Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish Stories  (Read 9691 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re:Fish Stories
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2004, 09:47:20 PM »

I was fishing with my cousin for bass on kemp lake near sooke on vancouver island.  Great smallmouth bass in there, big cutties too...
We were fishing very close to shore with spincasting gear, I don't remember what i had on, but i will never forget what  my cousin was using.  Why?  Because he embedded it in my scalp preparing for a cast.  He thought it was stuck on something so he decides to just keep on tugging, without looking, despite my " AAGH!   aach! OOOOWWWW!!!!" noises.  Floating rapala, gold with black top.  Dual treble hooks.  Thank god we never took up hunting together.

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2004, 07:49:01 AM »

ROML with Fishinfever story...... I think you in the dog box for a while man.
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2004, 11:23:17 AM »

this was a few years back,maybe 1991? and all those rapalas come with a treble on the my friend and belly, making two trebles!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2004, 06:44:16 PM »

Has anyone else ever been stuck in the middle of the lake in a bellyboat and your best friends borrowed waders and had to pee?  My, uh, friend almost made it to shore.  Nothing like that to warm your toes up on a cold fall morning.  Not that i'd know, cuz it was my, uh, friend or something.  If you're reading this Guy, I'm sorry! :-[

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004, 11:39:55 AM »

Carping at Deer Lake

A buddy and I were fishing off a sand bar by the old Oakalla lands.  We cast out our bait and waited for some action.  My buddy was a newbie to any type of fishing so didn’t really know what to expect.  I told him to hold onto his rod and wait for a nibble.  After a slow period, he got tired of holding his rod so he found a Y shaped stick and shallowly dug it into the sand.  He rested his rod there against my warning…  

So we are goofing off and not really paying attention because the action is slow.  All of a sudden, we hear a THUD, as his rod and stick holding it smash to the ground.  He looks and just stares as the rod then leaps into the water and takes off to deeper parts.  His look of shock was just classic.   :o ???

Later, buddy #2 joins us and asks why buddy #1’s not fishing.  So we tell him the story and he just laughs and says we’re BS’ing him.  So he casts out his line.  A few casts later, he retrieves his line to check his bait and on the way in, he feels a little weight on his line.  So he continues to reel in and notices he has caught another line.  We then hand reel that line in… and a rod pops out.  It was buddy #1’s rod!  So he grabs it and starts to reel it in while the reel makes all sorts of nasty sounds from the sand and water in it.

So he finally reels it in and at the end of the line was a giant carp about 10 lbs all tired out from being hooked for half an hour.  The single barbless hook still imbedded in the corner of its mouth.  Buddy #1 was freaked out to see such a huge fish and was scared to get anywhere near it.  So we unhooked the lunker for him and guided it back into the water.  I don’t think he’s gone fishing ever since.    ;D
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2004, 12:59:59 PM »

Sorry Bro, but all the best Fishy stories are about you....and since you haven't posted yet, here goes...

My brother, accomplished fisherman.  Loves to fly fish, loves to gear chuck.  However, Fish aren't the only thing he's managed to catch with fishin gear.

1.  We're sitting on the pier in White Rock, and he's using nothing but a bit of mono, a hook and some chicken, trying to catch one of those bullfish, to use as bait for the crab traps.  (keep in mind we were 12 and 11 years old)  He's holding his line with his bare hands, and all of a sudden a huge tug.... about 20 minutes later, he had landed himself a huge mud shark.  hey Gmoney, Maybe that's why "The Glove", he probably learned from that experience!

2.  Scale bar.  He chucks out his gear.  As the betty is flying through the air, dumb my friend seagull flies directly under it, wrapping itself up in line.  It starts sinking, poor pathetic thing with wings half flapping.  Bro looks at me, "crap, what should I do?"  Guy next to him replies, "well, reel it in!"  He reeled it in, and 2 or 3 guys unwrapped dumb my friend seagull.

3.  You know you're making flies look too real, when you fool the bats into thinking they're real.  This time, he didn't need to unhook it, as it unhooked itself...dang, wouldnt want to have to do that!!!
Hi ho Hi ho...It's off to Fish I go!

TtotheE

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2004, 06:31:56 PM »

Thanks,  you forgot about the time I was casting out at the scale bar, reeled in my line to feel a tiny tug.  Proceeded to reel in my line to find a 7" sturgeon on the end of my line!! (That's INCHES not FEET).

At least I haven't fished out a workboot yet...(knock on wood)  :)

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2004, 09:50:14 PM »

Fishing Chilliwack Lake for Dollies about '97 out of the boat using roe on the bottom.  Half way through the morning I started to eat a tomato sandwich (gross!) and a square loonie sized chunk of tomato falls out of my sandwich, rolls a nice mayonaise trail down my shirt and lands in the bottom of the boat.  

I picked it up and tossed it in the lake.  Later that day I killed two dollies (one hooked deep and the other to make it a meal) and went home.  While cleaning such fish I like to check stomach contents.  The first fish had a mess of dew worms in his gut.  The second was empty save for this reddish thing.  I thought it was a piece of roe but on closer inspection it was that piece of tomato.  Unreal.  Mom took a picture of it sitting on the end of my knife.

Dollies are indeed voracious predators.

Ugh...still cant believe I ate tomato sandwiches.  No wonder I was so skinny.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

spawntiludi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2004, 10:19:45 PM »

Fisherman Superstitions

My fishing buddy and myself were steelhead fishing at one of our favourite runs on the lower Vedder. It was an awesome spring day somewhere around Easter. I had packed up my rod and was enjoying lunch as we had planned on moving to a couple of runs on the upper side. My fishing partner had just bought a new baitcaster and at every oppurtunity he had he would extoll its superior prowess. The whole time I was enjoying my lunch he kept urging me to try out his spectactular purchase. I politily declined several times, but his persistance didn't wain. I finally surrendered taking the rod and casting the offering up against a log jam drifting the float perfectly alongside. "great cast " he exclaimed "isn't that the best reel you've ever cast?"
 Next cast same place. More praise from the rod owner. Third cast , same place and even more praise from my personal casting coach. Then Wham floats disappears in a heartbeat. Set the hook and ten minutes later I am landing a 12 lb Hatchery Doe.
 Instead of heading up river I am heading home, and since, my fishing partner will not even let me carry his rod never mind fish with it.

Ps. His reel was real good!