Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ray McPherson rods  (Read 1787 times)

santefe

Ray McPherson rods
« on: April 10, 2022, 08:35:17 PM »

I've been given a Ron McPherson 8' mooching style rod.  Anyone have any experience with them?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Ray McPherson rods
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 03:50:01 PM »

If you google Rod Mcpherson rodmaker or Custom Rods you will get some info. It looks like he was based in the interior and made rods for 10 to 15 years. Those brown blanks may have been made by Kennedy Fisher which after making survival fishing packs for servicemen during WW2, did well in the post WW2 fishing boom. Back in the 80s their glass and graphite rods & blanks were popular plus they made rods for many of the big names like Orvis, Hardy and Scott. K-F left the industry to concentrate on golf products (club shafts) and wrapped up the business 10 to 15 years ago. Good info available about them via google as well.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

santefe

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 04:32:37 PM »

Thanks Ralph, will do.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 10:11:12 PM »

Yep. My dad gave me his Ray McPherson custom fly rod about 22 years ago. It's a beautifully made, 2 piece, 8'6" graphite rod, 6 - 7 wt. I'd estimate that this rod was made in the early 1980's. It does have a bit of a slower action, but casts nicely. It's got my dad's name on it, with the rod maker (Ray) from Kamloops, BC.

reeler

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 04:51:06 PM »

I moved to Kamloops in 1981 and bought a Ray McPherson 9-wt. It is tough. Many huge Harrison River chum have tried in vain to break it, but it lives on. I put a new handle on it last year. I always thought the handle was too short.
Charles and Diana came to town in 1986 and were presented with a rod each.
I hope he asked for both when they split. :-[