Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your favourite type of floats for salmon and steelhead fishing ?

Foam
- 52 (37.7%)
Plastic (Drennan, Cleardrifts)
- 61 (44.2%)
Balsa
- 18 (13%)
Cork
- 5 (3.6%)
Others
- 2 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 136

Author Topic: Floats  (Read 22860 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Floats
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 09:21:10 PM »

kingpin those are the old style floats that the bottom ends used to break off.The new style ones are alot stronger and the ends do not break.

any plans to make a 10 or 15 gr float?
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

hohartmann

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »

I use cleardrifts and i love them

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »

Yes in the new year I will have the 11g float ;D

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 10:18:45 PM »

Yes in the new year I will have the 11g float ;D
Good to hear, in time for some steelheading.
if i use a clear drift for an extended period of time they almost always break at the bottom or begin to fill with water...i custom make my own balsa straight thru and dowel floats and they stand up better than anything else.
I haven't had many problems with them, had one fill with water a few weeks ago but I've had a drennen do that as well.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 11:43:08 AM »

I use DNE torpedo style foamies because I'm cheap.
I don't like the wraparound style foamies because they have a ton of give on the hookset as the foam compresses. They also tend to slice in half on a hot fish.
I have also used Drennan's and they also have condensation/leaks. and of course they break.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »

I have at least a thousand of different floats to choose from after rescuing them from the river over many years. Check that most likely closer to 1500. ;D ;D ;D

I should make a display of how many different ones I have.

Use mostly Maple Leaf Drennans and DNE but have a Cleardrift on now.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 08:25:11 PM »

gee for an advertiser on this sit I sure don't get much support >:( many of you may not even know that.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 08:36:02 PM »

gee for an advertiser on this sit I sure don't get much support >:( many of you may not even know that.

If you review all the feedbacks from this thread and others, also look at the poll result, you should see that there are in fact a lot of support from members. One cannot expect all members to "support" a product that is advertised on the site. Some will like it, others will not, that's why there is a market for different brands to compete. I would look at it this way, feedbacks that you receive, regardless positive or negative, are valuable to you. If all feedbacks are positive, then you wouldn't know what improvements to make if your sale remains the same. Negative feedbacks should also be broken down into two categories. Some are constructive criticisms, others are just from individuals who choose to be negative. Selectively absorb them and you will do well.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2010, 10:00:15 PM »

i gave them a shot when they first came out and to be honest i also experienced the leaking and condensation... even after approaching the tackle shop where i purchased them, i received no sympathy nor compensation...i noticed you acknowledged the flaws to Kingpin, so that makes me even more upset thinking about it (even though it's been about 4 years).

this isn't to say i wouldn't try them again...i'm all for supporting local businesses....i would use Cleardrift over Drennen any day.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 12:08:16 AM by blaydRnr »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2010, 11:14:47 PM »

While Cleardrifts may not be as durable, I still like them as a good alternative to Drennans.  The Drennans are just too expensive (ask FFM, he lost 3 in one morning).  Even if a bit of water does get into them, they still float ok in the water.  cleardrift floats + 8lb Seaguar + killer roe = Lots of Coho!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »

--I usually use foam as I fish many different areas and river sizes it is difficult to buy off the shelf for every situation. I have to make or modify floats for the areas I'm fishing in. Often don't have the luxury of information on water flow and conditions before I get there so take a range of items I think I need but often need to fine tune.
--I have some so called old style cleardrifts and haven't broken any bottoms off so I take it that the new and improved will be bullet proof. To be fair I didn't really notice there was an unusual amount of breakage or leaking with the old style and just see the striving for continuous improvement as a plus much like when this local company was asked to produce some different colours.. they did.
--Will definitely buy and use the new 11gm when it is available and if the old ones eventually break I will replace and use the improved version.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2010, 08:49:22 AM »

I use foam, plastic and balsa but plastic is what I use most.  I too had a problem with the bottom leaking on an older cleardrift but i have not had any problems with the new ones I bought recently.  And they have one upped Drennan with their new Chartreuse tops for low light fishing!

shi man oh man

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »

I wish i could find a drennan in a 16g   does cleardrift make anything in between 11g and 20g

ribolovac02

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »

I've used cleardrift since "cleardrift" gave me  a couple a few seasons back up around borden creek area we met,had been working for me very well,of course the odd one had leaked water into but that was mostly after extensive use, made like 20 trips sometimes, and endless times missed hooksets that ended up in the canyon rocks,of course the float is gonna leak eventually,i honestly think people are overexaturating on this Cleardrift sub topic that has been created in this thread,it could be just poor storage and care of the float prior use ;D
Cheers

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2010, 10:54:24 PM »

While Cleardrifts may not be as durable, I still like them as a good alternative to Drennans.  The Drennans are just too expensive (ask FFM, he lost 3 in one morning).  Even if a bit of water does get into them, they still float ok in the water.  cleardrift floats + 8lb Seaguar + killer roe = Lots of Coho!

You just had to bring that up didn't you?   ;D  I agree - the cleardrifts are a good alternative to drennans.  I did have one leak on me, but that was after multiple trips.  One thing...I do prefer the red tops as the chartreuse tops can be very hard to see - esp. if there's glare on the water.