Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder fishing  (Read 23016 times)

koko

Re: vedder fishing
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 08:17:18 PM »

You dont have to be old to know what your doing

If your not short floating then what are you doing ?? long lining

you can short float roe,blades,wool,etc or toss spoons but most spots on the vedder wont allow you to toss spoons casue the water is to low

I guess you know it all already, that's when you stop learning.

marbles

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 08:17:49 PM »

ok so roe it is,do I nee to go to bery's bait??or will anyting work??I remeber years ago just using the mohawk gas sation roe,and hooking  fish  bar fishing,I remeber when bar fishing use to be good,not sure how it is now but I aaaume the coho stocks have dwindled since then :o

koko

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 08:23:15 PM »

Short floating is the BEST way to avoid foul hooking fish as it is the easiest to learn and master. Its not just the "old guys" that have the tricks. No matter what method is used its the angler that decides if they are snagging fish or not. I would say that 80% of the anglers who snag fish are not even aware that they are actually flossing/snagging the fish.

I wouldn't hit the vedder for how to tips unless you really pay attention to what you are being told and think it through thoroughly. Most of the good anglers are the ones alone, quiet, and hooking fish lol, many of them if approached and asked some questions will be willing to help out, I know I have on many occasions.
another lonely short floater ;D

aquaholic

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 08:33:20 PM »

I guess you know it all already, that's when you stop learning.

Never said i know it all but i catch allot of fish short floating roe

One you learn to read water and know where fish are travelling and holding, SHORT FLOATING ROE is deadly !!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:37:58 PM by aquaholic »

marbles

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 08:36:46 PM »

Never said i know it all but i catch allot of fish short floating roe

One you learn to read water and know where fish are travelling and holding, SHORT FLOATING ROE is deadly !!
cool I will try this technique for sure

koko

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »

Meaning? Do you short float as well?
Actually I short float all the time, but i also  just bouce off the bottom with a float with pink worm, spinner for steelhead, all I am saying is nothing is so certain in life. You can say all spey fisherman is flosser, but some of them actually can tell the different of a take or a floss. What are you guys going to use when Vedder have a bait ban.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:56:31 PM by koko »

koko

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 09:10:52 PM »

I look forward to that day IF it ever happens. Maybe Ill take up spey fishing then :P Its doubtful that the vedder will ever change to a bait ban river that would be a HUGE hit to feshwater licence sales and we all know the government only wants our money lol.
You have a very good point, money talk. Vedder really is a put and take fishery.

minsyoo

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 11:08:06 PM »

i'm planning to go out to vedder this weekend (before sunrise at first daylight)

now i'm considering possibly making another trip to vedder on friday. only thing is, by the time i get there, it'll be late afternoon.

many people have told me there are cohos out there and they just don't bite late in to the day like that, is this true? vedder is a pretty good distance from me, and i don't wanna make a trip that's not recommended..

Nibbles

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 12:11:03 AM »

How do you guys make  the roe stay on the hook longer?

marbles

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 06:02:27 AM »

I think you can buy roe acks,or roe bags and that will keep it togther for longer,correct me if I'm wrong

funpig

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 08:56:46 AM »

I look forward to that day IF it ever happens. Maybe Ill take up spey fishing then :P Its doubtful that the vedder will ever change to a bait ban river that would be a HUGE hit to feshwater licence sales and we all know the government only wants our money lol.
There are already bait bans at certain times of years and on certain waters, including the Vedder.  I know that for many anglers, roe is just a byproduct of your catch.  But there are a significant number of people who would kill fish just to harvest the roe (eg. allegations of first nations; even on this thread there are more than a few who selectively fish for females or will catch and release all day but then keep a doe at the end of the day just for the roe;  and how many more chums would be killed just for the roe if there wasn't a daily limit of one?)    Wouldn't it be better conservation (and more sporting) if there was a total bait ban?  And if there were less people buying freshwater fishing licenses and less people on the Vedder, wouldn't that be a good thing?

toyt_lines

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 09:13:20 AM »

And if there were less people buying freshwater fishing licenses and less people on the Vedder, wouldn't that be a good thing?

No. Alot of fisheries programs would be cut from the ones already gone

kodiak

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »

I buy pink color mesh at walmart and tie roe sacks to make it last longer.

marbles

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 03:54:12 PM »

I believe he was referring to a year round bait ban. As long as the fish is eaten why not harvest a doe for the roe? Only keeps the cycle going of bait for fishing... Unless you have a problem with anglers who use bait as it seems like you do judging by your post. I know that if the vedder was a year round bait ban that the number of snaggers out there would sky rocket as what will everyone use? WOOL  :-\
I agree with this x2

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 05:08:50 PM »

I think a bait ban on the Vedder is highly unlikely as the DFO gods and the sports advisory groups would have brought up the increased snagging senario as a certainty. They would rather opt for either a C & R regulation or have a short retention period usually at the end of a species run so those wanting roe only have a limited time to fish therefore limiting the amount of does killed for roe bait fishery.

If there were a serious decline in a specific species  or if DFO wanted to protect a specifc run unique to a river system ie: Thompson Coho then the bait ban would be instituted.
I personally have weaned myself off using bait by taken up fly fishing and using artificial lures like wool,plastics,jigs and hardware. I seem to get my fair share of bites which is which is what counts. 
Using bait is really about state of mind. If you feel you need bait to get fish then thats what will be used. If you have confidence and have proven that to oneself that you can get bites on artificials then you won't need bait.
It ain't the roe bro'