Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish Stories  (Read 9690 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Fish Stories
« on: August 10, 2004, 11:36:41 PM »

Many years ago when bar fishing was in its hey day so to speak our ball team wentmout for a weekend camping trip.

We were gathered around the camp fire a hour or so after dark. We hear some line going of a reel so one of the guys checked it out. Someone had forgotton to bring in his rod and a fish had grabbed the spin an glow. Turned out to be a sockeye that had bitten. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 11:20:54 AM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re:Opps!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 11:25:52 AM »

Any more good fish stories like this.We need to lighten up the posts a bit some time. I have a few but will wait for someone or a few others to post some.

Miss the hockey talk from last season when we had so much fun. Even would not mind seeing the line through the leaf emblem now that I know Max is not such a bad guy after all. ;D ;D

Drifting to Sports Chat.   :-\ or genral discussion. :-\

Lets hear some fish stories guys and gals I am sure we all have some.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 11:27:21 AM by chris gadsden »

otto

Re:Opps! on August 8th
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 06:45:37 PM »

OOOH OOOH OOOOH TELL THAT ONE !!!!!!    ;D ;D ;D

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 06:47:48 PM »

yes yes plzz do!! ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re:Opps!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 07:20:50 PM »

You mean this one Chris? ;D
Oh yah, the Laffs still Suck.
What took you so long to post it. ;D ;D

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 08:13:26 AM »

Come on you people! There must be at least 1 other person that has a funny fishing story to tell.

I have just returned from a fishing trip in rivers inlet. As I understand, there are about 10 lodges in the inlet at the moment. I am a good friend of one of the owners and as a special gesture, he asked his son to take us on a guide trip the one morning. There are different size boats that are used by lodges, and the one specific lodge ( No names mentioned) have boats that look like replica’s of a Boston whaler pushed with 15 HP yamies. These boats are comfortable with 2 anglers, and therefore only have two seats on them. Well we were out fishing at the wall, when  all 3 of us looked in awe what was coming along. One of these small skiefs has 3 guys on, but the one guy has put a lounge sofa on the boat so that he to could get a seat. We stared for about 5 min at this scene… it was hilarious, and as we say, no camera available.

http://www.blackgoldlodge.com/docs/map.pdf
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 08:15:24 AM by Mabelingwane »
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 08:50:09 AM »

A fish tale from my brother...

My uncle has a habit of putting one of those old style metal lawn chairs (the ones with the woven straps) in his 12' car topper.  One day he was out with my brother on Isintok L. in late march, right after ice off.  Well, the boat is a v-hull and the chair has flat legs.  This means that the chair is sitting on four tiny contact points at the bow.  Well, to lake a long story short, my Uncle was very relaxed (napping) when he gets a bite, wakes up, two feet go in the air (his), the chair slips, Uncle goes in ;D  My brother retrieves him from the water (freekin' cold) and they head to shore.  Think the day is done?  Nope.  He has my brother build a fire so he can warm up and dry his clothes.  He'll be damned if he's going to miss a day fishing (20 min from his home in Summerland).  1 1/2 hrs. later he's dry and warm and they're off fishing again (chair in boat) ::)  A few minutes go by and they're back in the same place.  Bang! Fish on! My Uncle strikes and sets the hook.  A nice 1 1/2lb beauty comes in the boat (big for Isintok).  Standing up, my Uncle proclaims "that's the bastard that put me in"!  To which he proptly prepares to sit down in the lawn chair that shifts as his weight hits and in he goes.  My brother fishes him out again and says "Do you realy think that lawn chair is a good idea"?   ;D

He tells that story every time I see him ::)  He also has a moose story he likes to tell about him & my day back in the 50's.

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 09:12:58 AM »

Great story Gruman....

Got me rolling with laughter......
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

Willowbarkus

• I'm a llama!
Re:Fish Stories
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 09:32:50 AM »

OK I'll bite.
When my kids were small I used to take them to a pier in Richmond to catch bullheads and sucker fish. We always used worms for bait. I had baited my hook and cast my line out and was baiting one of the kids hooks when I noticed my rod tip was slowly being pulled down. I ran and grabbed my rod and set the hook. Just after I did this I saw a huge fish rise out of the water in the middle of the river to dance on his tail. I forgot about my rod and was watching this thing in the river when some guy came running yelling "you've got a jumper!". I had never seen a sturgeon before and didn't relize that it was on the end of my line until the man ran over. I only had about 12 pound test on. I played this fish very carefully and after about 45 minutes I had it belly up by the pier. It looked to be about 7 feet long but we couldn't tell exactly as the water was too murky to see the whole thing. We really just saw it's head and part of it's shoulders.  By this time I was shaking and I gave the man the rod to hold for a minute until my arms got back to normal. When I had recovered he gave me the rod back and told me to gently pull it towards the beach. I did as he said and all of a sudden the weight was gone from my line. It turms out my knot had slipped and the fish was gone.  
That is the largest and most exciting fish I have ever caught. My husband still does not believe me and even laughs about it when it is brought up even though my son swore to him that it really did happen. That was quite the summer!
Carole

The Gilly

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 10:33:44 AM »

This was funny too...

My buddy and I caught a seagull on cut plug about 8 years ago off seal rock (West Van).  The seagull picked it up before we got it on the downrigger.  Flew the kite for about 5 min. (seemed like 20) before we could get the thing in the boat to remove the hook from it's beak.  The seagulls buddies were doing circles around the boat and dive bomming us the whole time.  Good thing they didn't deposit anything!  I wonder if it still eats hearing  ::)

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 10:35:40 AM »

that will teach it to only eat fish from the water, that's moving ::)

The Gilly

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 10:40:28 AM »

It was mooving, about 20' back of the boat, in a nice tight spiral ;D

fishinfever

• fishing is REELality
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 09:52:18 PM »

Not a fish story but you will understand, not my story but lol.

>> I never quite figured out why the sexual urge of men & women >> differ so much. And I never have figured out the whole Venus >> and Mars thing. I have never figured out why men think with their >> head and women with their heart. I have never figured out why >> the sexual desire gene gets thrown into a state of turmoil, when >> it hears the words "I do." >> >> FOR EXAMPLE: >> >> One evening last week, my wife and I were getting into bed. >> Well, the passion starts to heat up, and she eventually says "I >> don't feel like it, I just want you to hold me." >> >> I said "WHAT????!!! What was that?" >> >> So she says the words that every husband on the planet >> dreads to hear..."You're just not in touch with my emotional >> needs as a woman enough for me to satisfy your physical needs >> as a man." >> >> She responded to my puzzled look by saying, "Can't you just >> love me for who I am and not what I do for you in the bedroom?" >> >> Realizing that nothing was going to happen that night >> I went to sleep. The very next day I opted to take the day off >> of work to spend time with her. We went out to a nice lunch and >> then went shopping at a big, big unnamed dept. store. I walked >> around with her while she tried on several different very expensive >> outfits. She couldn't decide which one to take so I told her we'd >> just buy them all. >> >> She wanted new shoes to compliment her new clothes, so I said >> lets get a pair for each outfit. We went on to the jewellery dept. >> where she picked out a pair of diamond earrings. >> >> Let me tell you...she was so excited. She must have thought I was >> one wave short of a shipwreck. I started to think she was testing >> me because she asked for a tennis bracelet when she doesn't >> even know how to play tennis. I think I threw her for a loop when >> I said, "That's fine, honey." She was almost nearing sexual >> satisfaction from all of the excitement. >> >> Smiling with excited anticipation she finally said, "I think this is >> all dear, Let's go to the cashier". I could hardly contain myself >> when I blurted out, "No honey, I don't feel like it." >> >> Her face just went completely blank as her jaw dropped >> with a baffled WHAT???!!!" >> >> I then said, "Really honey! I just want you to hold this stuff for >> a while. You're just not in touch with my financial needs as a >> man enough for me to satisfy your shopping needs as a woman." >> And just when she had this look like she was going to kill me, >> I added, "Why can't you just love me for who I am and not for >> the things I buy you?" >> >> Apparently I'm not having sex tonight either.

otto

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2004, 01:59:20 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

took me five minutes to type this i was pissing myself laughing so hard.

:D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2004, 08:46:23 AM »

Flying over the bar yesterday below the Agassiz-Rosedale Bridge yesterday bought back this story.

My and my son were bar fishing for springs one afternoon in June.

Lots of others bar fishing as well were out. We are set up just below Ron and his wife and are all comfortable in our lawn chairs enjoying the scenery, sipping a pop and enjoying each others company.

After a while I walk out to recast my bar gear and off Ron's rod goes. Ron vaults out of his chair only to see the rod holder topple over and his pole with an Avon Royal Supreme on shoot out of holder lauched like a cannon shell ball with Ron only a couple a couple of steps out of his chair.

'My rod, my reel" is Ron's frantic call and by the time he gets to the waters edge the rod is going by me like a torpedo. ;D

I have reeled in so I try a cast to try and hook onto the outfit but my cast is behind the outfit as I do not lead it enough, the spring heads downstream at a good pace towing Ron's precious gear. ::)

Don, another friend races for his boat as the rod is floating as it goes by the anglers below as we recieve a update "she's still floating" we hear.

By the time Don has the motor going and Ron has scrambled aboard the gear is out of sight.

They head downstream and as we watch them disappear around the corner we wait for them to return thinking that there would be no chance of a recovery.

A while later up they come and as they come to the shore there is a smiling Ron with his recovered rod, reel and a bonus a spring in the 20 pound range.

Apparently Ron's rod, do not know the type but was a old wooden one that supported the bar weight and the spring at the same time.

I think Ron bought a lottery ticket that day. ;D

I had the same thing happen to me but got to the rod in time as it was disappearing from view in the murky waters of the Fraser. The only thing that saved the rod was we could see the red surveyors tape on the bell and were able to dive for it. It would not have floated. Yes and I got the fish in also. ;D

A tip when bar fishing make sure the rod holder is pushed in far enough so the above does not happen to you.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 09:43:48 AM by chris gadsden »