Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to cure single eggs so they won't be punctured by hook?  (Read 1852 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Most people use single eggs for roe bag. How about putting the hook right through a single egg without it bursting like a balloon? Seems like my salt-sugar-borex cured eggs just burst and the egg content lost. I was told it is possible to use a cure product mixed with raw uncooked single eggs can harden the eggs and I have seen the guy's eggs. They look like they have been soaked and coloured by the procure looking product,  and yes the eggs don't burst when the hook punctured them. The guy said he made the cured eggs himself, but he didn't want to disclose what commercial curing product that he used to solidify the content inside the eggs. Any idea what possible curing product it may be? Thanks.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: How to cure single eggs so they won't be punctured by hook?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 08:14:19 AM »

single eggs use to be really popular bait for trout. Boiling them, dying them & storing in jars with glycerin was the method I recall. Boiling needs to be brief so they remain soft.

this is the one I remember using:

Single Egg Cure: The Single Egg Cure produces single eggs that are firm enough to place on a hook. Boil water with 3 tablespoons of canning salt. Dip salmon or trout eggs into the boiling water for 5-15 seconds using a strainer. The object is to get a rubbery texture in the egg. It take some pratice so do not do your entire batch at once. Air dry the eggs on paper towels. Then freeze in plastic bags.

Curing in boric acid was another method.

Try doing a search here or via google. ie:

https://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=32034.0
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 08:25:11 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 01:41:07 PM »

The guy said he made the cured eggs himself, but he didn't want to disclose what commercial curing product that he used to solidify the content inside the eggs.

What a tiresome attitude ::) I mean, if he made the stuff himself then fair enough, but not wanting to tell someone which product you grabbed off the shelf? So petty!

Not sure if you're determined to DIY it, but the jars of Barry's cured super eggs usually work well for single egg presentations. The hardness of the eggs can vary batch to batch (or sometimes egg to egg) but they're usually fine to put on a hook without the eggs bursting.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 06:04:42 PM »

Pauztk single egg is through a cooking process. otherwise, it will burst.

I'd say soak the soft bead in roe juice as long as it is not rot

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 12:11:46 AM »

That is what I thought,  by cooking the eggs to firm up the juicy content inside the egg. But this guy insisted that he didn't cook the eggs, just mix the cure plus the eggs for a night and bingo, solid eggs. Lol. That is why I put this out to see if anyone has done or seen similar thing.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 09:00:07 AM »

you should drop into your favorite tackle shop and ask them about it.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Roderick

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 06:21:41 PM »

There is probably a way of doing it with acids like citric or maybe acetic, kind of like ceviche.  But I've never done it.  Maybe try dropping a few singles in lime juice and see what happens?
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 07:19:51 PM »

There is probably a way of doing it with acids like citric or maybe acetic, kind of like ceviche. [...]  Maybe try dropping a few singles in lime juice and see what happens?

Sounds delicious! I'll come by for dinner tomorrow.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 07:20:12 PM »

:-X
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 07:32:36 AM by dennisK »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 10:10:45 PM »

There is probably a way of doing it with acids like citric or maybe acetic, kind of like ceviche.  But I've never done it.  Maybe try dropping a few singles in lime juice and see what happens?
...like making Ceviche?

Roderick

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2023, 11:54:38 AM »

Sounds delicious! I'll come by for dinner tomorrow.

;D
You shoulda been here yesterday.

standalone

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2023, 02:21:57 PM »

That thing called hard beads.