Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the Sage CT 2106 the BEST steelhead/coho levelwind rod?  (Read 24846 times)

norm_2

Is the Sage CT 2106 the BEST steelhead/coho levelwind rod?
« on: November 27, 2009, 03:23:49 PM »

I am thinking about buying myself a Christmas present.  If is isn't the best, what is?  Could those who have a "green" color rod share their thoughts on this rod?  Does anybody have any other thoughts? Thanks.

searun17

• Old Timer
Re: Is the Sage CT 2106 the BEST steelhead/coho levelwind rod?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 12:40:06 AM »

i own a 2106 brown blank and i really enjoy fishing with this rod but like chromekings said there are lots of good rods out there ,its about personal preference,the only way to find what rods you prefer are to fish with them,a rod that i think is great somebody else may think otherwise,in my opinion the 2106 is a very good steelhead ,coho rod for vedder sized rivers.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Jona

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »

I think sage is really overrated.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »

I pick my Rods like I do my shoes, Ill go with what ever fits and feels nice. I got a lamiglas x106mc, yet I always seem to leave the house with my 20 dollar hubs basement special. All a preference thing.
The Bigger The Better!

c-pin

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 02:21:01 PM »

OK .... I have to admit that I own numerous Sage drift rods, and I am a Sage snob. I only own 1 "green blank" Sage rod (CT290), and enjoy it for spoon fishing (the photo on my profile - a Terrace Coho - was caught on this rod). However, I have other rods: G Loomis / Lamiglass / St Croix, and enjoy them immensley. I have found the Sage 2106 a GREAT all round rod. I use it for Coho / Steelhead / Pink Salmon. I have also caught Chums and Springs on this rod without (it seems) any effort.

Again, a great rod, but there are other rods that are just as good, and cheaper.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

koko

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 02:32:53 PM »

When you have to wading a lot or on big rivers, rod like 3113 sage or 1365 G.loomis is a better choice. 2106 ct is a very nice all around rod, For your first really nice rod that's what I would buy.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 05:27:03 PM by koko »

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 02:42:53 PM »

I have a G.Loomis GL3 1445C which is a 12' 8-17lb rated casting rod. It has become my go-to rod for the past year. It is great for rivers that range in size from the Chehalis to the Vedder all the way up to the Thompson. If I fish a smaller flow like the Capilano I'd switch to a smaller rod. Possibly my Sage CT290 green blank or a centrepin rod.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 03:31:58 PM »

I also have the 1445C GLoomis and I really like it.
the 12 foot length really comes in handy on mid to large sections of river.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 08:10:45 PM »

What's the difference between a "green" and "brown" Sage ?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 08:19:32 PM »

I don't own a Sage drift rod so I can't comment on the action but the brown ones are old and the green replace them.

shortfloat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 02:17:37 PM »

If you can get your hands on an orginal 2106lb blank I would deffinotly get that rod built or even a 3106lb. The action on those two blanks is awesome. I find the new sage rods alittle overpriced and the action has changed. I have fished sage rods for years and they are awesome but I have never fished  new ones. I now actually fish a factory lamiglass bait casting rod , I think the line rating is 8 -12 lb main line. I love that rod nice and light. I found though this year that with that rod I really had to wail on the hook set. Not much back bone in the Rod, but great rod to fish all day. my 2cents.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 02:52:56 PM »

If you can get your hands on an orginal 2106lb blank I would deffinotly get that rod built or even a 3106lb.

I prefer the 2106B and the B3106GSH which have a great action, as well.  My B3106GSH is a centre pin rod (probably the all around best model that Sage built IMHO.....Brian Babcock told me he thought it was, as well) and the 2106B is a level wind.  I originally bought the 2106B about 10 years back to fish sockeye on the Fraser before it was frowned upon. Just about everytime I was out I'd also hook up on a spring as by-catch.  I landed many, many springs on that rod, several up to 40 lbs. and it held up nicely to everyone of them....a much stronger rod than most would suspect but sensitive enough to detect even the lightest takes when chucking spoons and blades for coho or steelies which I also used the rod for.  

All the 2106's brown blanks are great all around rods!  Haven't tried the green ones so I can't comment on the action or power of these rods but it's hard to go wrong with Sage.  I'd buy one second hand to save some bucks...they're always available as long as you're not in too big a hurry to get one.  I've bought all my built up ones (brown blanks) for under $275 (2106, 3106, 3113) and all my blanks to build them myself for under $200 (4120, 3106) but they were all purchased 10 years ago or more but I've seen some 2nd hand ones lately around the $300 mark.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:00:06 PM by mastercaster »

n8

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 11:09:21 PM »

I had a green 2106... didn't like it because it's really butt-heavy and the action is pretty slow... Loomis GL3 1263 would be my steelhead, coho, pink rod for the Vedder if you want a nice rod. Light weight, fast action, well balanced. The affordable option would be the 10'6 Fenwick HMX... light, well balanced, pretty fast action, 5 year warranty, and all for only $150?? can't go wrong I don't think..

norm_2

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »

Thanks for the many good thoughts.

Ntjipta, when you say butt-heavy, I guess you are saying it is physically heavy.  Another interpretation of butt-heavy maybe that the butt is too stiff, but this would mean that the rod is fast action whereas you said the rod is slow action.  Could you clarify that you are saying it is physically heavy?

The other alternative is a Loomis GL3 1263.  I have fished with a GL2.  For those of you with a GL3, not a GL2, could you comment on what some have said that GL3's are brittle?  How long have you have yours?

As these are pretty expensive rods, I and those thinking about a high-end rod, appreciate your information.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 10:34:15 AM »

I've used Sage's, lamiglas, Loomis, Fenwick, shimano, etc..

My go to gear rod right now is my Green Sage  CT2106 factory.  If you want fast rods, Loomis is the ticket but I find that the fit and finish are not up to Sage standards for the price that you are paying.  Sage's are a bit slower than Loomis but I haven't found any problems with hookset and its oh so sweet when battling a fish.  You can see the quality that goes into their factory gear rods, the premium cork, guides etc..

According to sage, there are no differences in the action of the brown blanks as opposed to the new green ones in their factory rods.  Any differences may be attributable to how the custom rods were built (number and placement of guides etc..)