Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Point Roberts kayak trip  (Read 1769 times)

Voyager

Point Roberts kayak trip
« on: August 10, 2014, 09:41:51 PM »

Took my Hobie kayak out from Light House park on the point today, tried trolling with downrigger and casting with Buzz bomb no bites! Saw fish on ff but deep 180ft. Didn't see any other boats catch anything. Any body else fish there any recommendations.

VA7DDP

Re: Point Roberts kayak trip
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 11:38:17 PM »

What's your trolling speed? I'd suggest trying 2.7 to 3 knots when using the downrigger, as If your too slow your flasher will not produce the proper action.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »

What's your trolling speed? I'd suggest trying 2.7 to 3 knots when using the downrigger, as If your too slow your flasher will not produce the proper action.

Orcas were playing by the point off lighthouse park. july/aug is the big playtime for them. they sort of scare away a lot of fishy things lol. Saw about 12 of them yesterday while i was out kayaking....

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:44:32 AM by dennisK »

Voyager

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »

Heading out again Thursday morning, weather and whales permitting, should be decent fishing around there and closer for me than a lot of places.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 05:54:02 PM »

used to fish there some in the way back when. The rips that form off the northern ( Or west) tip of the pointing towards Active pass was always the hot spot though fish could be taken anywhere in that general area.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.