Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Changing the regs for the Chilliwack/Vedder  (Read 44884 times)

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Changing the regs for the Chilliwack/Vedder
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2013, 09:29:07 AM »

As for long leaders, if there is a leader length restriction in place (it's coming, I am sure of that), anyone fishing with far too much leader beyond the regulated length would be breaking the rules, so they could be potential video fodder. Why not?

So Milo, will that leader restriction include fly fishermen/women as well that use 12 ft. tapered leaders. Hipocrisy much.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2013, 02:52:55 PM »

So Milo, will that leader restriction include fly fishermen/women as well that use 12 ft. tapered leaders. Hipocrisy much.

Absolutely. When fishing for migrating Pacific salmon in moving water, there's no need to use long leaders to effectively fish using sinking tips. Besides, who fishes for salmon with tapered leaders? Totally unnecessary.

Fishing with a full floating line is a different matter altogether, but it is easy to make an exception and allow long leaders due to the specific nature of the technique (used in frog water). Intentional snagging is not an issue anyway when you use a full floating line.

Please don't get so bent with the fly fishing thing. Although it is my favourite form of fishing, I also enjoy drift fishing a lot.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2013, 03:10:58 PM »

Well said Milo, I agree 100%.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2013, 03:42:16 PM »

So milo what sort of leader length do you propose?
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2013, 05:13:38 PM »

So milo what sort of leader length do you propose?

Don't know, JC...does one meter (three feet) sound reasonable?
Sure, it is still plenty to get the occasional fish flossed, but at least it covers much less water than the current 10 feet currently used by the Vedder snaggers, making it much more difficult to achieve a "legal snag" (in the mouth). And it is enough for the FF crowd to keep the fly in the zone when using adequate sink tips.

I know that restricting leader length cannot regulate intent, but we need to start somewhere. As it is, it is a free-for-all gong-show out there.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2013, 05:36:52 PM »

Don't know, JC...does one meter (three feet) sound reasonable?
Sure, it is still plenty to get the occasional fish flossed, but at least it covers much less water than the current 10 feet currently used by the Vedder snaggers, making it much more difficult to achieve a "legal snag" (in the mouth). And it is enough for the FF crowd to keep the fly in the zone when using adequate sink tips.

I know that restricting leader length cannot regulate intent, but we need to start somewhere. As it is, it is a free-for-all gong-show out there.

The more "skilled" snaggers I see at slab, borden and tamahi only seem to use 6-8" leaders.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2013, 05:56:40 PM »

The more "skilled" snaggers I see at slab, borden and tamahi only seem to use 6-8" leaders.

When you know how to use it, size doesn't matter.  ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »

That's been my motto as well ;)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »

Well then you see a leader restriction won't make a difference...

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2013, 06:50:36 PM »

Well then you see a leader restriction won't make a difference...

Oh, c'mon JC, show some humour for a change. ;)

merrittboy1

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2013, 07:48:44 PM »

Milo, what would your proposal for leader length be?  I think 36 to 48 would be fair enough.  I know we are mainly talking about the Vedder but what about socks on the Fraser. Like a few others have said, flossing, snagging I mean can be done with all lengths.  Who makes this decision on leaders,as I know that DFO people I have spoken with have little concern with lengths unless you are talking 10-12feet... Do you really think that they have the time to go around measuring leader length though?  What about hook size, line size etc?  Is it your idea to make the river available to just a CERTAIN group of anglers?  Seems like this.
I want to see some volunteer fish police on the rivers with their matching jackets and hats all carrying video cameras.  Would be cute... Lol.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2013, 08:00:22 PM »

I want to see some volunteer fish police on the rivers with their matching jackets and hats all carrying video cameras.  Would be cute... Lol.
Any thoughts merrittboy how that could be funded?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2013, 09:30:30 PM »

Milo, what would your proposal for leader length be?  I think 36 to 48 would be fair enough. 

I replied to that question a few posts above.
If you actually took the time to read what is posted, you'd be much cuter in my eyes...::)

merrittboy1

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »

I replied to that question a few posts above.
If you actually took the time to read what is posted, you'd be much cuter in my eyes...::)
Relax, my mistake, I had not read all the posts.  Not a biggy. Lol.

And Dave, sorry, I was trying to be funny... Poor attempt I guess. :-[  I honestly do not recommend volunteer fish police.  Would be waste of time, my opinion...

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »

It's not hatred; it's frustration. Frustration for blowing up a country that had been the envy of East and West.

The same frustration I feel when I see you write yet another useless post that contributes nothing to a topic at hand.
But I should be used to it by now...your notoriousness for blowing up good discussion threads far exceeds your good looks.

As you were...

Funny, it was you who mentioned that tidbit about "Chinese snaggers" and got called out on it by other members here. I suppose you could not have just said "Snaggers..." without the ethnic focus, eh?

Oh an you mention my "good looks"? That's my wife's territory haha. I didn't think you looked at me that way as I'm a guy but whatever floats your boat MIlo lol.

And glad you admitted at least your prejudice against former Yugoslavians. It's not easy to admit that sort of thing but perhaps in time you will chill out and look at everyone as Canadians first - not their ethnic background. Perhaps you should fish more and post less?

""Milo: I bash any fisherman who disregards the resource regardless of their ethnicity, but I am especially vitriolic about those who come from my old country.""
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:01:43 PM by dennisK »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9