Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pinks the salmon of the future?  (Read 1801 times)

Verdi

hur1214

Re: Pinks the salmon of the future?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 01:40:49 AM »

thanks for sharing!!  ;D

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:40:06 PM »

Funny how is it that the least desirable salmon (pinks and dogs) are in strong numbers and the prized chinook,coho and sockeye are in short supply. I grew up fishing coho on the fraser long before thier was a pink or dog fishery. Huge schools of coho would come in on every tide change into the fraser during the fall months making for some spectacular fishing opportunities. The big run that came into the Stamp last fall holds out hope for the future of this once great fishery. Now thats something to get excited about.

jimmywits

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 08:44:31 PM »

Funny how is it that the least desirable salmon (pinks and dogs) are in strong numbers and the prized chinook,coho and sockeye are in short supply. I grew up fishing coho on the fraser long before thier was a pink or dog fishery. Huge schools of coho would come in on every tide change into the fraser during the fall months making for some spectacular fishing opportunities. The big run that came into the Stamp last fall holds out hope for the future of this once great fishery. Now thats something to get excited about.
Times have changed, I can remember when you did not even need a net to get smelt at Dundarave pier in the 70's, if a big wave came in late in the evening in the summer, the smelt would be left up on the sand flipping and flopping and you could gather them up by hand. Smelt were unbelievably tasty and many feasts were had right on the beach! I hope those big schools of coho return, and those memories can be relived.  tight lines

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 04:36:25 AM »

Interesting stuff. I was not aware of a smelt fishery. I do remember lining up as a kid with my dad to get a bucket of herring off the boats during the cknw orphans fund sale.Going home and frying them up and feasting and then pickling the rest and eating them through out the rest of the yr. Its great the pinks come in such strong numbers and provide a fishery for the masses but its one i dont partake in with the memories of my youth forever etched into my brain of what once was. Cheers