Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder fishing  (Read 23020 times)

marbles

vedder fishing
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:12:09 PM »

I was wondering how many people here have hiked arund the vedder,and what can of luck you have had over the years??I mean standing shoulder to shoulder at the alison pool just doesnt seem like fun.aslo I have heard of car break in's???

Rybar

Re: vedder fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »

Prob everybody on this forum has, it's the only way to get away from the crowds and find new spots you have never fished before. Just remember there are no real secret spots on the Vedder unless it gets blown out and creates new ones we all have to re-discover.

minsyoo

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 04:32:29 PM »

generally, a short walk of 10 minutes or so from the "shoulder to shoulder spots" will get you a "less shoulder to shoulder" area. it's probably difficult to find a spot where you have no one else in sight, but it sure is nicer.

I was also warned by a few different people about break-in's. it's unfortunate but not having valuables in the car is probably all we could do, and hope for the best. I feel the good thing about places where a lot of people are at, is safety. Last time I was at Vedder, I was at spot where many people were and parked in a parking lot and there were people coming and going at all times, which made me feel safer.

marbles

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 04:48:34 PM »

OK I get the not so shoulder to shoulder,I'm not in search of utopia just
somewhere I don't have to untangle my line regularly and have people get mad because I'm not a
super star fisherman ;D like ::) them

koko

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:08:33 PM »

When you get better casting, some time is not a bad idea to fish with crowds so you can learn a lot of good & bad, life is a choice. you can only learn so much on your own.

marbles

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »

I hear ya,just dont want anyone freaking out,I may have to toss them in the river ;D

aquaholic

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 05:39:58 PM »

learning from 70% of the people out there is not a great idea to do, there all snagging

Find bottom re adjust your float so your about a foot off the bottom with a piece of roe and work the water, don't rip the line at the end of each drift, if your not hitting bottom and your float goes down its most likely a fish.

So many people rip the line at the end of there drift all it does is foul hooks fish and spooks the fish holding in the area.

Go out have fun and fish properly you will have a much better day with more hook ups !!

Goodluck !!

marbles

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 05:47:58 PM »

learning from 70% of the people out there is not a great idea to do, there all snagging

Find bottom re adjust your float so your about a foot off the bottom with a piece of roe and work the water, don't rip the line at the end of each drift, if your not hitting bottom and your float goes down its most likely a fish.

So many people rip the line at the end of there drift all it does is foul hooks fish and spooks the fish holding in the area.

Go out have fun and fish properly you will have a much better day with more hook ups !!

Goodluck !!thanks alot,all the advice helps,me and friend went salmon fishing for pinks,thats what has us going I havent fished inyears,but when we were at peg leg  I was discusted with most of the people there were snagging

koko

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »

There is a lot of good fisherman on the Vedder, those old guy have lot of trick if you care to listen, just because you short float, don't mean is the only way to go.

minsyoo

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 06:22:26 PM »

i'm pretty new to fishing as well, and i learned a lot here. In my experience, it was good to learn from others, because after I'd read up on every bit of information these knowledgeable guys have, I was able to tell the difference between the "good and bad" examples. A good combination of ethics and skills is what we want, and this forum can teach you them. When I want visuals with my lessons, though, that's when I look for advice from fellow anglers.

aquaholic

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »

There is a lot of good fisherman on the Vedder, those old guy have lot of trick if you care to listen, just because you short float, don't mean is the only way to go.

You dont have to be old to know what your doing

If your not short floating then what are you doing ?? long lining

you can short float roe,blades,wool,etc or toss spoons but most spots on the vedder wont allow you to toss spoons casue the water is to low

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:50:48 PM by aquaholic »

tumbleweed

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 07:55:10 PM »

Is using wool as productive as using roe? What colors of wool should I be using at this time of year?

aquaholic

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 07:58:04 PM »

Is using wool as productive as using roe? What colors of wool should I be using at this time of year?

Roe will out perform wool !! only time i ever use wool is when im using jensen eggs for steelhead white or peach with a single jensen thats it

minsyoo

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 08:04:43 PM »

Roe will out perform wool !! only time i ever use wool is when im using jensen eggs for steelhead white or peach with a single jensen thats it

i've seen a couple of posts on this forum about roe curing, dying, etc...

is that absolutely necessary?

I am planning on going out this weekend, hoping for some cohos, but I can't do any of the curing/dying process because I'm out of town and won't be back until right before I go out. I was originally using yarn, but sounds like it's not gonna be the best way to go?

I guess I'm wondering if I can just walk in anywhere and pick up roe that's gonna be effective for fishing for some cohos

For some reason, I feel like when I read the answer to this, I'm gonna go "duh" but... what is the answer? :D

minsyoo

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 08:15:01 PM »

Coho are known to be little roe pigs, you could buy some cured roe from a tackle shop.

huh.. look at that..

that answer DID make me go "duh" :-[

thank you though! :)