Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will this rod be ok??

- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Question for the Vedder...  (Read 4845 times)

tsuribaka

• I'm a llama!
Question for the Vedder...
« on: July 15, 2004, 07:04:26 PM »

My dad will be in town this weekend, and he was interested in going to the Vedder for some salmon action.  I just want to know if anyone thinks his rod will be ok.  Its a 7 foot (something), UglyStik and is rated at 15 Lbs on the side.  He usually uses it for trout in the Kootenays, but just wondering if it is too small for the salmon in the Vedder?  Also, if it is ok to use, what line would you suggest him to use??  If its only rated for 15lb line, is it possible to move up to say 20lbs?  Or I was also thinking he might use something like braided line, as I have heard it is much stronger than it is rated.  Any thoughts??    Hopefully see you out there on the weekend.. (but hopefully not too many of ya!!)
Thanks. ;)

tsuribaka

• I'm a llama!
Re:Question for the Vedder...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 07:06:47 PM »

Sorry about that, I didnt realize that I made it into a pole...  Dont worry about the pole, just info for the question would be appreciated.  Thanks again  :P

Alex015

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 07:28:51 PM »

hey tsuribaka, braided line is definitely nto needed for the vedder, 15lb line will be fine, you will just have to play the fish, i think a lot of people use 20 but i prefer 15 - 17... the rod may be a bit short tho, but you may be able to get away with it cus my dad used to use a 8' spinning rod... most peoople use a 10'6 or longer drift rod, i finally got him to switch over to a baitcast set up but now he is bird nesting like a mad man.  well i hope this helped, im sure some otehrs will have some better input.

alex

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 07:39:26 PM »

I personally think that a 7' rod is a little light for the Chilliwack. However I will qualify that statement by saying that I'm not familiar with the Ugly Stick. I use braided line, however I would not recommend you go out and load up on Fireline, Tuff XP  because it's very expensive. I agree with Alex that 15-17 monofilament line would suffice providing your dad knows how to fight the fish.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 09:24:23 PM »

i agree with fulcram  a longer rod for drift fishin is the key
as when held at the right angle it helps to keep your line out of the water
and directley from your rod tip to the float with no slack line in the water causeing it to slide, swearve, or track in the wrong direction
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 10:56:29 PM »

Like those before me have said, a short rod will make it hard to drift properly.  Also, the longer rod will give you more "flex" so that you don't need to spool on the higher line test.  Wouldn't suggest using a line higher than rated on the rod though, as manufacturers won't honor warranties for rods that have been broken due to improper use.
President Club S. C. & P.

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 03:00:50 AM »

I wouldn't try my luck with that rod when big springs are around - for pinks, coho or smaller chums OK. I have seen it, and I think it could give up if you get a big fish and put a 17 pound line. Stay in arears.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 08:54:03 AM »

Take your dad fishing regardless of his set up.  :)  It's too short, but have fun anyway.  Time on the river is what it's all about.  Have a good one :D

tsuribaka

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 02:50:43 PM »

Thanks for the imput guys.  Much appreciated.  Well, I think I am gonna drag him out anyway (I think he will go willingly hehehe), just for the fun of it.  He is pretty experienced, so I think if he hooks something, it will be ok, if not just fun.  But I will have to see what he thinks.  Thanks agian.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 05:05:09 PM »

Time spent between son and dad is a good thing. (with all due respect to Martha Stewart )

otto

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 10:17:21 PM »

Time spent between son and dad is a good thing. (with all due respect to Martha Stewart )

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  ;D ;D ;D

otto

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 10:19:15 PM »

i agree with fulcram  a longer rod for drift fishin is the key
as when held at the right angle it helps to keep your line out of the water
and directley from your rod tip to the float with no slack line in the water causeing it to slide, swearve, or track in the wrong direction
cnm

use a 9 meter fishing pole, tied with 25 lb test braid, dinkie float, pencil lead and a hook with eggsak.