Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attacking Alex  (Read 4143 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Attacking Alex
« on: November 22, 2012, 03:32:27 PM »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Attacking Alex
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »

http://aquatichealth.net/node/65324

I thought this was hilarious......  "East Coast farms already had to deal with ISA in their stocks this year. It would be easy for Morton to get infected samples, bring them back here to BC and do something with them that would vindicate her conspiracy theories and prophecies..........  "

Don't they realize that their ISA infected product was/is being shipped to stores all around the continent where anyone could potentially do exactly what they are accusing one single lady of doing??  
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 05:03:13 PM »

Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 06:23:23 PM »

I thought this was hilarious......  "East Coast farms already had to deal with ISA in their stocks this year. It would be easy for Morton to get infected samples, bring them back here to BC and do something with them that would vindicate her conspiracy theories and prophecies..........  "

Don't they realize that their ISA infected product was/is being shipped to stores all around the continent where anyone could potentially do exactly what they are accusing one single lady of doing??  
I didn't read that anyone had actually accused Ms. Morton or her followers of anything criminal ...I believe they were suggesting this could happen as (annecdotally) people have placed dead sockeye in net pens containing Atlantic's. 
 I have read on other forums a few concerned citizens have suggested eco terrorism, and perhaps worse, as a means to futher their agendas of eradicating salmon farms in BC.
Not all people who speak on this issue are as civilized as we FWR posters af ;D   Aqua, absolon and I can verify that ...

And, just curious here as I honestly don't know, what BC stores import fresh East coast Atlantic salmon?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »

And, just curious here as I honestly don't know, what BC stores import fresh East coast Atlantic salmon?

I thought you were the insider Dave, maybe you could find the answer to that. 

Obviously the point is that it's silly to suggest that Morton would be doing any sort of eco terrorisim or worse with ISA infected east coast salmon when it is likely that the ISA infected salmon have been sold all over the continent and even the grocery stores could be involuntarily spreading the disease.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »

I thought you were the insider Dave, maybe you could find the answer to that. 

No, that's your responsibility af, because your theory, which I understand is harvested Eastern Atlantics have already been imported to BC, therefor their potential diseases are already here so nothing could be proven if eco-terrorism did happen, to make sense and be viable, means these fish have to be imported fresh, not previously frozen.  Then a whole lot of favourable things for disease proliferation have to occur before these imported fish are exposed to net penned Atlantic's ...not things like washing this imported salmon in your kitchen sink, or disposing the waste like it was radioactive , or whatever Ms. Morton warned about in one of her recent rants ???
Perhaps they are imported fresh and on ice and infected with whatever is the flavour of the week.    Who sells them?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 09:28:08 PM »

You're losing focus here Dave......  Whether the feedlots are selling the infected salmon to Washington State or BC or wherever on the continent, wouldn't that offer an opportunity for the virus to be spread in the same way that they are suggesting Morton may be spreading it?   

I realize the authors of the article are likely an embarrassment to the feedlot industry, so you gotta admit their conspiracy theory is ridiculous.......

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:48:42 PM »

I think it is a bit ridiculous as well but it is totally tactically identical to the style of attacks morton has been doing for years against the salmon farming companies. 

A little taste of her own medicine I would say.

Its hilarious actually because its got that staniford veil of protection from freedom speech thing, and the fear factor that morton always powers her predictions with.  Yikes :o

Funny the double standards that come up  in this discussion from the anti's from an item like this.

There is an measurement of risk here so it has to be plausible and should be considered as highly possible or the most likely scenario.  Isn't that the activist motto?

LOL  IMO
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 07:35:20 AM »

I get an access denied message when trying to look at the site. Must be worried about lawsuit for slander or something.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 10:06:14 AM »

Here's the text:

Article Content

People like Morton know the easiest way to manipulate people is through fear of the unknown. But is she willing to make her own prophecies come true, and at what cost?

Is Alexandra Morton bringing the ISA virus back to BC in an egomaniacal attempt to make her own prophecies come true?

News has trickled back to us from the East Coast of Canada, where Alexandra Morton has been presenting a travelling storytime about the evils of salmon farming.

In a hodge-podge of half-truths, selective information and newspaper clippings, with a liberal dose of boogety-boogety boo, she tells a story of how the evil salmon farmers are covering up disease, want to kill wild salmon to increase their bottom line and are working hand-in-hand with a government that's as corrupt as a banana republic.

It's nothing we haven't heard before, and anyone interested in examining her claims will quickly see that they fall apart like a house of cards once you start tugging. If any of our readers want us to do so, we'd be happy to in the comments section of the post. Feel free to read through her presentation and ask us any specific question about it you like.

But what we are most concerned about is suggestions we heard that she was driving around with samples of Atlantic salmon in her vehicle.

ISA virus is endemic in salmon on the East Coast of Canada. It's as natural there as IHN is here. It's in the wild, and rarely causes problems for the wild fish, but can be devastating to farmed fish.

East Coast farms already had to deal with ISA in their stocks this year. It would be easy for Morton to get infected samples, bring them back here to BC and do something with them that would vindicate her conspiracy theories and prophecies of viral destruction she has been making for the past several years.

From what we've seen, this wouldn't surprise us at all. She has shown herself unwilling to admit she is wrong, or that any of her theories might be wrong. She wants so badly for ISA to be in BC so she can say she was right, and that evil salmon farms have brought on the apocalypse.

Socially Awkward Penguin and the self-fulfilling prophecy

Yes, this is a conspiracy theory. But it's a lot more likely than the nonsense in her presentation. There are many scientists who gone on deluded quests because they could not shake their confirmation bias. Some of these quests have damaged lives and deluded thousands of people as these scientists refused to admit they were wrong, no matter the evidence proving them wrong.

Morton is no different. She really believes in what she says. But she is too full of herself to consider any alternatives to the stories she tells to make sense of her world.

And while they are entertaining stories with a scary hook that motivate people, they are based on half-truths and assumptions that don't hold water, once tested.

But sadly, scientific facts can't hold a candle to a good story. Hopefully people listening to her don't check their brains at the door, and question every one of her claims.

Because every one of them is dubious.

Comments

Attack on Alex Morton
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 22 Nov 2012.

Whoever wrote this article does not live on the coast and sounds like someone financed by a Fish Farm Company.
This article completely ignores the research being done on diseased salmons on both the East and West Coasts of Canada.
In one breath the article says that there's no such thing as a salmon disease outbreak issue and then in the next blames Alex Morton for transfering the dangerous viruses. Someone has not been doing thier research, but it is not Alex Morton!

what a dispicable article.
Submitted by Brian McKinlay (not verified) on 22 Nov 2012.

what a dispicable article. Whomever wrote and posted this is about as cowardly and ignorant as humanly possible. Alexandra's work is supported by the scientific community at large including many universities. I doubt if the majority of the scientific community 'checked their brains at the door'. She repeatedly is under attack on a personal level by corrupt salmon farm spin doctors who are the type of people with no class or morality and are more than happy to sink to the bottom of the gene pool for a paycheck. Grow up.