Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder fishing  (Read 23017 times)

funpig

Re: vedder fishing
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 05:16:48 PM »

I believe he was referring to a year round bait ban. As long as the fish is eaten why not harvest a doe for the roe? Only keeps the cycle going of bait for fishing... Unless you have a problem with anglers who use bait as it seems like you do judging by your post. I know that if the vedder was a year round bait ban that the number of snaggers out there would sky rocket as what will everyone use? WOOL  :-\

Read the second sentence in my post.  As the law stands now, if you catch and keep a female, do whatever you want with the roe;  eat it, chuck it or use it for bait (if permitted).   But, personally, I believe that there is an issue that there are too many people who will only target and kill female fish primarily for the roe to be used as bait.  And what should I conclude from your last statement?  If anglers can't use roe, they will become snaggers in order to kill the same number of fish as before?  Or snaggers can kill more fish than bait fishermen who can kill more fish than artificial lure fishermen?   So, yes, in my opinion, if there was a year round bait ban on the Vedder, we would end up killing less fish.  

Gaffer

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 05:33:12 PM »

I was wondering how many people here have hiked arund the vedder,and what can of luck you have had over the years??I mean standing shoulder to shoulder at the alison pool just doesnt seem like fun.aslo I have heard of car break in's???
Park your car anywhere safe-- walk to the river --anywhere-- then walk up or down river to find your own "secret spots" -- much better than elbow to elbow with 30 river hogs --also you meet a better class of people if you walk to "your " spot--Cheers

marbles

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 05:35:19 PM »

I personally dont see aproblem with using bait,using bait while hunting is a whole other argument,snagging should be banned period,that what we should be discussing,when I was at pegleg during the pink season,I caught nothing,while the snaggers cleaned up

marbles

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 05:37:04 PM »

Park your car anywhere safe-- walk to the river --anywhere-- then walk up or down river to find your own "secret spots" -- much better than elbow to elbow with 30 river hogs --also you meet a better class of people if you walk to "your " spot--Cheers
thanks gaffer Im looking forward to saturday,now I dont want anyone to get mad hear and yes I have read the rgs Im just trying to figure tyhe vedder boundaires,from to where can I fish

marbles

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 05:54:54 PM »

the vedder crossing west is fishable is it not??

marbles

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »

thanks for that coho

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »

the vedder crossing west is fishable is it not??

Yes, it is fishable all the way to the confluence of the Fraser River.

The boundaries and opening times can be found at http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/0911/fish-synopsis_2009-11_region2.pdf

The Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information is summarized in this thread: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=21963.0

whereismyfloat

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 06:54:17 PM »

It the mouth of the Vedder (where it meets the Fraser) accessable by walking/car?

whereismyfloat

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »

is it private indian land there?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 03:20:40 PM »

you can walk to the mouth but there is absolutely nowhere to fish from shore there. We did the walk a few years ago and it sucked to find nothing  >:(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

whereismyfloat

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2009, 03:50:31 PM »

Thanks,

that will save a few thousand calories

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 03:57:47 PM »

Do not attempt to walk you way to the mouth, You will never find your way back.... But the whole marshy walk there is a good workout. You could drive up to island 22 and walk the railroad tracks, which will take you to an area near the mouth that youll have all to yourself.
The Bigger The Better!

whereismyfloat

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 04:27:11 PM »

is it suitable with a fly rod or just casting gear?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2009, 10:15:49 PM »

Do not attempt to walk you way to the mouth, You will never find your way back.... But the whole marshy walk there is a good workout. You could drive up to island 22 and walk the railroad tracks, which will take you to an area near the mouth that youll have all to yourself.

Let me guess...you have never actually walked to the mouth from Island 22, have you?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »

I was going to say the same thing Clarki. Can't be done, so to save some people some time, the mouth of the Vedder is not accessible by foot from Island 22.