Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "daylight hours only" means!!  (Read 22536 times)

yakideath12

Re: "daylight hours only" means!!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 11:23:15 PM »

hm...so...

glow in dark lure illegal?

chumming in ocean for salmon illegal?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 11:58:55 PM »

I'll bring it up when the C.O. and I have a conversation at the BC Rivers day celebration on September 30th.

Personally I think it's pretty pointless to try fishing for them in the dark, but I do enjoy arriving at the river bank at least 10, 20 minutes before I can see my hands. ;D The anticipation in the darkness while hearing the splashes in front of you in every October is worth losing some sleep for. :D

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 12:05:30 AM »

My understanding is that glow stick cannot be used as a light source to attract fish, but attaching it to a float so you can see the bites is legal. I was curious so looked it up again, the federal and provincial regulations on this seem to be slightly different, but both are pretty strange.

Federal:

Provincial:

What would be the purpose of using a light that is submerged and within 1m from the hook beside attracting fish?

If the light needs to be submerged, then the glow stick sitting above the water on the float must be illegal? Or since it does not serve as an attractant, it is legal? I'll need to see what my contacts have to say regarding this issue. :)

From the way its written.

It is illegal to use a light to attract fish. <--- period. As in, you cant use a flashlight to get them to move to you, or something like that. It is legal to use a light to attract fish, if it is under the waters surface, and within 1 meters of the hook, on the fishing line. So, you can use the light, attached to your line (not the float, but I dont know how you guys would rig this up) within 3 feet of the hook, as long as its underwater. If it is at the top of your float, out of the water, its illegal. Doesnt matter if its 2 meters from the hook, or 20, if its out of the water, that would be illegal.

"What would be the purpose of using a light that is submerged and within 1m from the hook beside attracting fish?"

As stated, its legal to attract fish in that manner.

"If the light needs to be submerged, then the glow stick sitting above the water on the float must be illegal? Or since it does not serve as an attractant, it is legal?"

Whether its intended or not, it would attract fish, and out of the water, so illegal. I can rip my fly through a school of sockeye on the adams, and claim im stripping, not trying to snag them, but im still gonna snag them. Intentions wouldnt matter.

This is just what I get from what the regs say, I very well could be wrong though.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:13:42 AM by DanJohn »
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 12:07:13 AM »

What nobody here uses nightvision goggles  ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »

From the way its written.

It is illegal to use a light to attract fish. <--- period. As in, you cant use a flashlight to get them to move to you, or something like that. It is legal to use a light to attract fish, if it is under the waters surface, and within 1 meters of the hook, on the fishing line. So, you can use the light, attached to your line (not the float, but I dont know how you guys would rig this up) within 3 feet of the hook, as long as its underwater. If it is at the top of your float, out of the water, its illegal.

"What would be the purpose of using a light that is submerged and within 1m from the hook beside attracting fish?"

As stated, its legal to attract fish in that manner.

"If the light needs to be submerged, then the glow stick sitting above the water on the float must be illegal? Or since it does not serve as an attractant, it is legal?"

Whether its intended or not, it would attract fish, and out of the water, so illegal. I can rip my fly through a school of sockeye on the adams, and claim im stripping, not trying to snag them, but im still gonna snag them. Intentions wouldnt matter.

This is just what I get from what the regs say, I very well could be wrong though.

The regulation is not well written and needs to be revised in my opinion, so will definitely bring that up. On one hand it states definitely that attracting fish with a light is illegal, yet a light can be used within one meter from the hook, but what would that purpose be other than attracting fish? The purpose of having a light on the float is not to attract fish, but the glow stick acts as part of the float in the dark. When the fish bites, the float goes down, light disappears. It's not used to attract fish, yet it's not submerged and sometimes more than 1 meter away from the hook, so it's difficult to determine whether this is legal or not.

Attaching a glow stick to the fishing line is pretty easy. We used to do it regularly when night fishing in Australia and Asia. Glow sticks come with tubes that can be threaded onto the line. The glow stick is inserted into the tube on the line.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 12:26:10 AM »

The regulation is not well written and needs to be revised in my opinion, so will definitely bring that up. On one hand it states definitely that attracting fish with a light is illegal, yet a light can be used within one meter from the hook, but what would that purpose be other than attracting fish? The purpose of having a light on the float is not to attract fish, but the glow stick acts as part of the float in the dark. When the fish bites, the float goes down, light disappears. It's not used to attract fish, yet it's not submerged and sometimes more than 1 meter away from the hook, so it's difficult to determine whether this is legal or not.

Attaching a glow stick to the fishing line is pretty easy. We used to do it regularly when night fishing in Australia and Asia. Glow sticks come with tubes that can be threaded onto the line. The glow stick is inserted into the tube on the line.

I dont think it is poorly written, but i can see how it isnt crystal clear. As we agree, it is illegal to attract fish with a light. EXCEPT, when the light is underwater and within the 1m distance of the hook. Under those guidelines, the light is there to attract fish, and it is legal. Outside of those rules, it is illegal. Now I understand your questioning of the light on the float system, and it not being used to attract fish. But I do think that in the middle of a dark river, any kind of light on the float will attract fish, even if that isnt its purpose of the user. Thus, it would be illegal. I understand what your saying though, and do think you should clarify with someone, as the wording could be a little more cut and dry. "You can do this, you cannot do this and this."

When you used glow sticks on floats in Asia and Aussie land, did they have regs about lights attracting fish? Or did their regs state a float light is allowed?

Oh and my reasoning here is, if at dusk, a fish can come up out of a pool because a shadow of a dry fly peaked its interest, i would think a shining beacon in the middle of the night would get its attention somewhat. Unless you guys are talking teeny LEDs on the top of a float or something, but a glow stick, I would think, would give off a ton more light and be pretty easy for a fish to see, even if its just a little patch of water that is ever so slightly less dark then the rest of the river.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:30:48 AM by DanJohn »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 12:35:26 AM »

I just re-read those lines and you're right Dan. Good thing I have an excuse, English is my second language! ;D

When you used glow sticks on floats in Asia and Aussie land, did they have regs about lights attracting fish? Or did their regs state a float light is allowed?

No regulations in Asia for fishing, at least not when I grew up there. Regulations in Australia were/are simple, a couple of pages covered everything and you can use lights however you wanted to.

BTW, the glow sticks that I am talking about are not those huge ones people hold in their hand while walking. Their size is perhaps 1 inch long and diameter is no larger than 0.5cm.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 12:40:16 AM »

I just re-read those lines and you're right Dan. Good thing I have an excuse, English is my second language! ;D

No regulations in Asia for fishing, at least not when I grew up there. Regulations in Australia were/are simple, a couple of pages covered everything and you can use lights however you wanted to.

BTW, the glow sticks that I am talking about are not those huge ones people hold in their hand while walking. Their size is perhaps 1 inch long and diameter is no larger than 0.5cm.

Haha, ok.

Crazy asia! Thats cool about Australia. I wish they did that here. I have 3 reg books, one in each car, one that stays in my backpack with my fly boxes and leaders, and one in PDF form on my phone. I have read those regs, and I still have to look stuff up. There is a lot to know.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2012, 09:30:27 AM »

I would think the wording is meant to restrict the use of light to terminal tackle like glow-in-dark paint/tape and actively lit lures etc. The regulation seems clear enough, but the odd wording makes it hard to interpret the intent of that particular rule.

The purpose of glowstick floats are obviously not meant to attract fish (IMHO), but they clearly do not comply with the restrictions, so they should not be permitted, though I wouldnt take exception if someone were to pull one out.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 09:38:59 AM »

this is for EVERYONE reading and/or posting in this thread. If you have an iphone then you can get a set of the freshwater regulations and have it on your phone at all times. I had this app when i had an iphone and it paid off more than a few times. Now im using an android and last time i checked they hadnt made an app which really sucks, good thing for me i know the reg book pretty good. Its a dark day for me if i think im unsure of the regulations for a particular place im fishing especially if someone asks me, i pride myself on knowing as much info as i can attain so that im able to share with my fellow anglers (or to keep them in check)

for what its worth i will fish the 1hr before "actual" sunrise as stated in the newspaper or weather channel but ONLY if i can see my float on the water. I fish with white floats for a reason people  ;)
If im flyfishing i could start at the time allowed because its all about feel with a fly anyhow but seriously, would you wanna hook yourself in the dark !!

HOOK - will be going back to an iphone in a few months because i really miss having that app !!!

EDIT - did a quick search and android still doesnt have the app  >:(

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:44:22 AM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 09:42:49 AM »

this is for EVERYONE reading and/or posting in this thread. If you have an iphone then you can get a set of the freshwater regulations and have it on your phone at all times. I had this app when i had an iphone and it paid off more than a few times. Now im using an android and last time i checked they hadnt made an app which really sucks, good thing for me i know the reg book pretty good. Its a dark day for me if i think im unsure of the regulations for a particular place im fishing especially if someone asks me, i pride myself on knowing as much info as i can attain so that im able to share with my fellow anglers (or to keep them in check)

HOOK - will be going back to an iphone in a few months because i really miss having that app !!!

Just download the PDF file and it can be viewed offline...
GENERAL REGS
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1113/fishing-synopsis_2011-13_provincial.pdf
REGION 2 REGS
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1113/fishing-synopsis_2011-13_region2.pdf

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »

yes the PDF files work but they are a bit of a pain in the my friend to navigate on a phone because they come up as tiny text so you have to zoom it in and then screw around finding what your looking for

best thing to do is have your regs memorized at all times and always check for in season changes !!

I remember last year(or maybe the year before) my buddy and i hit the Vedder and if i hadnt checked the in season regs change we would have bonked these gorgeous super chrome chum we caught, we were there the day after chum closed. I wouldnt be at all shocked if this happened again this year

he argued with me that the first one he caught was a coho for sure, i said "no way, thats a chum" even as i had him release it he was still asking me how i could tell (he had never seen a super clean chum before). I told him if we land another one like that i would show him how to tell. sure enough his next fish was another super clean chum doe, i tailed this fish and held it in the water as i showed him the various ways to tell. I even took a couple pics for reference. he hooked a fish next cast, i yelled Coho !! when he landed it i took out the camera and showed him the differences, having the pics made it ALOT easier. He thanked me for helping him out cause he had no idea how to tell because he barely fishes salmon. This was his first coho ever and that day he went home with 3 and me 2 but the amount of chrome chum was crazy that day. I even broke my rod trying to tail a huge chrome buck  >:(

so aside from knowing your regs, please know how to identify your fish people or at least have someone in your fishing group that can. I hate having to be the guy that yells down the bar at people telling them what the landed when i can clearly hear them trying to ask someone close by  ::)
I can usually tell what i (or someone else) have on the line before i (they) even land it, this is where i would like to see more fishermans Fish ID level be so we can avoid the mishandling of fish we see every fall (or anytime of the year)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2012, 10:12:47 AM »

yes the PDF files work but they are a bit of a pain in the *** to navigate on a phone because they come up as tiny text so you have to zoom it in and then screw around finding what your looking for

Rotate your phone 90 degrees to view in landscape.

Also there is a simple search option.  With the pdf file open press the magnifying glass and type in what waterbody or keyword (eg Vedder, Capilano) you want to see and it will take you right there with out any hassle.

farky

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »

for what its worth i will fish the 1hr before "actual" sunrise as stated in the newspaper or weather channel but ONLY if i can see my float on the water.

X2
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:05:50 PM by farky »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 01:02:27 PM »

so aside from knowing your regs, please know how to identify your fish people or at least have someone in your fishing group that can. I hate having to be the guy that yells down the bar at people telling them what the landed when i can clearly hear them trying to ask someone close by  ::)
I can usually tell what i (or someone else) have on the line before i (they) even land it, this is where i would like to see more fishermans Fish ID level be so we can avoid the mishandling of fish we see every fall (or anytime of the year)

Yes, I can relate.  I was fishing the beach a few weeks back between two other guys, all of us strangers.  One guys hooks a nice fish and after fighting it calls to me to ask if I can identify it.  As I approach he says he cannot tell what it is, then asks, "Is it a pink?" 

I politely inform him that it is a nice sea run cutthroat of about 2 pounds and pointed out the features that identify it as such.  After releasing the fish I return to my spot and the guy on the other side of me says, in a voice loud enough for the noob to hear, that he hates guys like that who fish but who cannot identify a fish.  I shrugged it off and replied, "Hey, at least he asked."  While I wish that every fisherman could id the fish they catch, as long as they are not killing any, I figure it doesn't matter.  It is when they are fishing for salmon that they intend to kill, be they chinook, coho, chum, whatever.  If you are fishing a meat fishery, then you had damn well better be able to id the fish yourself, because if John Smith comes over and says "hell yeah, kill that wild chum," and it turns out to be a wild coho, you cannot argue to the CO waiting by your car that it wasn't your fault that someone else told you it was ok to bonk.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 03:28:53 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost