Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: White Springs/Red Springs  (Read 14040 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re:White Springs/Red Springs
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 12:06:44 AM »

i think it's partially psychological.  people have always associated pacific salmon with the rich orange colour of its flesh.  alot of people are turned off with the pale, somewhat 'lack of colour',  of the white springs.

it could also be, that the sheer size of the fish being eaten, are determining the texture and flavour of the flesh.  i've taken 12 pound whites and cooked them as fish and  chips.  friends have mistakened them for cod, but they've all commented on how good they tasted.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2004, 01:51:24 PM »

Both reds and whites are good in my opinion.  One has a taste the other doesnt have and vice versa.  Id say reds are my favorite though.  Depends how you cook them.  A guy I know cooked a white spring some fancy way and it was the best Ive ever tasted.

White springs smell pretty strong.  After handling one you can smell it on your hands for awhile.

Give it a chance...dont toss a white back if it wont survive the inspection and release.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2004, 06:53:01 PM »

there is nothing wrong with fish that have white flesh.

Agreed, many local fish with white meat are highly prized, such as hali's, snappers and lingcods.  But in terms of salmon, the white meat is not as popular as the red meat.  Even with farmed salmon, they need to add colour to the fish pellets so the flesh becomes red/orange.  Without the added colour, the farmed atlantic salmon would have a white flesh and shoppers wouldn't buy it as much.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.