Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: speeding ticket  (Read 22839 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: speeding ticket
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 10:08:50 AM »

It's not always about upholding the law if your in a cash crunch. The police make more money handing out tickets than arresting someone for some other crime. A rotton chum in the pants for any officer nailing you for doing 2 k over the speed limit. (still upset about the ticket I got this summer)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 10:14:55 AM »

I know a bit about radar guns; unless they were calibrated that morning there is usually a  error variance of .5%. I honestly cannot imagine police do not know that and most judges would through it out simply on that potential of error when speaking of  2 km over the limit. I 've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for less the 5- 10km over speed.

yakideath12

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 10:57:44 AM »

This is the story.

I was on the way to stave. As soon as I passed the signal light at bruce market, I saw a police car in front of my line.As usual, I kept my distance between cop and me. My car's speedometer says he's going 90km/h at 80km/h( They usually do that as I know). I kept following him untill the two lines become one line( I dont exactly know where is it,but im sure its 80km limit before it becomes into one line).Before that I saw another two police officers were shooting speed gun about 200m away(it was cloudy day, they wore highlight green jacket,easy to notice),so I reduced my speed even though I was at 80km. At that point the police moved to second line and there was a truck in front of him. They were going 60km as me. So that I decided to speed up to 80km which was highway speed limit. I passed the police, all the sudden siren and light on, pulled me over.

I showed him my driver licence( he didnt even ask my insurance ???), he asked me address, date of birth, etc... after that he told me that the reason why he pulled me over is speeding....   :o So, he went back to his car and brought a ticket.
I told him that here is 80km/h zone and I never over speeding.( logically, there is police beside of you, would you over speeding?)  I asked him " is there anything you can prove I was going over 80km/h?" he said " my rader says you were going 82km/h"....... :o It was just no comment..also, he explained that when he moved to second line he was going 80km/h( my smelly socks) and I passed him( of course, they were going 60 to 70 km, I was going 80km).Thus you must go over 10 to 20km over from my observation. Wow, so I told him that from your observation, i must go 90km/h or 100km/h at that time and before you went back to your car, you just said that I was going 82km on your rader. He replied back "I never said that Mr,Park" ??? :o 8) and " i was going to give you warning this time. Ok, Im going to give you ticket now" so he went back and brought a ticket again. WTF? he threw a ticket on me and left this comment" see you on court Mr,Park."( no my smelly socks)

nkj

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 11:19:27 AM »

Wow..end of the month, got to meet their quota!!!  If they were using a radar gun or a hair drier as I like to call them, you could question whether or not they were trained on it, here is the catch, not all of RCMPs are trained on radar guns but can use them.  It even sounds like he is ready to go to court, I say its a bluff, you should dispute the ticket in court.  Sig or no sig doesn't matter.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »

Go to court and say everything that you put here - make notes now so you don't forget anything.
Have a diagram or map showing your car, his car, the speed limits, etc.

Judges hate it when their time is wasted and he will give the cop crap (if he shows).

It sounds like you have a legitimate claim that you were not speeding and the cop was out to get you after you complained.

Does it say 82km on the ticket?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »

I fought my last ticket and the cop never even showed. It took almost 2 yrs until i got my court date  >:( after 2yrs the ticket gets tossed out though. I fight any ticket i ever get, more times then not the cops dont even show up and your off if as long as you dont plead guilty  ;)

Does the ticket even state the speed you were doing or does it just state a violation number ??
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

yakideath12

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 11:30:28 AM »

I fought my last ticket and the cop never even showed. It took almost 2 yrs until i got my court date  >:( after 2yrs the ticket gets tossed out though.

Does the ticket even state the speed you were doing or does it just state a violation number ??

violation number

speed against hwy sign 146(3) 138 dollars

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »

i recently have to go to court for disputing a ticket due to crossing a train bridge....anywho, my signature is not on the ticket, although my neighbour is a cop, says it does not matter, although i still have some reasons to dispute. but the signature does not let you off in most cases.

doja

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 11:40:32 AM »

#1 going to court costs you money, and cops know that. You may just be better off paying it. It's cheaper for me to pay the ticket, unless it's over a few hundred dollars.

#2 they are NOT suppose to throw the ticket at you but mail it if you refuse to sign it. I'd write a letter and follow with a call to the watch commander about the incident and detail it very carefully so there are no mistakes about what happened. I believe throwing a piece of paper is an offense of assault of some sort and the officer may have some explaining to do as to how an unsigned paper appeared in you vehicle against your wishes. Hell that's littering your private property and very much illegal.

#3 never pass a cop, EVER. And stay as far away from them as you can, Kinda like jerks and a-holes, keep your distance to stay out of trouble.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 12:14:06 PM »

You talked back to him end of story. They are the law and what they saw goes, don't argue with them.
He would have given you a warning if you would have just agreed.
Sorry but it's your own fault.
And you might be able to get back at him if he actually threw the ticket at you, but I'm not sure a cop would actually throw it in your car.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 12:32:40 PM »

For $140 its not even worth it to attend court. Miss a days wages, gas to get to court, the hassle etc etc. 

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

yakideath12

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 12:40:42 PM »

For $140 its not even worth it to attend court. Miss a days wages, gas to get to court, the hassle etc etc. 

I do not care about the $140 if i violated the law.

doja

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »

Don't forget police are humans who routinely make mistakes.

Could you imaging going around in life not being corrected on your mistakes because you don't like to be questioned? ::)

That said, YOU could be mistaken too.  ;) ;D   It does go both ways, but in the event you were in the wrong the officer has a responsibility to be professional as he is dealing with the public and if he did throw the ticket at you, that is not professional and done in bad faith.

Remember, you have a piece of paper that you didn't want in your vehicle against your wishes and that is not right. You have very good evidence of that and if you contact his watch commander he may try to lie his way out of what happened which very well may lead to the ticket getting ripped up without going to court as they have that right. At the very least it was done in a very unprofessional manner as that piece of paper could have gone un-noticed and blown in your face and caused and accident.

There are many new and not very smart officers on the streets right now who make lots of mistakes. Look at the hiring program they have going on, they are scraping the bottom of the barrel and still coming up empty.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:18:11 PM by doja »

doja

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 01:22:48 PM »

I'd like to hear the officers' side of this argument, we're only hearing one side right now. Unfair to make a decision without both sides of this case. ;D

In court the judge takes the officers word above all others, even if you are a very upstanding member of society.

That's one sided. ::)   ;D ;D

For by-law and Motor vehicle infractions (anything non criminal) the cop does not have to provide any evidence but his own testimony. Can you any one explain how a mistake on the officers part will be caught. It won't. >:(
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:26:14 PM by doja »

mr.p

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 01:25:54 PM »

It looks like shiz hit the fan as soon as you talked back to the officer.  That is never ever a good idea.

As far as disputing or just paying the ticket.... I think you have a good chance if you dispute.
And remember, its not just the $140 ticket.  But also 3 demerit points.  And those demerits can affect possible employment opportunities.

You have a few options...

a) pay the ticket.

b) dispute in cout

c) plead guilty, ask for reduction in fine. http://www.ag.gov.bc.ca/courts/forms/ptr/ptr022.pdf

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...