Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your favourite type of floats for salmon and steelhead fishing ?

Foam
- 52 (37.7%)
Plastic (Drennan, Cleardrifts)
- 61 (44.2%)
Balsa
- 18 (13%)
Cork
- 5 (3.6%)
Others
- 2 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 136

Author Topic: Floats  (Read 22861 times)

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Floats
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »

When using the cleardrift floats its all about the drift its meant for fishermen who enjoy river fishing ...Its a very durable well priced float for the money.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 02:50:31 AM »

dne foam floats are probably the best value for the buck...great drift and sensitivity on the bite...i use 25 or 30 gr depending on the flow.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 07:52:59 AM »

I'm not sure how much of a difference the clear float makes - but I use them anyway and been very successful.  Coho are notorious for being finicky, so I use every advantage possible.  Mind you, I've used foam floats in the past and did fine.  When it comes to foam floats, I do prefer a more subtle colour - e.g., green as opposed to black floats.

I've been using drennan pikers and cleardrifts lately.  I prefer the track of the piker - but the cleardrift is fine also.  At half the price, it's hard not to have a few cleardrifts in my vest.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 08:27:55 AM »

When it comes to foam floats, I do prefer a more subtle colour - e.g., green as opposed to black floats.

I too like the green foam floats - the long skinny one looks like a de-barked stick floating down the river.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 03:11:51 PM »

dne foam floats are probably the best value for the buck...great drift and sensitivity on the bite...i use 25 or 30 gr depending on the flow.

My thoughts exactly, I use the same.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 08:53:40 AM »

I've got them all in my vest but I do prefer the torpedo shape as apposed to the flat topped dink float as it creates less of a disturbance in the water on the retrieve which can make a difference when the fish are easily spooked especially on the slower clearer  water

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 05:01:09 PM »

I'm really liking the dne 25 gram floats ;D

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »

I really like the DNE balsa's and DNE foamies.  Been using the same float for the past 6 months. 

fishnjim

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 11:02:56 PM »

foam is easy to come by and is tried and tested.  also can make some from foam from big rolls.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:10 PM »

the red and white things

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2010, 09:02:55 PM »

I like the 20 / 25 gram DNE, seem to give me a nice yet sensitive drift. Cleardrifts are great but they won't give me a deal if i buy a bulk amount so i am literally in tears about it.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 07:01:56 PM »

the red and white things
i used them for years and have some great memories watching them inna trance float down small streams in penticton.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

obie1fish

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 09:15:32 AM »

Cork.

I use a centerpin, and cork adds a little more weight to the cast, making for fewer split shot. I bought a boxful at the A and N a long time ago for 5 cents each. I painted the tops- not too much paint- and lacquered 'em. Good rainy day project. And as someone said before, it sorta looks like bark.

Is it a better alternative? Probably not- I use all types of float, and each has its charms, but it's fishing with homemade gear, and if you like that sort of thing, well, great. It's about enjoyment, right?

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 06:19:41 PM »

Cleardritfts, love the drift... does the clear float help? who knows.  They are more durable than balsa and drift better then foamies in my opinion

if i use a clear drift for an extended period of time they almost always break at the bottom or begin to fill with water...i custom make my own balsa straight thru and dowel floats and they stand up better than anything else.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »

kingpin those are the old style floats that the bottom ends used to break off.The new style ones are alot stronger and the ends do not break.