Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sage brown blanks  (Read 22846 times)

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Sage brown blanks
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:10:45 AM »

Just wondering why are there SO MANY Sage brown blanks or rods up for sale lately ? Are they any good ? I thought it was discontinued long time ago...

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Sage brown blanks
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »

They are excellent blanks, probably among the best out there - well worth your money - as long as you find a master builder.
Even the best blank will not tolerate a crappy build.

THE guy to talk to on this forum about rod building is Dave.

I wish I could afford more Sages... :'(
But I am happy with my three. :)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »

I think also that Sage is doing a limited run of gear blanks that will be available soon. Maybe those that hold old stock want to get rid of them before the new ones come out?
I'm not sure if the new ones are brown or green blanks.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »

Just wondering why are there SO MANY Sage brown blanks or rods up for sale lately ? Are they any good ? I thought it was discontinued long time ago...

They are discontinued and the blanks you see for sale are ones that people have hoarded away. Soon you will see sage drift rods back in some stores as they have decided to build blanks for one person here in the Lowermainland. This person is one of the best rod builders out there. He will build the blanks up for the levelwind or center pin and he will also cover the warranty so if you happen to break one of his rods the turn around time will be incredible. I have herd that the turn around time will be close to a week instead of months. The only down side is that they will only produce green blanks but then acording to him there is no difference between the two.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »

Bang on Jeff.  Brian Babcock scooped a few people by securing this contract from Sage and he is about as good a rodbuilder as you will find anywhere.  It's my understanding also the blanks will be green so that could increase the price of the few original brown blanks available.

Dave, loves his brown 2106LB :)

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 04:45:30 PM »

Thanks for all the information, so should i look for brown or green color blanks. They are almost the same price ?

opwins

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:52:45 PM »

Go for the Brown ones better options and I think they feel better :-*,  the greens one that they are bringing back are the 3106L and 3113M in the CP to my understanding.....  Main thing when your getting your rod built is the guide spacing, you can alter the feel of a rod significantly according to how its built.  Talk to your rod builder and get what u want....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:18:45 PM by opwins »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »

Main thing when your getting your rod built is the guide spacing, you can alter the feel of a rod significantly according to how its built.  Talk to your rod builder and get what u want....

Can you explain a little bit more, regarding guide spacing, how many difference guides are in the market now. Which one do you prefer?             Thanks

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 12:52:32 AM »

I am also curious - how much is it typically to have a rod built? I never usually buy blanks but was thinking about it. Strange that there are so many people selling them all of a sudden...maybe a better deal is on it's way?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 01:31:26 AM »

think of it this way. you buy the blank for $300 and thats JUST the blank. If you bought a factory built rod it runs around $600 and thats production built. If you buy your blank and high end cork/guides/reel seat im sure once its all built up you will be paying between 600-700 for the finished product however having a rod built you can have it customized to whatever you want.

If you builf it yourself the cost will be alot less of course.

I was going to get a guy to redo the cork and labelling on my spey rod and he said $250-300 just to do that

HOOK - wishes he had the money for 2 more Sage brown blanks 3106Lb's to get tied for my sons when they start fishing  ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:32:58 AM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 01:33:13 AM »

think of it this way. you buy the blank for $300 and thats JUST the blank. If you bought a factory built rod it runs around $600 and thats production built. If you buy your blank and high end cork/guides/reel seat im sure once its all built up you will be paying between 600-700 for the finished product however having a rod built you can have it customized to whatever you want.

If you builf it yourself the cost will be alot less of course.

I was going to get a guy to redo the cork and labelling on my spey rod and he said $250-300 just to do that

Yikes   :-[ I think I need to feed my piggy bank a little more first

opwins

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 08:18:49 AM »

Can you explain a little bit more, regarding guide spacing, how many difference guides are in the market now. Which one do you prefer?             Thanks

Most companies have guide spacing on there websites for each rod they produce, and with the R & D going into there productions I would say they already start with great options.  Now that being said, a good builder can adjust the guide spacing to allow  lets say a Meduim blank (MB) rod feel a bit more like a light blank (LB) rod, etc.  In regards to pin rods I dont think I would ever buy a factory rod, custom is the only way to go.  You get exactly what you want, a shorter or longer butt section, cork shaped to your hand specs, top of the line titanium gudes ;D and a Reel seat that holds your reel snug and tight....Like was mentioned rod builds are expensive but worth the money IMO

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:21:48 AM by opwins »

poper

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 12:56:44 PM »

I was wondering, if you have a custum sage rod built and you break it, sage will only cover the blank, but if you have factory rod they will replace the sectoin of rod broken built already. Is this true?So if its custom built you will have to pay to have it built again.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »

I was wondering, if you have a custum sage rod built and you break it, sage will only cover the blank, but if you have factory rod they will replace the sectoin of rod broken built already. Is this true?So if its custom built you will have to pay to have it built again.

Yes, plus shipping and handling charge

mikeNW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 03:56:32 PM »

"The only down side is that they will only produce green blanks but then acording to him there is no difference between the two" Oh but there is a difference between the two.One is brown and the other one is green.Those of you that think there is something deeper than that have vivid imaginations.Nuff said.