Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: National Boycott Of Open Pen Feedlot Salmon Rally in Chilliwack  (Read 48960 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: National Boycott Of Open Pen Feedlot Salmon Rally in Chilliwack
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »

And then pick the stock to harvest, Good luck on that.

I am sure Dr. Morton can lead me in the right direction the same as Dr. Ballard did. Feed your pets the best.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2013, 07:31:55 AM »

This thread has gone to the dogs. ::) I wonder what kind of salmon Morton feeds her dog? ::)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »

I have boycotted feedlot salmon long ago. Never want to take a bite of the drugged & toxin-laden fish after tasting our hatchery raised ocean fresh salmon.  ;) Hey, but why they did the rally on Wednesday. If they had done it on weekend, I would definitely go there rally to protect the precious wild salmon.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »

Happy to read Jennifer F gave Grant Warkentin some space to show the other side of this issue.   Good reporting imo.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2013, 09:40:19 PM »

Happy to read Jennifer F gave Grant Warkentin some space to show the other side of this issue.   Good reporting imo.
Oh and I thought you would comment on my quote. ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 07:13:58 AM »

" Our farming practices are based on the best available science, and our evolution over the past 30 years shows just how far we've come."

That was when the cornflakes came spewing out of my mouth while reading the article.

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »

I'm not sure what your business experience is.....  

Isn't it the responsibility of the feedlot business to find an economically and environmentally viable method of farming salmon? Suggesting that Morton should raise private funds to help the feedlot industry do that would be like suggesting Chris spend his time and efforts developing ways to remove gravel from the Fraser River. While business would appreciate the help so they could pocket the profits, it's just not how business works.

While government is investing heavily to help the feedlots, they have abandoned their primary responsibility which is to protect wild salmon. Fortunately for the wild salmon, Morton has stepped up to help them.

you're kidding right? since when did the government give a crap about anything? they're just another interest group looking out for themselves....it's called the law of supply and demand, as long as there's a need/want...there will always be the source until the supply runs out.

as mentioned before, it's the responsibility of each individual to be accountable...the problem i have is most of the anti farming protestors i've encountered are the biggest hypocrites....i didn't see anyone of them boycott the commies when they over harvested the sockeye back in 2010...i have yet to witness any of them protest against first nation's lack of enforcement with the 'back of the truck' sales of salmon intended for traditional food....and unless Alexandra Morton is a vegan who only eats organically grown produce and use non commercialized products then she's the biggest hypocrite of them all.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 05:45:40 PM »

as mentioned before, it's the responsibility of each individual to be accountable...the problem i have is most of the anti farming protestors i've encountered are the biggest hypocrites....i didn't see anyone of them boycott the commies when they over harvested the sockeye back in 2010...i have yet to witness any of them protest against first nation's lack of enforcement with the 'back of the truck' sales of salmon intended for traditional food....and unless Alexandra Morton is a vegan who only eats organically grown produce and use non commercialized products then she's the biggest hypocrite of them all.

You sound like one of the feedlot boys..... rather than trying to support their position that the feedlots supposedly don't harm the wild salmon you resort to these scatter gun jabs.....

We rely on DFO to manage the salmon fisheries and as a result we assume that they are not allowing over harvest. Do you have some stats to support your position that they are allowing over harvest?

I am sure if you are willing to start a protest against first nations abuse of their traditional rights, you will have many supporters.... 

Finally your comment about Morton makes absolutely no sense. Not sure what point you are trying to make with that comment....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

dnibbles

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 09:57:36 PM »

You sound like one of the feedlot boys..... rather than trying to support their position that the feedlots supposedly don't harm the wild salmon you resort to these scatter gun jabs.....

We rely on DFO to manage the salmon fisheries and as a result we assume that they are not allowing over harvest. Do you have some stats to support your position that they are allowing over harvest?

Bwahahahahaha!!!!!!! You're killin' me here! You have such faith when it comes to DFO's harvest management practices when it comes time to support your position, yet that seems to evaporate when it comes to aquaculture management.

I have this sneaking suspicion that you may not believe stats presented to support the claim of harvest mismanagement......

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 11:05:42 PM »

I am sure if you are willing to start a protest against first nations abuse of their traditional rights, you will have many supporters.... 

Finally your comment about Morton makes absolutely no sense. Not sure what point you are trying to make with that comment....

don't tell me you weren't around back in the summer of 2010...it was all over the news about the banner run that allowed the commies to catch so much fish that the plants and cold storage facilities were bursting at the seems.  tonnes of sockeye were rotting because they couldn't be processed fast enough... it got so bad their prices dropped to pennies on the dollar, yet fortunes were made due to the vast quantity of fish being harvested.

i live in Richmond and i personally witnessed the carnage...if you look back in this forum's history you'll see that a debate arose from this event.

i don't have a problem with first nations as a whole, but at times i question their agendas when it comes to the environment and their political stance, especially when it effects issues regarding entitlement.

as far as Alexandra Morton...she's nothing more than a environmental alchemist who's research is based on conjecture and probabilities rather than proven scientific facts yet she uses her findings to isolate the worse case scenarios and publicizes them in the form of scare tactics.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2013, 07:11:53 AM »

I have this sneaking suspicion that you may not believe stats presented to support the claim of harvest mismanagement......

Why don't you put some numbers up or a link at least.... 
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2013, 07:24:45 AM »

i don't have a problem with first nations as a whole, but at times i question their agendas when it comes to the environment and their political stance, especially when it effects issues regarding entitlement.

We may agree on this issue, however don't point fingers at Morton and those that support her unless you are willing to get involved in fixing this problem yourself.

as far as Alexandra Morton...she's nothing more than a environmental alchemist who's research is based on conjecture and probabilities rather than proven scientific facts yet she uses her findings to isolate the worse case scenarios and publicizes them in the form of scare tactics.

Your "clarification" still makes no sense. If we took your approach which seems to suggest that we let the feedlots do their thing, our wild salmon would likely be in much worse shape. There are many changes that the industry has made already that are a result of the work that Morton has done. Even Cohen was clear on the problems and solutions related to feedlots amplification of sea lice and diseases. He confirmed what Morton has been saying all along that the feedlots need to be removed from the migratory routes of the fry.

You've been clear on how you feel about Morton, the problem is that there are no facts to support your position.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2013, 11:54:59 AM »

Your "clarification" still makes no sense. If we took your approach which seems to suggest that we let the feedlots do their thing, our wild salmon would likely be in much worse shape. There are many changes that the industry has made already that are a result of the work that Morton has done. Even Cohen was clear on the problems and solutions related to feedlots amplification of sea lice and diseases. He confirmed what Morton has been saying all along that the feedlots need to be removed from the migratory routes of the fry.

You've been clear on how you feel about Morton, the problem is that there are no facts to support your position.

let me put it to you this way...with the masses come high demand. if we eliminate alternatives to help alleviate pressures on our natural resources how in world would that be beneficial to the survival of any wild species?

no one ever said the feedlots are infallible, in fact a lot of things can be improved in the way they are operated, but those who demand their dismantling need to get a grip on reality.

Alexandra Morton who's supposedly a leading expert on the life cycle of sea lice and their affect on the migratory habits of juvenile salmon can't even come up with any plausible or hypothetical numbers that would back her own claims of devastation to the wild stock population....her studies are based on an enclosed grid where numbers will obviously show high density in a concentrated area...she fails to show the affects of sea lice past the area of study nor has she shown a study of their survival/growth rate versus areas where feedlots don't exist or have no baring on the migration of fish...it's like measuring the toxicity level of a beach during red tide and proclaiming the whole coast unsafe for shellfish consumption.

sometimes, tunnel vision have as much a negative effect, as the subject you are opposing.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 05:34:06 PM »

sometimes, tunnel vision have as much a negative effect, as the subject you are opposing.

The leading cause of tunnel vision is glaucoma....  I just had an eye check up and my optometrist assured me I am glaucoma free....   which means I do not have tunnel vision.

Obviously tunnel vision is not the reason I oppose open pen feedlots!