Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Don Campbell  (Read 1568 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Don Campbell
« on: September 27, 2021, 02:06:46 PM »

The BC fishing community has lost an icon. It is with great regret I inform everyone the recent passing of Don Campbell, the maker of Campbell Centerpin Reels. Don was a very talented craftsman and always had new ideas whenever I talked to him. In recent years he had been a favourite at my event Chilliwack's All About Fishing and had many new ideas for it until the COVID pandemic hit. His legacy will continue as his fine reels will still be seen at rivers across BC and beyond. It was a pleasure to have known you Don and I'm sorry that we never got around to that outing at Kawkawa Lake like we had talked about for so many years.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Don Campbell
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 02:26:00 PM »

A great craftsman and an even better man. He was indeed an icon.

fisherforever

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 02:30:29 PM »

Very sorry to hear that he has passed, my condolences to his family. I remember seeing his reels when he first started making them and watched over the years as he improved them every year and seeing how they have become very desirable. You will be missed Don.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 04:19:01 PM »

Very sorry to hear of Don's passing. I enjoyed exchanging pleasantries with him the few times we met in person.
RIP Don.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 04:41:26 PM »

Sorry to hear this. My condolences to Dons family.

cabro

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 05:24:27 PM »

I remember hearing that Don was going to be at the fishing swap meet a couple years ago and he would be bringing some of his coveted CP reels so I headed out to try and get one. When the doors opened his table was immediately swamped with people trying to get reels. I decided that I didn't want to be part of the frenzy so I held back and waited for the people to clear out and things to settle down.

Once things cleared out I went back to his table and it had been picked clean. I asked him if there was any way for me to get a reel from him at some point. He handed me a pad of paper as asked me to write down when I wanted (colour and what hand) and my name and phone number and then he handed me his business card and then said the following. "When your reel is ready I will give you a call. I make them when I feel like so I don't have an exact ETA. DO NOT call me and ask me when it will be ready, if you do, you won't be getting one. ;D

I followed his instructions and never contacted him and a couple weeks later he called me and said the reel was ready. I headed out to his place to pick it up and when I got there he gave me a tour of his shop and then invited me in for a coffee and a chat. I had a great visit with him and his cats; he's a fantastic storyteller, filled with knowledge and quite a character.

I'm glad I was able to spent some time with him before his passing, he will be greatly missed.  :'(

Dryfly22

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 09:48:49 PM »

I also had the chance to meet with Don a number of times and visited his place and see his shop.  What an awesome guy he was and what a talent he had.  Will miss him for sure.