Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pike Minnow Derby At Cultus Lake  (Read 25230 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Pike Minnow Derby At Cultus Lake
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 06:00:45 PM »

Gosh the lake is full of them as standalone said, maybe they are just beginning fishers. ;D ;D

Pikeminnow removal at Cultus slow to get going

Chris Good (left) and Dusty Diack chop pikeminnow in half and toss them back into Cultus Lake Thursday morning.
Fraser Valley

The pikeminnow of Cultus Lake refused to cooperate at first.

Under the guidance of captain Regan Birch, a purse-seining crew could be seen cruising back and forth over the known spawning areas of the lake looking for the fish over the past week or so.

They dropped the large net 20 to 25 feet down, and as much 45 feet.

They were on the hunt for emerging schools of the smolt-eating Northern pikeminnow, using "echo sounders" to pick up the underwater acoustics and quantify biomass.

"The fish aren't cooperating at all," said Captain Birch on the dock during a rainy and cool Tuesday morning, when the lake temperature was just edging above 15 degrees. "It just may take some time."

This is the fourth year of concerted pikeminnow removal, as part of the Cultus Lake Sockeye recovery strategy.

The local sockeye population has been whittled down to about 1,000 spawners, through a combination of overfishing, pollution and habitat degradation. Hatchery enhancement using captive broodstock of the lake-spawning sockeye is in effect. But the overall recovery goal is to raise the number of Cultus sockeye to 20,000 through a range of hopeful methods.

Pikeminnow started rising from the cool depths of the lake to spawn, as the lake temperatures started going up late this week.

Several days into this spring's assault on the pikeminnow, the fishing crew finally removed 357 fish in one net — after days of no results. It was the biggest scoop in one shot, near Jade Bay on Thursday morning.

But the ambitious project goal is to remove more than half of the pikeminnow population in the lake, estimated to be in the 80,000 to 90,000 range, said Dave Barrett, president of the Fraser Valley Salmon Table Society.

Any bycatch that comes up, like trout, kokanee or Dolly Varden char, will be scooped back into the lake with a dip net. Meanwhile the pikeminnow are counted, measured, and checked for gender. Then the crew members cut them in half and throw them back into the lake.

"We want to complete the pikeminnow removal in as few years as possible," Barrett said, when asked how long the predator removal project would take. They hope to take out 20,000 animals per year, said the fisheries biologist.

"The working theory is that they're preying on sockeye smolts."

Anecdotal evidence from the sportfishing community is that higher numbers of kokanee and trout are being caught by anglers, which bolsters the theory that predator removal is starting to work at Cultus Lake, Barrett added.

"So we think there's been an increase in smolt survival, or enough to encourage us to continue," he said.

The Salmon Table Society, a non-governmental organization, has undertaken the $80,000 pikeminnow project on behalf of a partnership between the Commercial Salmon Advisory Board (CSAB) and local First Nations, as part of an integrated Fraser River sockeye salmon management plan with other stakeholders.

The pikeminnow removal efforts to date have removed about 45,000 of the voracious predators in three years.

"But they keep reproducing," Barrett emphasized.

In the long-term it's hoped some of the projects will create stewardship and training opportunities, as well as jobs for the Soowahlie First Nation members.

So far one of the most positive aspects is the cooperation shown by the varied stakeholders around the Salmon Table, he said. First Nations reps are working in tandem with commercial reps around the Salmon table, as are conservation and sportfishing reps.

"I think it's really exciting," he noted about the partnership that's driving the Cultus sockeye recovery effort. "It's still early days, but ultimately we will really need a stable funding base."

Although things moved slowly at first, the groups at one point realized they were united around the common goal of helping recovery efforts for the Cultus sockeye.

"A lot of the historical problems seemed to just slip away," Barrett said. "I'm really stoked about this table.

"Some of what they're learning is about salmon biology, but some of it is just about how to get along."

jfeinberg@theprogress.com

yamadirt 426

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 07:25:58 PM »

Virgin cultus derby guy ?'s here . Whats the boat launch like on derby day ? Busy busy ? Whats the best time to launch at and how is the parking ? Is that launch free ? Thats all the silly questions for now  :-X Thanks guys

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 07:50:01 PM »

Requested the day off, can't wait to (hopefully) be there!

noxcape

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 12:26:10 AM »

how much is the tournament

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 07:34:04 AM »

$5 for adults $2 for kids to enter i belive

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 08:30:23 AM »

$5 for adults $2 for kids to enter i belive
Yes that is correct.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 08:35:01 AM »

Virgin cultus derby guy ?'s here . Whats the boat launch like on derby day ? Busy busy ? Whats the best time to launch at and how is the parking ? Is that launch free ? Thats all the silly questions for now  :-X Thanks guys
Not sure of the cost but this the info I got from BC Parks web page.

Boat Launch

There are double paved boat launching ramps located at Maple Bay and Jade Bay. Jade Bay boat launch is open year round. The Maple Bay boat launch is open during the peak season. There is parking available for boat trailers during the day only. Boats cannot be left in the water or beached overnight. There is no marina or moorage available in or within the park. Boaters are cautioned to remain well clear of buoy-marked swimming areas at all times. Water skiers and jet skiers can enjoy this lake. Cultus Lake is closed to open air exhaust motors. There are no vessels allowed on certain parts of the lake. There is a speed restriction of 5 km/h at the north end of the lake as buoyed and signed.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 08:50:50 AM »

I think I should enter this as I can't catch a fish anywhere else. :'(
"One man of courage makes a majority"

noxcape

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 02:01:43 AM »

hmmm might jsut have to come out and try this out should be a fun day and much different the bass fishing i do lol

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 09:24:44 AM »

Yes it is an excellent day with loads of prizes, concession at reasonable prices, a number of displays, a blue grass band for part of the day, guide boats to take young fishers out for an around a hour, games and face painting for the children. Also there should be lots of fish to catch. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 04:58:49 AM »

Bederko has put together this fish id guide for the derby.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/file/090608.pdf

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 08:45:07 AM »

Thanks Steve and Rod.  Any chance of adding a picture of Redside Shiners?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 03:23:25 PM »

I have the day off!!!!!!!
Lemme know if I can do anything to help set-up, or takedown at the end (would like to fish during derby).
Gonne be a great day!

I noticed that cutties are on the list, but what about rainbows, dollies, kokanee, whitefish and resident coho.
I know that those are not regular catches but neither is a cutty really.
Main concerns would be the sucker and chub I would think, I even mistook a few chubs last year.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 03:28:46 PM »

I have the day off!!!!!!!
Lemme know if I can do anything to help set-up, or takedown at the end (would like to fish during derby).
Gonne be a great day!

I noticed that cutties are on the list, but what about rainbows, dollies, kokanee, whitefish and resident coho.
I know that those are not regular catches but neither is a cutty really.
Main concerns would be the sucker and chub I would think, I even mistook a few chubs last year.
That's great, do you want me to bring the Leaf Craft #2 for you or are you bringing your own boat? Not sure if Owen is coming this year.

If you can help with the take down like last year, after the event that would be great, thanks loads.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 03:46:46 PM »

Ill have to talk to my step-dad, to see if I can bring up the truck and boat.
If not the leaf craft would be awesome as the girl friend wants 2 come fish as well.
I can stay and help with whatever you need, can't wait to see everyone there again.