Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shore fishing Cancun?  (Read 22889 times)

kodak

• RiftZoneAquatics
Shore fishing Cancun?
« on: April 12, 2009, 03:35:14 PM »

Im off to Cancun Tuesday to do some relaxing and some fishing, I'm taking an eight weight fly rod with a 8 wt kamloops wide arbor reel, proper warm salt floating line, braided leaders and a bunch of salt flies and poppers.. I am also taking two 10' ocean rods with an abu garcia baitcaster reel, a bunch of lures and steal leaders. I think Im covered as far as equipment goes.. I will be fishing from shore on both the ocean side and the lagoon side. Has anyone that's already been have any tips on spots? I will be staying close to the pirate ships and have been told by a guide that the bridge is a good if not great spot to fish. I have also been told early morning and evening/night is best. Any stories? Im very interested in hearing about your experiences.. Also I dont want to take a guided tour through the lagoon, does anyone know if you can rent a boat without a guide?

Thank you

kodak

• RiftZoneAquatics
Re: Shore fishing Cancun?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:56:29 AM »

Anyone......  ???

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »

I would listen to that guide...I doubt you'll get much advice here on it.  If I were to do it again I think i'd rent one of those little paddle boats from the resort and go out to where the reef breaks are, and try just inside and outside there.....keeping an eye on the current the whole time of course.

fishermanphil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 01:47:33 PM »

I was in Puerto Morelos during spring break and some locals were fishing off the public dock and were after grouper. The reef is very shallow there and we saw baracuda from the dock. Really laid back fishing town. Only heard of 1 sail being caught and it was only 50-65lbs depending which sales pitch u talked to and it was from a boat on the edge of the reef. We snorkeled on the reef and saw grouper over 50lbs. Take the #5??(ask to be sure) local bus from the hotel zone to Aldo bus station(29peso from Cancun-Pt. Morelos)-Get off at the Puerto Morelos stop and then catch the local bus into Puerto Morelos(5peso). Get off at the park in town and walk to the beach(1 block) where u will see the piers.

kodak

• RiftZoneAquatics
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 02:14:19 PM »

Sweet! Thanks for the info..

kodak

• RiftZoneAquatics
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »

I've been talking with a guide from Cancun named Rodman, he seems pretty good and I think we may take a 1 day guided fishing trip with him.. $350.00 us for 6 hrs..

He says as far as beach fishing goes, we are staying right in the middle of the best location..

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »

Never been that far up the coast, but here are my suggestions...

The easy:
Take a mask, and find some Jack crevall near a rock wall or pier... then chum the water with shrimp to get a feeding frenzy and throw a similar looking fly through there.  Those things are hard fighting fish and they seem to be everywhere I looked on that coast. Some were huge and they are not too shy. 

The crazy:
I fished near tulum and my do-it-yourself experience fishing in mexico was a bit different.  I went to a lagoon about 100 miles south of where you will be (Boca Paila in a national park of some kind - which is beautiful by the way), and fished for smaller bone fish just before sunset.  i could tell you the location if you are interested, but keep in mind wading with aligators, LOTSA mosquitos, and we got hasseled by the "park police" and had to give him 10$ to piss off.  But it was beautiful in there...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=tulum+mexico&sll=22.146708,-96.679687&sspn=10.691938,19.6875&ie=UTF8&ll=20.007528,-87.480826&spn=0.005303,0.009613&t=h&z=17&iwloc=A

The less crazy, but not so easy:
The bridge you see has trails leading in many different directions and you can see big barracuda chasing smaller fish all over the place, so a well placed fly with a steel leader might get you a nice photo.

The ruins in tulum are very, very nice as well, but a bit busy.  If I recall correctly, sundays are free days at those sites so they are by far the busiest.  If you haven't been to mexico before, I suggest buying your sovenier tequilla at the grocery store, it will save you a lot of money.  Also the hamocks and mayan hats are always over priced in the big cities, but thats just part of the fun I guess.  Be careful with taxis if you decide to explore the surrounding, as I found it a bit unerving to go 160km/hr with no seatbelt.  ;D

Good luck and have a good time.

PS, SPF 50 and don't forget the tops of your feet.  :D

kodak

• RiftZoneAquatics
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »

Thanks for all the info, thats great!!! I'll make sure to get the tops of my feet!
 I have been to mexico a few times, but never the caribbean side.. 1st time   ;D

kodak

• RiftZoneAquatics
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 12:42:31 PM »

The GF and I just got back from a beautiful week in Cancun and the fishing was great! We stayed at the Barcelo Costa Cancun on the Bay side.. I didn't fish as much as I would have liked to because there was so much to see! We did book a guided fishing trip through the Lagoon and it was an awesome experience! Our guides name was Rodman Hunter and he runs Fly Fishing Cancun, he's an american born guide in Cancun and Honduras with over 25 years experience. I highly recommend booking with him if your looking for an awesome time with no language barrier. Perfect english!!!! His tips to fishing the lagoon were great, the boat was 10 years old and still looked like new, all of the gear was in perfect condition and ready to fish. I took my own rod and flies and all the fish I caught were caught on this set up!!! The Tarpon was about 3-5 lbs, the other fish in the pics are Snapper. We saw a few Rays and Crocs while fishing the Lagoon. Rodman also took us to the senoras, fresh water springs that feed the Lagoon... these 5-7 foot wide holes coming out of the earth are almost spooky, he said you can swim in through one side and come out another.. no thanks! but neat to see..  Enjoy the pics!
http://www.cancunlighttackle.com/index.asp

My girlfriend caught these two Snapper.. 

The sun was scortching!!! so you had to cover up well on the water..

http://www.cancunlighttackle.com/index.asp check out his web site!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 01:36:31 PM by kodak »

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 02:32:36 PM »

Nice photos! Looks like a great trip.  ;D

kodak

• RiftZoneAquatics
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 02:46:44 PM »

Thank you
It was an awesome trip!!!  I highly recommend Rodman if taking a fishing trip to Cancun..

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 05:11:57 PM »

8) 8) 8)!

kodak

• RiftZoneAquatics
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 06:02:21 PM »

8) 8) 8)

charles

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 07:29:09 PM »

Nice fishing Clayton...  Glad you have fun.  Just notice you are here too :)

We should do some salmon fishing this fall...

kodak

• RiftZoneAquatics
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 08:20:53 PM »

That sounds good Charles  8)