Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "daylight hours only" means!!  (Read 22539 times)

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
Re: "daylight hours only" means!!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »

I'm with blaydRnr or this one.

either way it would be kind of hard to spey with a glow stick zap strapped to my skagit head... ::)
A swung fly is the best fly.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »

i respect your rule of thumb. but im not interested.

Then why on Earth would you post this story in a discussion forum?  A simple quote of the regulation would have sufficed to informed the masses of the rule.
Not all those who wander are lost

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 08:21:43 PM »

People make mistakes. That's the nature of things.
If you are confident you are correct there is always a civilized way of communication.

Last year some dude, who looked like he knew what he was talking about, screwed up my buddy's day by telling us that we had to stop fishing after we caught our limit of salmon.
He said we have to stop fishing altogether that we couldn't do C&R either.
I didn't limit out so I could fish, but my friend had doubts so he stopped fishing (and it was early in the morning).
I was 99 % sure, this guy is telling us this so we leave. But that 1% of doubt won.
The guy put a big doubt in both of our minds.

Of course when I came home I checked the regs and realized that the dude should have been sent swimming.

Know your regs.

you did the right thing...the guy obviously got his info crossed (maybe with the steelhead regs) or maybe he just wanted to take your spot, but you used better sense and it motivated you to recheck your regs...it happens.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 08:25:48 PM »

Then why on Earth would you post this story in a discussion forum?  A simple quote of the regulation would have sufficed to informed the masses of the rule.

my thought as well...a simple quote to the gentleman would have been suffice...obviously, glycine was ill equipped to deal with the situation at the time so he needed to vent out his frustration on the web.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 08:38:47 PM »

Sometimes the regs don't make much sense ,one hour before sunrise it is pitch dark out and you can't see your float so why bother,it's just like hunting the same rule applies but there is no way I'm pulling the trigger on something one hour before sunrise in the pitch dark.makes no sense,but dems da rules..
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 09:33:54 PM »

by the way if glow sticks are used on the float as i've seen people do from time to time...it is illegal....once again just pointing something out for those who may not know.

My understanding is that glow stick cannot be used as a light source to attract fish, but attaching it to a float so you can see the bites is legal. I was curious so looked it up again, the federal and provincial regulations on this seem to be slightly different, but both are pretty strange.

Federal:

It is illegal to use torches or artificial lights while sport fishing, except when they are submerged and attached to a fishing line, within 1 m of the fishing hook.

Provincial:

It is illegal to use a light in any manner to attract fish, unless the light is submerged and attached to the fishing line within 1 m of the hook.

What would be the purpose of using a light that is submerged and within 1m from the hook beside attracting fish?

If the light needs to be submerged, then the glow stick sitting above the water on the float must be illegal? Or since it does not serve as an attractant, it is legal? I'll need to see what my contacts have to say regarding this issue. :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:42:40 PM by Rodney »

glycine

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »

by the way if glow sticks are used on the float as i've seen people do from time to time...it is illegal....once again just pointing something out for those who may not know.

blaydRnr you made same problem as the ima guide guy and no c&r salmon guy.

see page 9 of freshwater fishing Regulations Synopsis.

"it is unlawful to use light in any manner to attract fish, unless the light is submerged and attached to the fishing line within 1m of the hook."

why should i teach you guys a to z. dont bother your fellow anglers with such blurry knowledges?
if you dont have enough knowledges, just say "i dont know".

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 09:44:56 PM »

My understanding is that glow stick cannot be used as a light source to attract fish, but attaching it to a float so you can see the bites is legal. I was curious so looked it up again, the federal and provincial regulations on this seem to be slightly different, but both are pretty strange.

Federal:

Provincial:

What would be the purpose of using a light that is submerged and within 1m from the hook beside attracting fish?

If the light needs to be submerged, then the glow stick sitting above the water on the float must be illegal? Or since it does not serve as an attractant, it is legal? I'll need to see what my contacts have to say regarding this issue. :)

Doesn't make any sense to me

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »

Doesn't make any sense to me

The regulations or me??? ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »

Federal:

Provincial:

Rod i'm glad you brought it up because when i first started fishing the vedder many many years ago a gentleman fishing the boundary hole was asked by a dfo officer to remove his glow stick from his float and was given a verbal warning. Now the question is what is the interpretation of this reg? Is it because the coloured light may inadvertently attract fish or because the light was not submerged?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:01:39 AM by blaydRnr »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »

see page 9 of freshwater fishing Regulations Synopsis.

"it is unlawful to use light in any manner to attract fish, unless the light is submerged and attached to the fishing line within 1m of the hook."

why should i teach you guys a to z. dont bother your fellow anglers with such blurry knowledges?

so i guess your light was submerged while you were fishing because if you want to talk semantics then just read what it says.

learn the difference between giving an opinion and trying to enforce a reg...seems you don't know much yourself.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 10:00:32 PM »

The regulations or me??? ;D

You have to ask ? ;D I guess having a glow stick on your float constitute attracting fish but having it a metre from your hook isn't

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »

Yes I'm guilty, I'm one of those guys that will get pissed off at you if you bottom bounce the vedder even though it's legal... I think though i'm not alone in this one....I'm also one of those guys that will approach you if you mishandle a fish...or fish illegally and just for your info, i carry a book of regulations in my vest...do you?

Don't bother your fellow anglers with blurry knowledge? This is a forum where we discuss and compare notes....a place where we debate or agree or share knowledge.. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:42:56 PM by blaydRnr »

glycine

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 10:27:55 PM »

Yes I'm guilty, I'm one of those guys that will get pissed off at you if you bottom bounce the vedder even though it's legal... I think though i'm not alone in this one....I'm also one of those guys that will approach you if you mishandle a fish...or fish illegally and just for your info, i carry a book of regulations in my vest...do you?

Don't bother your fellow anglers with blurry knowledge? 60+ posts? what have you contributed to this site thus far?

sorry. blaydRnr.
you are right. you have better contribut to this site. 
i'll be more respectful to you next time.  i promiss.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 10:35:58 PM »

sorry. blaydRnr.
you are right. you have better contribut to this site. 
i'll be more respectful to you next time.  i promiss.

if you read my post again...i changed what i wrote, because i didn't mean to sound condescending....it was not my intent.