Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Day fees in place at Chehalis and Weaver Lake Recreation sites  (Read 2366 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

A $10 visitor fee is now in place at the Chehalis River (Morris Valley Road) and Weaver Lake Recreation sites. One report indicated the fee was imposed for just walking through the Chehalis campsite to access and fish the river. The fee structure at Weaver Lake sets a 4 hours limit for visitors. Vehicles parked within the sites and not registered with contractor may be towed. While the campsites are operated by a contractor, the property is Crown Land and both sites are listed as Recreation Sites on government websites.

see the notice here: https://westharrisonreservations.com/helpie_faq/visitors-day-use/

the government website indicates the only applicable fee is for camping: http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/search-result.aspx?type=Site&site=REC0065
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

Re: Day fees in place at Chehalis and Weaver Lake Recreation sites
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 11:40:39 AM »

A $10 visitor fee is now in place at the Chehalis River (Morris Valley Road) and Weaver Lake Recreation sites. One report indicated the fee was imposed for just walking through the Chehalis campsite to access and fish the river. The fee structure at Weaver Lake sets a 4 hours limit for visitors. Vehicles parked within the sites and not registered with contractor may be towed. While the campsites are operated by a contractor, the property is Crown Land and both sites are listed as Recreation Sites on government websites.

see the notice here: https://westharrisonreservations.com/helpie_faq/visitors-day-use/

the government website indicates the only applicable fee is for camping: http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/search-result.aspx?type=Site&site=REC0065

Does this mean the contractor is illegaly charging 10$?
thanks for the headsup though, I was maybe planning on 1 or 2 day at chehalis this fall.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 01:11:23 PM »

That’s not going to fly with fisherman,  I built that trail ( fisherman trail) for access to all fisherman to avoid confrontation with fisherman crisscrossing native land !  The way I see it just walk down the rivers edge and tell these idiots to shove it up their my friend ! They have already taken over the parking space dedicated for fisherman so it’s time for this to get settled asap

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 01:42:54 PM »

That’s not going to fly with fisherman,  I built that trail ( fisherman trail) for access to all fisherman to avoid confrontation with fisherman crisscrossing native land !  The way I see it just walk down the rivers edge and tell these idiots to shove it up their my friend ! They have already taken over the parking space dedicated for fisherman so it’s time for this to get settled asap
I agree cammer
How do you inforce something like that anyway. Are they going to run around checking everyone with a rod in hand . Good luck on that . Guys going up the canyon at 4am , are they going to put in a toll booth lol . It’s absolutely ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as mowing down the forest at the eastern side of the campground and cramming in more sites.
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 08:03:53 AM »

I’d be interested to learn more about the reported fee for walking through the campsite before I get to bent out of shape. Seems a bit odd, and doesn’t appear to be consistent with the park operator’s website

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 09:26:00 AM »

From what I'm reading it applies to vehicles in the campground visiting campsites. Might also apply to day use parking at the entrance. Parking on morris valley road and walking through should not be an issue. If you haven't  been there for a while there have been improvements made to the trail with band grant money. Bridges, boardwalks, three foot wide gravel path ,trees cut down....make it more accessible  and charge for access. Just like other rec areas buntzen sasamat etc. Just too many people in the lower mainland.
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 11:23:22 AM »

this was was what was reported (verbatim) on a couple of Facebook Groups:

Just a heads up. If you walk thru the Chehalis River campground to fish the Chehalis they are now charging a $10 visitor fee.

I also found an FAQ which may clear up some issues:

https://westharrisonreservations.com/helpie_faq/visitors-day-use/

« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 12:25:39 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

roeman

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 09:19:41 PM »

If you haven't  been there for a while there have been improvements made to the trail with band grant money. Bridges, boardwalks, three foot wide gravel path ,trees cut down....make it more accessible  and charge for access. Just like other rec areas buntzen sasamat etc. Just too many people in the lower mainland.

If you call the trail that was built an improvement than they should just pave the whole f'ing river bank...So wheel chairs and people in their 80's can get there with their walkers....  There is no need to make every river accessible to everyone.  When I get told by someone walking thru the bush with their Tim Hortons cups to put my dog on a leash then those new bridges will be in cut into pieces.  Whats going to happen in the fall when a couple of bears come down to the spawing channel section to fatten up for the winter feeding on salmon... And scares some little kid with their stupid rat sized dog.... It will be on the news and then the bear will have to be shot...
Its disgusting what has happened to the river bank... Hopefully there is another atmospheric river this fall and blow out the campground and the trail system....
Are you fishin or catchin

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 10:34:18 AM »

If you call the trail that was built an improvement than they should just pave the whole f'ing river bank...So wheel chairs and people in their 80's can get there with their walkers....  There is no need to make every river accessible to everyone.  When I get told by someone walking thru the bush with their Tim Hortons cups to put my dog on a leash then those new bridges will be in cut into pieces.  Whats going to happen in the fall when a couple of bears come down to the spawing channel section to fatten up for the winter feeding on salmon... And scares some little kid with their stupid rat sized dog.... It will be on the news and then the bear will have to be shot...
Its disgusting what has happened to the river bank... Hopefully there is another atmospheric river this fall and blow out the campground and the trail system....

Are you doing okay? :-\

roeman

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 05:15:29 PM »

Are you doing okay? :-\
Thats an intelligent comment... 
Are you fishin or catchin

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 07:42:50 PM »

Looking at the "Visitors/Day Use Fee FAQ" link Ralph posted, I would interpret it as the $10 daily visitor fee applies to those parking there and taking up a site for the day (until 10pm) or visiting someone at a site. Parking off site and walking through should remain free. Does anyone have any actual first hand experience parking outside of the campsite and the camp host trying to charge a visitor fee for walking through?

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 11:01:36 PM »

As we at BCFDF built the trail initially ,we have inquired with the band who is behind this and it’s implications ,   Stay tuned

Aki

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2023, 12:15:33 PM »

I was there in early June; parked in the fishers parking lot by the road and walked in. Talked to the camp hosts and no issues, and no request for any fees. The improvements to the 'fishers' trail are very extensive with more work planned for next year according to the camp hosts. No fish seen!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2023, 09:34:40 AM »

I was there in early June; parked in the fishers parking lot by the road and walked in. Talked to the camp hosts and no issues, and no request for any fees. The improvements to the 'fishers' trail are very extensive with more work planned for next year according to the camp hosts. No fish seen!

supposedly per the notice the day fee came into effect on June 28th. I haven't fished that area in 10 years or more so it really doesn't effect me.