Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do any of you make music?  (Read 2620 times)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
Do any of you make music?
« on: July 19, 2004, 08:27:47 PM »

I know it isn't fishing, but...maybe I can keep this on-topic by saying I'm not gigging for fish here, I'm fishing for a gig.

When I went up your way recently, things were so crowded in the back of the truck with camping and fishing gear and a couple of inflateable gizmos, that at the last minute I convinced myself, "aw, nobody up there I'll meet is going to make music," so I left my washtub bass at  home.  And, sure enough, while I was in Vancouver just about everyone I met plays one thing or another.  So I left with some promises that if I get back up there they will let me jam with them.  So now I'm gonna do it.

But eveyone I met is amplified.  I have a way of ampifying my tub (mike to preamp to subwoofer), and I kinda like that, but what I am most used to is playing acoustic music:  bluegrass, blues, country, a little rock and roll, hick and hillbilly music.  Banjo, mandolin, guitars (I sure wish we could find a fiddle player), like that.

So if any of you make that kind of music and you would be willing to let me jam with you, I'd sure like to do it.  I expect to be in Vancouver from the 23rd through the 27th of this month (July).

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
Re:Do any of you make music?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 09:16:36 PM »

Hi Doc,
I have a bunch of Zappa LPs, but haven't listened to them for a long time (all-time favorite cut:  Movin' to Montana soon--gonna be a dental floss tycoon . . .).  I saw him live at Mac Court (U of Oregon) a few years before he died.  It wasn't what I had expected.  It was very scripted, to the point that when some guy ran in front of the stage and threw a piece of clothing up there Frank stopped the music, chewed the guy out ("We're working up here; that kind of stuff is NOT cool"), dropped back a couple of bars, went a-one and a-two, and started off again exactly as before.

Flycastin

Re:Do any of you make music?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 03:51:21 AM »

I can put my hand in my armpit and make the "Hawaii 5-0" soundtrack.  Does that count?

I may need some practice time, but im sure to wow the crowds at the next wedding we can book. Call me.  ;)