Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1346065 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2415 on: October 08, 2016, 08:47:50 PM »

This is part of the problem, Maybe SS can help right the ship. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/dfo-federal-audit-report-fish-stocks-collapse-1.3793197
It's not part of the problem Chris ... it is the problem. Overfishing in times of lower than optimum freshwater conditions in natal rivers and poor ocean productivity due to warming water, increased acidity, and toxic algae blooms is the reason all Pacific salmon stocks are in decline.

Can you see any user group saying they will stop fishing until conditions improve? All want what they consider their share - fish be damned.
Sporties are most certainly included in this group, as witnessed this summer on the Fraser River.

FN ....  chum roe fishery ... 'nuf said.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2416 on: October 09, 2016, 05:08:32 AM »

It's not part of the problem Chris ... it is the problem. Overfishing in times of lower than optimum freshwater conditions in natal rivers and poor ocean productivity due to warming water, increased acidity, and toxic algae blooms is the reason all Pacific salmon stocks are in decline.

Can you see any user group saying they will stop fishing until conditions improve? All want what they consider their share - fish be damned.
Sporties are most certainly included in this group, as witnessed this summer on the Fraser River.

FN ....  chum roe fishery ... 'nuf said.
True,as well our governments and some ministeries have mismanaged not only our fisheries but many things related to the environment as they put money first, a lot because of the demands of the people. We, in my mind, many of us, not all, are guilty as we all want more, 2 cars, large houses, more toys and the list goes on, a me first mentality.

This is off topic but we know first hand, look at all the garbage people throw out everywhere, they donot care about the environment, go look at the blocked off area at Old Orchard Road and what is dumped there recently I will send you the picture later, off to the Long Table for coffee. ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2417 on: October 09, 2016, 10:13:05 AM »

This is part of the problem, Maybe SS can help right the ship. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/dfo-federal-audit-report-fish-stocks-collapse-1.3793197

I believe much of this report covers the actions of the previous Federal government who cut the department's budget repeatedly year after year. Some of the things mentioned in the report have been addressed by the new government such as new ships for the CCG. New staff have been hired in Pacific Region to address things like climate change, aquaculture, ground fish, and better modelling.  There has been a commitment in the Minister's mandate letter to do better so we will just have to see. Intergrated fisheries plans requires information from scientists and stock assessments. This information is passed onto fishery managers. If there are deficiencies in gathering the necessary data then how can fisheries managers make better decisions? Stock status and Wild Salmon Policy is in the same boat. Righting the ship requires that funding be restored. However, equally important it requires that staff succession and recruitment be more strategic as scientific staff age and retire.

Morton has used this opportunity to piggy back aquaculture onto the auditor's report which one can argue that more needs to be done with addressing Cohen recommendations. However, she goes a bit too far as she starts suggesting that we bring First Nation fisheries teams together to sample and count fish instead of the department. First, the department is already involved with many First Nation groups doing exactly that. Second, the capacity for First Nations to carry out this work is not same in every area of the province and with every First Nation group.  On one extreme, you have a very few that have put great resources and commitment towards fisheries stock assessment; whereas, on the other, there is absolutely no capacity or commitment and would not be able to carry out any stock assessment without department assistance. Until many First Nations start making more of a commitment to retain staff to do this work you will continue to get a revolving door of folks that are not able to do the job or teach others. The work is not a 3 month summer job. If you are going do it properly you need to keep staff employed 12 months which includes report writing and data analysis. They get funding for these initiatives so they need to decide whether it worth putting the energy into their young people to do this work.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2418 on: October 10, 2016, 09:01:21 PM »

A number of us wrote this to Justin.

Comments: Wild salmon are a keystone species in Canada.

Despite the presence of pristine salmon habitat, Clayoquot Sound’s wild salmon runs are in serious decline, with runs now numbering in the tens, rather than tens of thousands. No surprise—wild salmon are in exceptional decline everywhere salmon feedlots are in operation around the world. There are 20 salmon feedlots in Clayoquot Sound, putting at risk wild salmon which are the lifeblood of Clayoquot's ancient forests.

Salmon farms have many negative impacts on the environment including ease of virus transmission between captive and wild fish, sea lice infestations which spread to wild salmon, escapes, pollution including chemicals and tonnes of salmon sewage, and conflicts with marine mammals.

The solution to all these problems is simple: get the farms out of the ocean and rebuild wild fish stocks and wild fish economies.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2419 on: October 10, 2016, 11:32:22 PM »

Salmon farms have many negative impacts on the environment including ease of virus transmission between captive and wild fish, sea lice infestations which spread to wild salmon, escapes, pollution including chemicals and tonnes of salmon sewage, and conflicts with marine mammals.

In regards to escaped Atlantic Salmon and waste on Fraser River Sockeye:

Atlantic escapees. Both Dr. Dill and Dr. Noakes agreed that “it’s very unlikely that escapees are implicated in the decline of Fraser River sockeye salmon.” Atlantic escapees are not spawning in streams occupied by Fraser River sockeye, and they are not competing with Fraser River sockeye for food. Very few Atlantic salmon have been found in the lower Strait of Georgia and the Fraser River. Dr. Dill acknowledged a “slight potential for disease to transfer to wild sockeye via escaped Atlantics.” Dr. Noakes said “it is far more likely that farms would be a more viable source of pathogens than chance encounters between Pacific salmon and escaped Atlantic salmon. - Justice Bruce Cohen (Cohen Final Report; Volume 2; Chapter 4; pg 66).

I accept the evidence of Dr. Dill and Dr. Noakes that wastes and chemicals discharged at salmon farms are unlikely to have any population level effects on Fraser River sockeye. I also accept their evidence that escaped Atlantic salmon are unlikely to have any impact on Fraser River sockeye given that they are not spawning in streams frequented by sockeye and are not competing with sockeye for food. - Justice Bruce Cohen (Cohen Final Report; Volumen 2; Chapter 5; pg 113).

Chris, when you composed your letter where did you get your information (i.e. literature cited) with regards to escaped Atlantic salmon and wastes?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2420 on: October 11, 2016, 03:37:55 AM »

In regards to escaped Atlantic Salmon and waste on Fraser River Sockeye:

Atlantic escapees. Both Dr. Dill and Dr. Noakes agreed that “it’s very unlikely that escapees are implicated in the decline of Fraser River sockeye salmon.” Atlantic escapees are not spawning in streams occupied by Fraser River sockeye, and they are not competing with Fraser River sockeye for food. Very few Atlantic salmon have been found in the lower Strait of Georgia and the Fraser River. Dr. Dill acknowledged a “slight potential for disease to transfer to wild sockeye via escaped Atlantics.” Dr. Noakes said “it is far more likely that farms would be a more viable source of pathogens than chance encounters between Pacific salmon and escaped Atlantic salmon. - Justice Bruce Cohen (Cohen Final Report; Volume 2; Chapter 4; pg 66).

I accept the evidence of Dr. Dill and Dr. Noakes that wastes and chemicals discharged at salmon farms are unlikely to have any population level effects on Fraser River sockeye. I also accept their evidence that escaped Atlantic salmon are unlikely to have any impact on Fraser River sockeye given that they are not spawning in streams frequented by sockeye and are not competing with sockeye for food. - Justice Bruce Cohen (Cohen Final Report; Volumen 2; Chapter 5; pg 113).

Chris, when you composed your letter where did you get your information (i.e. literature cited) with regards to escaped Atlantic salmon and wastes?
Most of us know wherever FF have been around the world problems like this exist why would it be any different here SS?

http://wellnessmama.com/105599/problems-with-fish-farming/

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2421 on: October 11, 2016, 08:22:40 AM »

This has been answered many time but you don't listen.  I doubt anyone here has the patience to try again.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2422 on: October 11, 2016, 01:26:17 PM »

This has been answered many time but you don't listen.  I doubt anyone here has the patience to try again.
I plan on out lasting you all on this topic. ;D ;D ;D

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #2423 on: October 11, 2016, 02:47:27 PM »

If you plug both ears and shout "BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA..." all the time its going to be pretty easy for you Chris.  We are having the discussion but you never seem to hear any of it.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2424 on: October 11, 2016, 06:10:36 PM »

So true Aqua.  Chris seems to think if you say something often enough it becomes fact; funny, Almo thinks that way also.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
http://

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2426 on: October 11, 2016, 08:16:31 PM »

Beam me up Scotty......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/captain-kirk-beams-in-to-back-wild-salmon-protection-bill-1.3800195
Thanks for the link, sounds like a lot are hearing us even though the few posters above donot seem to get it yet but of course most worked or are working for FOC or are involved in FF in one way or another. The work we have been doing for the last few years will soon put them on the shelf like a can of Atlantic Salmon. :D :D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2427 on: October 11, 2016, 09:48:20 PM »

Most of us know wherever FF have been around the world problems like this exist why would it be any different here SS?

http://wellnessmama.com/105599/problems-with-fish-farming/

So, your response to scientific evidence/testimony presented at the Cohen Inquiry on escaped Atlantic salmon and wastes is an obscure website from a Google search. A site that starts out with, "Simple answers for healthier families" sounds swell.  Well I can't say I'm really surprised either. Lol

While farmed fish have obvious drawbacks there are also sustainability concerns about wild caught fish.

Sustainability concerns about wild caught fish?! Really?! Shocker. I guess another drawback of capture fisheries would be incidental capture of marine mammals, but that apparently doesn't exist with the Salmon Are Sacred crowd.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2428 on: October 12, 2016, 04:35:46 AM »

Dear Chris,

Today I unveiled a video endorsement from Canadian Actor & icon William Shatner in support of my Bill C-228 to #SaveWildSalmon.

I am thrilled to share his video statement and hope you will help spread the word about Bill C-228.

Watch, like, and share the video here: https://www.facebook.com/fin.donnelly/videos/10153795064490723/

I'm very proud to add William Shatner to the growing list of supporters who are calling on Members of Parliament to vote for Bill C-228 to #SaveWildSalmon.

You can watch and share Shatner's video statement on Facebook here, Twitter here, and Youtube here.

By spreading the message we can encourage more people to contact their MPs to support Bill C-228.

Mr. Shatner joins a host of other high profile endorsers, like David Suzuki, Alex Morton, Willie Mitchell, Yvon Chouinard, Chief Bob Chamberlin, Tony Allard and Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, Please view & share their quotes online at:‎ http://findonnelly.ndp.ca/bill-c-228-endorsements

Together, we can ensure a healthy future for wild salmon and the people who depend on them.

Thank you for your support.

Fin Donnelly
Member of Parliament
Port Moody—Coquitlam
(Anmore & Belcarra)
New Democrat Critic for Fisheries, Oceans and Canadian Coast Guard
-=-=-

Fin Donnelly, MP for Port Moody-Coquitlam · Canada