Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: British Columbia COVID - 19 Immunization Plan & Registration:  (Read 61420 times)

Roderick

Re: British Columbia COVID - 19 Immunization Plan & Registration:
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2021, 08:54:14 PM »

It's true that vaccines will slow the evolution of the virus.  Its also true that vaccines will influence that evolution.  Virtually any new variation will reduce the effectiveness of vaccines allowing the new ones to spread better then the old ones in a vaccinated population. Once it gets to 50-60% effective, it's time for a booster that targets the new variant specifically.  Especially with the mRNA vaccines, it's very fast to change a small part of it to match the new variant.  So the vaccine can evolve in parallel to the virus. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 08:56:15 PM by Roderick »
You shoulda been here yesterday.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2021, 11:58:33 PM »

corvids mutate too
few have three eyes or two beaks
most die from old age

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2021, 01:34:41 PM »

corvids mutate too
few have three eyes or two beaks
most die from old age

Saw this guy in Westeros a few years back.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #228 on: July 18, 2021, 03:55:29 PM »

It's a picture of what Ralph thinks of himself

HA HA what feeble joke. I never watched much of game of thrones though the Raven goes back to Poe and even Greek mythology. Who cares

https://www.natureinfocus.in/nature-digest/the-raven-s-third-eye
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #229 on: July 21, 2021, 01:01:06 PM »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #230 on: July 21, 2021, 01:20:57 PM »

41.5M doses administered in Canada of all types....

2222 adverse reactions (0.005% of all doses)

134 deaths were reported; however,

31 are still under investigation
56 of these deaths are unlikely linked to a COVID-19 vaccine
41 deaths could not be assessed due to insufficient information.
6 deaths followed a diagnosis of TTS [1]

Even considering all 134 reported deaths as a worst case, your chance of dying from a Covid vaccine is .00032% or 1:310000 The actual number based on this is still lower yet.

For comparison, to really illustrate how the anti-vaxxers or hesitant do not comprehend risk or basic statistical analysis....

The odds of dying from a motor-vehicle crash in 2019 were 1 in 8,393 [2]

The odds of dying from heart disease is 1 in 6 [2]

The odds of dying from a lightening strike is 1 in 138,849 [2]

The odds of spontaneous death is 1 in 300,000 [3]

Odds of dying from covid is 3 in 100 or 1 in 33.33 globally.

[1] COVID-19 vaccine safety: Weekly report on side effects following immunization - Canada.ca: https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/vaccine-safety/

[2] Odds of Dying - Injury Facts (nsc.org): https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/

[3] Sudden Cardiac Death (SCD): Symptoms, Causes (clevelandclinic.org): https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/17522-sudden-cardiac-death-sudden-cardiac-arrest

Who are the ones living in fear really?

Brian Babcock

« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2021, 09:04:24 PM »

I was trying to avoid this conversation but.....
"Odds of dying from Covid globally - 3 in 100" ????? Where did this come from? The population is just shy of 8 billion people. To keep the math simple, just a bit more than 4 million covid deaths worldwide. That's 1 in 2000 or 3 in 6000. Certainly NOT 3 in 100. Also keep in mind that this is the death toll not for a single year, but for the entire pandemic. That makes the numbers even further from your figure. Stuff like this doesn't help a bit. Just sayin'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2021, 09:38:57 PM »

the death rate among people who have tested positive is 2 to 3%. Don't take that lightly as in both cases actually number that get covid and die from it are seriously under reported in many if not most parts of the world. In countries like Canada. Those who have covid and get sick enough to require hospitalization get the best care available. In most other countries they may get none! Those who get it, don't get tested and have no access to quality health care do not.

Covid has never been a disease that had the ability to kill huge numbers of people comparable to smallpox etc. It has had the capability to overwhelm health care systems around the world and has come close to doing that in countries with state of the art health care systems.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:41:32 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Brian Babcock

« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2021, 09:57:34 PM »

Yes, that may be true. My point is, don't mislead people by saying that 3 in 100 people die of covid globally when you mean 3 in 100 people "infected" with covid die globally. BIG difference! Especially when you're (not you, Ralph) quoting stats about lightening strikes and auto crashes. I bet a lot more people die in auto crashes that were actually in auto crashes! A lot of people, myself included, just want honest facts. This doesn't make someone an "anti - vaxxer". It doesn't mean that you think they're injecting you with a microchip. Good grief..... Who thinks that? Answer - Nobody. It's truly troubling that we've come to a point in society where if you dare ask a question that's contrary to the accepted thought, you're immediately given a label. Sad....

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #234 on: July 22, 2021, 09:28:11 AM »

Yes, that may be true. My point is, don't mislead people by saying that 3 in 100 people die of covid globally when you mean 3 in 100 people "infected" with covid die globally. BIG difference! Especially when you're (not you, Ralph) quoting stats about lightening strikes and auto crashes. I bet a lot more people die in auto crashes that were actually in auto crashes! A lot of people, myself included, just want honest facts. This doesn't make someone an "anti - vaxxer". It doesn't mean that you think they're injecting you with a microchip. Good grief..... Who thinks that? Answer - Nobody. It's truly troubling that we've come to a point in society where if you dare ask a question that's contrary to the accepted thought, you're immediately given a label. Sad....
At this point the science is overwhelming.
Vaccines are our only path out of the pandemic. They have been proven safe and effective beyond any previous vaccine simply because of the scale of the pandemic and the number of vaccines given. Anyone not getting a vaccine is relying on everyone else to get a vaccine to protect them. Some people are unvaccinated because they can't take the vaccine (age or illness). Some people are unvaccinated, or are not well protected by the vaccine due to their immune system is compromised due to illness or medication. These are the people that we all need to protect. Those that choose not to get vaccinated are selfish. It's not a label, it's a fact. Do your part. Get the jab.

What do you know? What do you not understand? "asking questions" is anti-vaxxer code for spreading conspiracy theory so please seek out reputable medical professionals.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #235 on: July 22, 2021, 10:01:54 AM »

Covid in North America has killed people in numbers comparable to cancer & heart disease. it has killed about as many as many people as all accidents, stroke and respiratory diseases combined. In it's first 12 months it killed about 7 & 1/2 times as many people as the flu did in the previous 2 flu seasons. The covid situation has seen many essential diagnostic tests being delayed or even being not available due to the stress it has put on the health care system. I've been told I can't have a certain test for a medical condition because of the pandemic. Stories in the news this week (Globe and Mail July 17th) report that nurses and other health care professionals are quitting in record numbers because of the stress and overwork associated with the pandemic. The death rate is really just one statistical parameter and certainly not the only one that matters.

Brian Babcock

« Reply #236 on: July 22, 2021, 10:23:00 AM »

"Asking questions is anti-vaxxer code"??? Are you serious? What a ridiculous statement!
First of all, I never once said that I was anti-vax. I think vaccines are a modern marvel. I also never questioned the severity of the disease. I simply tried to point out that posting grossly misleading comparative stats does not help the effort to convince those who still have questions. True to form, labels immediately followed - "anti-vaxxer", "selfish". The very basis of science is to ask questions. This "Don't ask questions - JUST OBEY!!!!" attitude is going to take us backwards.

I knew I should of stayed out of this.......

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #237 on: July 22, 2021, 10:38:45 AM »

"Asking questions is anti-vaxxer code"??? Are you serious? What a ridiculous statement!
First of all, I never once said that I was anti-vax. I think vaccines are a modern marvel. I also never questioned the severity of the disease. I simply tried to point out that posting grossly misleading comparative stats does not help the effort to convince those who still have questions. True to form, labels immediately followed - "anti-vaxxer", "selfish". The very basis of science is to ask questions. This "Don't ask questions - JUST OBEY!!!!" attitude is going to take us backwards.

I knew I should of stayed out of this.......
Now you're really sounding like an anti-vaxxer. I'll be happy to interpret any stat you have concern with. Ask away.
You can choose to be part of society by learning about the disease and the vaccines and getting the jab, or you can choose to be selfish.

Brian Babcock

« Reply #238 on: July 22, 2021, 10:49:56 AM »

Huh??
Have you even read the post I was referring to?

I'm way too busy for this stuff.

I'll leave you with my favourite Mark Twain quote: "Never argue with a stupid person. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Have a great day!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.