilliwack/Vedder River (including Sumas River)

upstream from a line between two triangular boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River 100 m downstream of the confluence of the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek

All

Apr 01-Mar 31

No fishing for salmon.

From a line between two triangular boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River 100 metres from the confluence of the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek downstream including that portion of the Sumas River from the Barrow Town Pump Station downstream to boundary signs near the confluence with the Fraser River

All

Sep 01-Dec 31

Daylight hours only.

Coho

Jul 01-Mar 31

4 hatchery fish per day.

Chinook

Jul 01-Dec 31

4 per day, only 1 over 62cm.

Chum

July 1 - Dec 31

1 per day

Pink

Jul 1 - Dec 31

2 per day.

to add:

DAYLIGHT HOURS - one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. Sunrise and sunset means the times for those events as calculated by the National Research Council of Canada. These times are published daily in Vancouver’s major daily newspapers.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/gloss/index-eng.htm
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:54:32 PM by Sandy »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »

Thanks Sandy, I spent a long time trying to find the definition of daylight hours but failed to do so, and I am already quite familiar with the sitemap of DFO's website. IMO that definition should also be included either at the beginning or the end of the river-specific regulation table, so will make that recommendation in the near future.

Fillibert

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2012, 01:35:27 AM »

IF the water is clear I bet you could SEE a fish come up to your lure and bite if it's illuminated. Just speculating. Plus isn't the night fishing hours rule put in place so that people don't fall and get hurt in the dark? So really you are trying to find a loophole in a law designed to protect you. Unlike rules like barbless hooks and retention limits a few minutes here and there will not affect the fish so that guy was just being difficult.

farky

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2012, 05:06:58 AM »

I think the rule is set in place to allow the fish more of a chance to migrate to their spawning grounds, as they are more likely to move at night to avoid their natural predators.They can try to help people from not hurting themselves, but when people are there an hour or more before sunrise, I would think their personal safety would be up to themselves.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2012, 07:52:48 AM »

I think it was put in place for people that fish before midnight and after midnight so they can retain 4 fish ( sockeye season ).

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2012, 09:16:36 AM »

I think the rule is set in place to allow the fish more of a chance to migrate to their spawning grounds, as they are more likely to move at night to avoid their natural predators.They can try to help people from not hurting themselves, but when people are there an hour or more before sunrise, I would think their personal safety would be up to themselves.

I agree with allowing the fish to move on and settle in pools upstream it's nothing to do with public safety.

as for the Socks, what difference does it make if the possession limit is still the same, assuming limits are caught.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »

Thanks Sandy, I spent a long time trying to find the definition of daylight hours but failed to do so, and I am already quite familiar with the sitemap of DFO's website. IMO that definition should also be included either at the beginning or the end of the river-specific regulation table, so will make that recommendation in the near future.

I agree

It seems that it's especially daunting for newbies, visitors etc. to ensure they are finding the information they need to know. It must be kept simple and concise It is a bit differant for those of us whom have learned through osmosis and reading or in discussion.