Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sage brown blanks  (Read 22843 times)

koko

Re: Sage brown blanks
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 04:07:49 PM »

I wonder the green blank would be any lighter

Kenwee

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »

I have both brown and green Sage gear rods ( 2 brown and 7 green) All the green except one are factory rods. ONe green is made by Brian at West Coast tackle . I can ahrdly tell any difference between them. The green are excellent and so are the brown. I guess the only difference is the colour.

Thrasher

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 10:20:25 PM »

Actually the newer green blanks are a different graphite modulus.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 08:41:15 AM »

Actually the newer green blanks are a different graphite modulus.

Hi folks. I thought I had better jump in here and clarify a few things. First off, so everyone understands where I'm coming from, I have run the Sage Gear program for the past two years. Any and all changes are my responsibility. I initiated the factory rods and was responsible for the colour change. I develop all of the new models and decide which old ones stay.

For the record, the new green blanks are exactly the same as the old brown blanks. Colour change only. Now before everyone starts giving me anecdotal stories about differences in action, let me explain a few things. Some of those blanks have been around for almost 20 years. In that time, there has been changes in basic raw materials - graphite, resin, etc. Sage has always attempted to maintain the exact actions as the originals, but I'm not going to say that it's impossible, over the span of 20 years, to not find some subtle differences within specific models. I will tell you, however, that the new green blanks are manufactured exactly the same as any brown blanks manufactured in the 3 or 4 years prior to my involvement. Rest assured that each and every Sage Gear rod is still being manufactured at our plant on Bainbridge Island WA. We have developed some new models - currently CT296F, CT396F, SP196. These can all be viewed at www.sagegearrods.com I am currently working on some new designs for down the road which are very exciting - Stay tuned!

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Brian Babcock

So , who has the right statement here.   Confused  ??? ??? ???

c-pin

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »

Hi folks. I thought I had better jump in here and clarify a few things. First off, so everyone understands where I'm coming from, I have run the Sage Gear program for the past two years. Any and all changes are my responsibility. I initiated the factory rods and was responsible for the colour change. I develop all of the new models and decide which old ones stay.

For the record, the new green blanks are exactly the same as the old brown blanks. Colour change only. Now before everyone starts giving me anecdotal stories about differences in action, let me explain a few things. Some of those blanks have been around for almost 20 years. In that time, there has been changes in basic raw materials - graphite, resin, etc. Sage has always attempted to maintain the exact actions as the originals, but I'm not going to say that it's impossible, over the span of 20 years, to not find some subtle differences within specific models. I will tell you, however, that the new green blanks are manufactured exactly the same as any brown blanks manufactured in the 3 or 4 years prior to my involvement. Rest assured that each and every Sage Gear rod is still being manufactured at our plant on Bainbridge Island WA. We have developed some new models - currently CT296F, CT396F, SP196. These can all be viewed at www.sagegearrods.com I am currently working on some new designs for down the road which are very exciting - Stay tuned!

Brian Babcock

So , who has the right statement here.   Confused  ??? ??? ???

How old is this message from Brian Babcock?? I tried the link and it does not work.

Tom - I believe that Corey is right; the newer green blanks have a higher graphite modulus than the old brown blanks. Read the message from Brian Babcock again, and you will see that even he admits to a slight change in product over the years.

Having said that. I feel everyone thinks that their old brown blanks feel different than the factory rods for these reasons:

1) Brown Blank rods are custom made. Each rod will have different guides / guide spacing / handles / reel seat placement. Not to mention how it is built on the spine. Therefore, each brown blank rod will feel different to the other.

2) Green Blank factory made rods are made the same to certain specifications based on the model. If you get 2 factory CT2106, they will feel exactly the same. If you get a Brown Blank custom made 2106 and fish it next to a Green Blank 2106, unless they are made to the same exact specifications, the rods will (could) feel slightly different.

I took someones advise recently and spoke to Sage directly. Newer Brown Blanks and the newest Green Blanks are exactly the same. That's the word from Sage. Now, If you have a much older Brown Blank and compare it to one of the newer Brown Blanks, they may feel slightly different based on their age and, as Brian puts it "due to changes in basic raw materials - graphite, resin etc."

I too, went on the "Brown is better than Green" bandwagon when they first came out (the green ones). After some investigation, I now know that this is just a colour change only. However, ..... I do like the look of the Brown Blank, though.  ;)

Cheers,  John
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:13:59 PM by c-pin »
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 05:27:59 PM »

How old is this message from Brian Babcock?? I tried the link and it does not work.

Search under Sage by Brain Bobcock

I took someones advise recently and spoke to Sage directly. Newer Brown Blanks and the newest Green Blanks are exactly the same. That's the word from Sage. Now, If you have a much older Brown Blank and compare it to one of the newer Brown Blanks, they may feel slightly different based on their age and, as Brian puts it "due to changes in basic raw materials - graphite, resin etc."

Thanks for clears up any confusion.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:38:12 PM by BIG T »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 10:21:57 PM »

Considering technical advances with graphite over the last 20 years, I'm surprised that the green blanks don't offer better performance. I sure notice the difference with the top end Sage fly rods from the mid 90's over today's fly rods!  I've tried the RPL+ and SP series, and IMHO they do not measure up to the XP or Z-Axis.  Heck - I find even my "lowly" FLi to be lighter than my RPL+.  I see that fly rods are getting lighter and lighter.  So - what's up with the drift rods?  Btw - I currently have a factory Sage CT 2106 and it's an awesome coho/steelhead rod.  I don't have much experience with the brown blanks (I've casted my friend's old 3113 with the centrepin), but I do hear good reports from those that use them.

Thrasher

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »

Brian Babcock

So , who has the right statement here.   Confused  ??? ??? ???

As I have stated in NUMEROUS threads...call Sage and hear the answer from them personally.

Yes, they are manufactured the same, but if you talk to them, they will tell you that the graphite used is different.

Some like blondes, some like brunettes....in the dark, they are the same too.

People need to do their own research.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:27:11 PM by Thrasher »

Brian Babcock

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 10:03:22 PM »

You may have stated this "numerous times" but you're still wrong. Not sure who you spoke to at Sage but I was actually there when the decision to change the colour was made. Can I say this any clearer - THE NEW GREEN BLANKS ARE NOT A HIGHER MODULUS GRAPHITE!! They are identical to the most recent brown blanks in everything except colour and logo. Trust me. It was my baby. Here's how a few cross-over:

Brown GSH3113M = Green CP3113M = Green CT3113M
Brown GSH4110 = Green CT4110 = Blue SA4110
Brown GSH2106 = Green CT2106
Brown GSH3106L = Green CP3106L
Brown Glll 290 = Green CT290F  ***Note this is Glll material both brown and green***

So any of the brown "GSH" models used Gl graphite and they now come out as green (or blue for the SA's) with the CT, CP, or SA designation followed by the model number. Any of the brown Glll models (286,290,296,386,390,396) used Glll (higher modulus) graphite and they now come out as green CT(model number)(letter F).

Where someone answering the phones at Sage may be mistaken is assuming that we went to all Glll with the colour change. We did not! Any of the "new" green blanks that don't have the letter "F" attached are still using Gl graphite. To further emphasize this point, I am currently waiting for Sage to run a large order of Gear blanks and it is being delayed because Sage doesn't have enough Gl in stock. These are the only rods they use that graphite on.

I really can't say any more on this. I'm sure there will be some that refuse to believe what I'm saying even though I was Sage's Product Manager for Gear when all this occurred. It's obviously a conspiracy on my part to fool everyone into thinking that Sage is still using the same technology as they did 20 years ago! Would that make any sense???

Brian Babcock

Thrasher

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »

I appreciate the clarification. Makes sense.

Different than the answer they are saying when I talk to them, but I believe you.

Thank you for the clarification

a side question...

the original GSH3106LB had a 6-15 rating but the new green is 8-17. What is the reason behind that?

ps... Brian, can you shoot me your email addy, I want to offer you some info

corey-thrasher@hotmail.com

Thanks

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:43:49 PM by Thrasher »

Brian Babcock

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 10:47:03 PM »

No worries. The thing people need to realize is that Sage is a fly rod company first and foremost. To get the answer you're looking for, you would have to connect with one of about five people in the entire plant that would actually know. When it comes to fly rods, pretty much everyone is on the same page. That's part of the reason that they're moving away from factory Gear rods - it was just never embraced. Their focus is fly and they're the best there is at it in my opinion.

Ahhh, line ratings. This was a tricky bit of business. You are correct in noting that there was some changes made. What I decided to do with line ratings was start from scratch and give the rods what I personally felt was the correct rating. This involved casting every single model with several different lure and line weights to see what was optimum. As my department was a small cog in the big Sage machine, it was my decision and mine alone on these ratings. I did compare them to the historical ratings (which were set by the legendary Don Green) and I would be lying to you if I said I wasn't a bit influenced by these. So, being a one man band in this department, I made decisions based on my testing and Don's historical ratings and came up with what you see listed today. You'll also note that some of the identical blanks - eg: CT4110 / SA4110 - have very different ratings. This is because of their obvious completely different usage (casting vs. power mooching). Basically what I'm saying is that line ratings are very subjective and should not be taken as gospel.

Brian

hotrod

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 06:56:54 AM »

Good Morning fellas,

I have personally had the pleasure of meeting Brian. I believe you saved me and a couple of my comrades from an overturned boat on a local river that was pinned against some rocks. I have been using sage gear rods for a long time and have put them through the ringer. They are very tough rods and and in my experience are the highest quality rod money can buy. The performance is second to none.I have had them in almost every situation imaginable and still have landed fish in some of the most outrageous situations. It is my opinion that my personnel success has been due, in a large part, to the performance of these rods. I own almost all the sage gear rods. My first sage rod was a CP2106, brown blank. Since then I have acquired all the newer green blank rods. It is my opinion that the newer green rods are much better than the old brown.But that has been my experience and your may vary. But I guess the bottom line is that everyone has a different style of angling. What works for one guy may not work for the next. It was a sad, sad day for me when I found out that they will no longer be making sage gear rods. If you are passionate as I am bout being on the river, then the sage rods are the way to go. I certainly hope they come back and if they do, I'll be getting a few more rods for sure. Oh... by the way if you ever need guys to test rods... I'm your guy. I have a few ideas myself. I like the green rods and brown. I like Sage, they are all about the customer and back up their stuff like no other company.

hotrod

spoiler

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »

I just thought I would share my experience with sage and their blanks. Last year I slipped and fell on my beloved brown 3106 custom built CP rod that I have owned for over 21 years. I was smashed right at the ferrule and the top section was toast. I took to Fred's and they sent it off to Sage. Apparently they couldn't find a matching top section so they sent me back a brand new brown blank. I ended up paying $50.00 for shipping. I have been building rods for 40 years so it was no big deal to roll up the new one. I basically updated the rod with the newest guides, reel seat and cork on the market. I'm very pleased with the way the rod turned out and have christened it on a few Steelhead this season.
 I have to say i was pretty impressed with how everything was handled from Sage's end. I'm currently building a 9' 6wt Z-Axis for myself and a 14' 3" 8wt Z-Axis spey with my son.

floatfisher

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »

So Brian how is the warranty going to work now for gear rods? If we have a brown blank rod and have a break do we contact you or do we contact sage?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »

So Brian how is the warranty going to work now for gear rods? If we have a brown blank rod and have a break do we contact you or do we contact sage?

From what I have herd is that if you break your Brown blank you deal directly with Sage, if you break one of Brian's new Green ones then you deal with Brian.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day