Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your favourite type of floats for salmon and steelhead fishing ?

Foam
- 52 (37.7%)
Plastic (Drennan, Cleardrifts)
- 61 (44.2%)
Balsa
- 18 (13%)
Cork
- 5 (3.6%)
Others
- 2 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 136

Author Topic: Floats  (Read 22861 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Floats
« on: November 09, 2010, 11:47:30 AM »

Let's hear about your favourites

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: Floats
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »

Until recently I would always fish with foamies because they were so much cheaper.    As I have gained more confidence and seldom lose my floats now I really like the balsa drennan style - they just track in the water so much better.  (..don't much like the price tag so I make sure I use them on a strong mainline with a relatively light leader nowadays).

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 01:40:45 PM »

I like the foam DNE's and Cleardrifts, depends on whats in my vest at the time if i lose a float and whichever i grab out of my pockets LOL 
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 02:01:58 PM »

I like the DNEs for general use, was also using those 20g Drennan rip offs from Outdoor Sports but they aren't the sturdiest, the weld always breaks off the bottom. Was using an 11 gram  Drennan for small stream Steelhead fishing earlier in the year and really liked the tracking and sensitivity but not the price. Not entirely convinced about the need for the stealth floats as changed to those white 10 -15 gram DNE trout floats for fishing early Cap Coho with a couple of split shot and had just as much success in the low shallow water as with the Drennans. Think that picking the right weight of float for the water flow and balancing the float properly is more important that the type.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:12:38 PM »

Do wine bottle corks count  :P ?  Thats what i've used this fall.  Holds up 1/4 oz jig perfectly  :D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 02:47:17 PM »

After fishing Drennans, Stealth, and Cleardrift floats for the past few years, I've just switched back to Foam floats. The ones I like are very thin diameter (5/8" or so) and are 4" long. They are a different style foam than is used on most floats. They work perfect for me because they balance out with 4 splitshots. However the only place I can find the ones I want is Freds.

t-bone

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:55:29 PM »

i like foam the best, 1 inch short (4") cheap and easy.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »

I've used the dne foam floats most of the time,  I don't like those dink floats they drift horribly...I have 20 sitting in my basement that I've picked up on my many outtings.
I've started to use cleardrifts during clear conditions...is it necessary? I dont know but I use them anyways lol.
I have a couple 11 gram drennans for those very slow flows...which I rarely use...as I can never find the appropriate water

burnaby

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »

Where is the option for the cheapest (which is foam).
or better yet for the environmentally friendly cheapo whatever I find in the log jam.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 04:05:25 PM »

A 4 inch HD dink, or 25 gram DNE. I cry everytime, I lose a 10, 15, 20 steelhead head float. :'(  ;D

But then I just pretend it was a maple leaf float and my heads back in the game.
The Bigger The Better!

FishOn36

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 04:34:03 PM »

I use the Gibbs foam floats, the firm foam that they're making them out of now is great...they hold up a lot better than the previous ones.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 05:33:45 PM »

i have used the stealth floats most of the time and have not had a problem, but for the smaller streams i have used smaller foam floats  from gibbs with great success.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 05:46:13 PM »

i buy 50 packs of foam floats made by a local out here..cant beat them
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

one more cast

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 06:12:01 PM »

i buy 50 packs of foam floats made by a local out here..cant beat them

Do you have a link Kingpin to these floats or any info to possibly purchase?

Thanks.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 07:24:32 PM »

20-30g DNE or thin foam dink float.  I'm not sold on expensive floats.  I've fished beside guys using pricey floats and done just as well.  I don't always wait until the float sinks to set the hook, and I don't feel a hyper sensitive float is crucial to success.