Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OBMG - Canadian Princess  (Read 12800 times)

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
OBMG - Canadian Princess
« on: August 25, 2004, 01:32:53 PM »

Any one else been to the Canadian Princess?  Would love to hear about your experiences!  I have found the crew on the boats to be extremely helpful and friendly!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re:Big Guy's Uclulet pics
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 02:51:33 PM »

Can you expound upon the costs/accomodations etc?  I had a look...It looked interesting, but I would love to get a first hand account of ACTUAL costs, and the like.

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 05:20:51 PM »

Several packages available.  We drive in and sense my wife doesnt fish I pay for fishing trips separately!  If you fly in the prices are reasonable, fly from Vancouver to Ucluelet is about 350 including flight, hotel and fishing!  I may be off a bit but pretty close.  This includes 3 nights and 2 days fishing!  Your chice of salmon hali or bottom fish.  Need more info check Orca Bay!  Lots of info available!  Think this is a fair deal!  You can also stay on the ship if you wish!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 05:35:43 PM »

Several packages available.  We drive in and sense my wife doesnt fish I pay for fishing trips separately!  If you fly in the prices are reasonable, fly from Vancouver to Ucluelet is about 350 including flight, hotel and fishing!  I may be off a bit but pretty close.  This includes 3 nights and 2 days fishing!  Your chice of salmon hali or bottom fish.  Need more info check Orca Bay!  Lots of info available!  Think this is a fair deal!  You can also stay on the ship if you wish!

Oops - I know you mean Oak Bay :)

So:  Fly, fish for 2 days, and stay for 3 nights for $350?  Sounds reasonable.  Food too?

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 06:02:08 PM »

No but some great places to eat!   The best place is a little fish and chips stand just up the road from the hotel!!! Awesome!  I wish I was going again!  And the real fun is watching the boats come in with all their fish and then watching the girls fillet the halibut!

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 06:08:42 PM »

Try this site  http://www.canadianprincess.com/packages.asp  about 100 more than I thought, depends what you want.

Bantam_50

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 06:13:30 PM »

DS here's a direct link to Canadian Princess.

http://www.canadianprincess.com/

You can't beat this trip for the price. It doesn't include meals/beverages, so think of it as going out for dinner 2 nights. I didn't try the trip to the Wickaninnish restaurant, but hear it's fabulous. I'd love to go back, but when the hali fishing is good.

Neat Freak

• Birdnest King!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 06:23:58 PM »

Hold on! Hold on! $350 for 2 days fishing + accomodations + flight? Can that be right? I chartered out of Ucluelet in June (certainly not the prime season) for $800 (3 people - 8 hrs.). I drove and stayed in Tofino. I went with Westcoast Fish, and although the guide was very good, the boat was small with poor exposed seating to the elements. I saw a lot of those Canadian Princess boats and envied the people on them. $350? Was that per person per day? It sounded like it was all included. Is that right.

BTW, those are some beautiful catches.

Neat Freak

• Birdnest King!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 06:32:47 PM »

Wow! I just checked out that link to Oak Bay. I can't believe it. When I booked, I thoroughly checked many of the charters in Ucluelet and Tofino before making my decision. They were all more expensive than what I just read of at Canadian Princess Resort. I always assumed Oak Bay Marine Group was very pricey so I never even considered them. It's a great deal.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 09:55:17 PM »

Perhaps an FWR outing :D

bigguy

• Old Timer
Re:OBMG - Canadian Princess
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 11:04:55 PM »

did I say Orca  meant Oak! Must have been thinking about hockey! ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 11:28:16 PM »

If you go be sure to bring gravol. You will be fishing approximately 10-15 miles off shore and it can get very rough out there. Very rough. They don't call those puke boats for nothing. Fishing is done jigging big Reef Raiders. If you can try to obtain a cabin on shore rather than on the Canadian Princess. It's much more comfortable and less noisy. The cabins on the Canadian Princess is very small, no private showers or toilets. Don't be late. The boats sail exactly on time and they don't wait for stragglers !

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 11:30:45 PM »

Gravol IS a must! Some use the patch!  Id rather be sleepy on Gravol then puking for 6 hours as I have seen several people do!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 12:06:00 AM »

Here's a story for you: The time I went, it took over an hour to reach the fishing grounds. The swells were enormous ! After 30 minutes couple of guys wanted the rest of us to chip in $20.00 each to convince the Captain to return to shore early ! Half of the guys onboard were offering their breakfast to the Fish Gods.

Bantam_50

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 12:13:44 AM »

LMAO...yes when I went years ago, it was with 3 other coworkers...we tried to get as many as possible but it ended up being the 4 of us. The more people you can get to go the better for a memorable trip. I believe the boats take about 14 anglers each. We opted for the shore accom's and they we great.I was the only experienced angler of the lot. As for the rough seas, well it is a sight to be hungover, out in them rollers and suddenly some jelly belly starts to chum over the side. Sort of a domino effect after that...me I'm an ol skipper when it comes to rough seas, but my coworkers...man did I laugh.

As we had gone in Sept. the springs were pretty much done. Hali's weren't good either, but the ho's  (if your skipper found them) were like fleas. Also they offered a 4 hr.  bottom fish excurssion for a cheap fee (which went out in the late afternoon around the local reefs) after everyone had relaxed after the first days 7 hrs of angling. We went and caught many different varieties. I'll try and dig up a pic or 2 and post it. Again I'd like to go when the hali's are plenty, I'm told early in the season is good, plus also for feeder springs, but weather unpredictable, but the price a touch cheaper. Again I called it the 'poor mans guided trip'.  ;)

FWR tourney?....you gonna look into it DS and plan something?  ???