Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder fishing  (Read 23019 times)

tumbleweed

Re: vedder fishing
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2009, 06:48:55 PM »

Hey Tumbleweed, I was out yesterday for the first time this season for a few hours. I landed a big hatch buck coho and about 1/2 doz pinks in the yap, all floatfishing roe. I did foul hook some but only a few, caught far more in the mouth.  I managed to avoid foul hooking fish by watching my float, being patient, and only setting the hook when I was somewhat confident that it was a fish's mouth on the bait. I wrote about this in a post on the "shortfloating" thread but you can get a good idea of what is happening underwater by the behaviour of your float. If you set the hook every time that your float moves you will snag lots of pinks. If you are patient and wait for your float to signal a strike, and not just a bump on your line, you will snag far less. Good luck.
Thanks for the tips clarki. I think I was to eager to set my hook. I will watch my float closer next time. 

marbles

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2009, 06:49:48 PM »

Marbles it appear that we may have been at the wrong location today.
where should we have been?? :'(

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2009, 06:49:53 PM »

good points Clarki, another good thing to do is if you feel your roe "bumping" into fish then shorten it a few more inches so you ride ABOVE the pinks and accidental snags should be halted completely and yes the fish that want to bite will move for the roe so when your float dips or stops you know its a fish for sure  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2009, 08:14:25 PM »

Marbles it appear that we may have been at the wrong location today.
You should find them throughout the system now as they will be on the move towards the hatchery. The next couple of weeks will be the time to get them before the Fall rains comes, the river jumps, gets dirty and they all move through. :'(

minsyoo

« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »

i was out at vedder, may be i was too far up the river, i saw a bajillion pinks and people were snagging them EVERYWHERE. in shallow parts that come "off" the river to the sides, the humpies were running around like rats. haha! i'm gonna try a different spot tomorrow.

samw

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2009, 10:39:57 PM »

I was wondering how many people here have hiked arund the vedder,and what can of luck you have had over the years??I mean standing shoulder to shoulder at the alison pool just doesnt seem like fun.aslo I have heard of car break in's???

Was at Allison Pool.  Talked to some people as they were leaving and they told me they only stayed 5 minutes.  Went down and found out why people were leaving so soon and why there were so few people fishing.  People down there were throwing rocks into the pools.  I stayed about 5 minutes and caught nothing.  haha.  Went to Thurston Meadows.  It was nice and empty for 10 minutes until a dozen people showed up.  I left after 10 minutes.  It was a non-productive day.

one more cast

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2009, 10:58:29 PM »

Was at Allison Pool.  Talked to some people as they were leaving and they told me they only stayed 5 minutes.  Went down and found out why people were leaving so soon and why there were so few people fishing.  People down there were throwing rocks into the pools.  I stayed about 5 minutes and caught nothing.  haha.  Went to Thurston Meadows.  It was nice and empty for 10 minutes until a dozen people showed up.  I left after 10 minutes.  It was a non-productive day.

I don't get it, why were people throwing rocks into the pools?

Were they none fishers, trying to cause trouble?

Were they trying to hit fish on the head?????

samw

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2009, 11:33:18 PM »

Looked like a group of people having a good time.  A few in the group were fishing but I doubt anyone caught anything as I'm sure the fish were spooked.  There were no serious people fishing there.  Probably all got scared off or they realized that the fish were spooked.  I'm heading back to the Fraser.    :)

marbles

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2009, 06:43:42 AM »

yes I will admit yesterday was non productice fish producing day but I learned lots,and if you look up theres mountains evrywhere,standing in the middle of river its a pretty cool thing,were lucky to have the rivers we have,now enough of that,next week FISH ON!! i hope ;D