Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1346221 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2010 on: January 04, 2016, 08:58:33 PM »

If there were better information on the affects of open pen fish farms in BC these type of pompous remarks about fish farming and the posters would be a non issue.

BC's wild salmon stocks are in a vulnerable state. By moving fish farms to closed containment, we protect our wild stocks from sea lice, pollutants and other harmful substances that inevitably disseminate from open-net fish farms.

Nice contradiction, gentlemen. Do we need better information or do we have all we need? What were the findings and recommendations in the report? Did Cohen call for closed containment or BC wild salmon were doomed?  Did Cohen say that diseases and virus were out of control on BC fish farms?

Seems like Fin couldn't wait for findings and recommendations from Cohen's Final Report.  I guess he didn't want to wait for better information.  When the Morton mothership spoke I guess he needed to act.

https://openparliament.ca/bills/41-2/C-225/

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2011 on: January 04, 2016, 10:17:01 PM »

You appear surprised or shocked about this certification ... why?
I think things will be changing soon, be prepared to be shocked.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2013 on: January 05, 2016, 06:19:49 PM »

Well Chris, you’ve made prognostications like this several times before; eventually I suppose you will be proved right on at least one, but not likely for what you want from the fish farming industry. But, carry on, lol ;)

How about you and Eddy Gardner get together and do a bit of drum beating and protesting against the contaminated soil dump issue that might happen right beside the Chehalis River, right in downtown Sto-lo territory.  Surely Almo, the savior of wild salmon, would back you on this, no? 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2014 on: January 05, 2016, 07:04:09 PM »

Well Chris, you’ve made prognostications like this several times before; eventually I suppose you will be proved right on at least one, but not likely for what you want from the fish farming industry. But, carry on, lol ;)

How about you and Eddy Gardner get together and do a bit of drum beating and protesting against the contaminated soil dump issue that might happen right beside the Chehalis River, right in downtown Sto-lo territory.  Surely Almo, the savior of wild salmon, would back you on this, no?
Get involved, with your knowledge you certainly would be able to get it stopped, let us know how it goes.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2015 on: January 05, 2016, 07:05:47 PM »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2016 on: January 05, 2016, 09:06:52 PM »

Eddie and the rest of his group seem to be absent from Seabird Island. I wonder why. I thought their "minds were one" so if one person showed up there to protest then the rest would follow. I wonder why many environmentalists that protest fish farms and hazardous material recycling sites steer clear of this?  Pfft...they are only pinks, chum and threatened sturgeon anyway.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2017 on: January 06, 2016, 08:28:14 AM »

Eddie and the rest of his group seem to be absent from Seabird Island. I wonder why. I thought their "minds were one" so if one person showed up there to protest then the rest would follow. I wonder why many environmentalists that protest fish farms and hazardous material recycling sites steer clear of this?  Pfft...they are only pinks, chum and threatened sturgeon anyway.
As I said before, maybe you missed it, a person can not tackle every issue that surfaces. I said to Dave a good challenge for him hopefully he will take it on and with your help I am sure you will be successful in stopping this, gosh even Bob may help too, that would make a terrific threesome.

Also Happy New Year and keep your posts coming.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:29:58 AM by chris gadsden »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2018 on: January 06, 2016, 07:37:52 PM »

As I said before, maybe you missed it, a person can not tackle every issue that surfaces. I said to Dave a good challenge for him hopefully he will take it on and with your help I am sure you will be successful in stopping this, gosh even Bob may help too, that would make a terrific threesome.

Also Happy New Year and keep your posts coming.
Perhaps you can answer the simple question of when salmon farming has harmed wild salmon in BC and Washington. You know the one question on the issue that you are zoned into Chris, but seeming unwilling to answer. Happy New to you.  :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:47:15 PM by Fisherbob »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2019 on: January 06, 2016, 07:58:37 PM »

Perhaps you can answer the simple question of when salmon farming has harmed wild salmon in BC and Washington. You know the one question on the issue that you are zoned into Chris, but seeming unwilling to answer. Happy New to you.  :)
All will be explained when the Cohen Inquiry is looked into by the new government and the study Dave's friend is conducting along with Kristi Miller, stay tuned. ;D ;D ;D

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2020 on: January 06, 2016, 08:20:06 PM »

All will be explained when the Cohen Inquiry is looked into by the new government and the study Dave's friend is conducting along with Kristi Miller, stay tuned. ;D ;D ;D
And here I thought you already had it figured out with scientific data LOL. No wonder there has not been an answer from you. Do not get too depressed on the outcome of what you think may happen. Feel free to stay tuned. I am here for you hehe. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:23:46 PM by Fisherbob »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2021 on: January 06, 2016, 10:03:38 PM »

And here I thought you already had it figured out with scientific data LOL. No wonder there has not been an answer from you. Do not get too depressed on the outcome of what you think may happen. Feel free to stay tuned. I am here for you hehe. :)
We have but whatever we post you and the PAPG always dispute so you will have to wait for the truth from others, stay tuned, over to you now.;D ;D ;D

ClayoquotKid

« Reply #2022 on: January 07, 2016, 10:19:05 AM »

Is this what we were supposed to be waiting for, Chris?

http://huffstrategy.com/MediaManager/release/Raincoast-Research-Society/7-1-16/Feared-Atlantic-Farm-Salmon-Virus-Identified-in-British-Columbia/3221.html

http://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12985-015-0459-1

Kibenge, Morton, and Routledge back with another "shocker"?

Pumped up primer, "non-negative" results coinciding with a lack of clinical disease symptoms?

I, for one, wouldn't be surprised if there was a long-standing presence of some sort of European descent virus considering the millions upon millions of Atlantic salmon and Brown trout stocked in BC over the last hundred years.

I have a feeling this won't net the result Morton et al. are fishing for.

UPDATE

After some further investigation some points make themselves quite clear:

- Kibenge's lab has a history of poor practices regarding cross-contamination
    - Their tests are not repeatable
    - Fresh moribund farmed Atlantic's WERE tested with clear results documented at the Cohen Commission
    - They didn't do any other corroboration to their PCR results using OIE standards available, or have an outside lab confirm
    -  The press release doesn't match the paper's own findings in its claims

Looks like a case of, "Run it till we see something we like."
    [/list][/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:45:37 PM by ClayoquotKid »

Dave

• Old Timer
    « Reply #2023 on: January 07, 2016, 11:13:29 AM »

This is something I have suspected all along; an endemic non pathogenic strain of ISAv here on the Pacific coast.   So what. Interesting the cutthroat sampled from Cultus Lake were perfectly healthy and at the time these fish were sampled I questioned why Chilliwack Lake (a lake with an increasing sockeye population) cutthroat weren't used as a control...   Blaming what appears to be an endemic strain of ISAv for the demise of Cultus Lake sockeye is a typical Morton stretch.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
    • I does Christy
    « Reply #2024 on: January 07, 2016, 02:22:56 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_diseases_and_parasites

"It is reported that wild salmon on the west coast of Canada are being driven to extinction by sea lice from nearby salmon farms.[47] Antibiotics and pesticides are often used to control the diseases and parasites."

Bawb won't be impressed until he's knee deep in dead salmon. But I guess he's already seen that at the farm.
    another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?