Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1346045 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #1680 on: November 18, 2015, 11:37:46 PM »

http://www.naturalnews.com/052017_fish_farming_industry_Costco_antibiotic_overuse.html

Sounds like less business for Chile and potentially more business for British Columbia. Story didn't say that no farmed fish were going to be sold at Costco.

When farmed fish escape into wild, it's a major cause for concern as they pose an enormous threat to wild fish due to the diseases they carry.

In BC, farmed Atlantic Salmon have more to worry about endemic diseases, like IHN, than wild Pacific Salmon as Atlantic Salmon have not developed the immunity their Pacific cousins have.  Adult Pacific Salmon like Sockeye can be natural carriers of IHNv and likely pass this onto farmed Atlantic Salmon.

It's also feared that farmed fish, which have minimal genetic diversity due to inbreeding, may mate with wild fish and over time cause them to lose "natural traits that help them survive in the wild."

Farmed Atlantic Salmon with wild Atlantic Salmon - yes that could potentially happen.  However, Atlantic Salmon cannot breed with Pacific Salmon.

salmonrook

« Reply #1681 on: November 19, 2015, 12:33:54 AM »

While these diseases have wiped out farmed salmon populations in Chile, they have been the farmed populations ,regardless,we are talking about preserving our own wild stocks from being affected.Farming will be around and to me I am indifferent if the huge multinational fish farmers survive or not .
 We need to focus on preserving our own wild stocks which are being affected.And maybe not by the same virus as the farmed fish but by the concentrations of pollution and  the sea lice epidemic we now see.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1682 on: November 19, 2015, 07:39:13 AM »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1683 on: November 19, 2015, 07:43:46 AM »

We need to focus on preserving our own wild stocks which are being affected.And maybe not by the same virus as the farmed fish but by the concentrations of pollution and  the sea lice epidemic we now see.
What stocks are being affected? What concentrations of pollution and what sea lice epidemic?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1684 on: November 19, 2015, 08:09:56 AM »

http://www.naturalnews.com/052017_fish_farming_industry_Costco_antibiotic_overuse.html

Great post Chris. Great post indeed. But you can see the pro dirty fish types couldn't give a rat's unmentionable if they pump those fish with anything. even if it affects the environment around the farm areas. Wrong on so many levels you have to rinse your eyes with sterile saline after reading their posts. They want Canada to operate at the same low standards as Chile to appease their whatever affinity to the dirty fish method. I can't for the life of me imagine what motivates their support for this.

"Chile used nearly 350 times more antibiotics on its farmed salmon than Norway, its chief competitor."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/052017_fish_farming_industry_Costco_antibiotic_overuse.html#ixzz3rxDVDM4s
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1685 on: November 19, 2015, 10:33:19 AM »

They want Canada to operate at the same low standards as Chile to appease their whatever affinity to the dirty fish method. I can't for the life of me imagine what motivates their support for this.

"Chile used nearly 350 times more antibiotics on its farmed salmon than Norway, its chief competitor."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/052017_fish_farming_industry_Costco_antibiotic_overuse.html#ixzz3rxDVDM4s
Who here has said we want Canada to operate like Chile?  And what has Chilean salmon farming to do with BC and Washington state salmon farming?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1686 on: November 19, 2015, 01:11:28 PM »

Dave you would give the dirty fish farmers free reign to do whatever they want should the same issues arise here. More antibiotics bingo use the shovel. More SLICE bango hold the fishes mouth open and shovel it down their throats. You only criticize people who complain about the poor outdated fishfarming technique. I hope this helps. Maybe a holiday in Chile at this time of year is just the ticket for you to see firsthand and enjoy their summer.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1687 on: November 19, 2015, 01:25:18 PM »

I hope this helps. Maybe a holiday in Chile at this time of year is just the ticket for you to see firsthand and enjoy their summer.

Great advice tb ;)  Actually I would love to go to Chile for the superb trout fishing and perhaps even better wines.  Maybe I should do like Almo and start a Go Fund me campaign ;D ;D ;D

Would you contribute?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1688 on: November 19, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »

They want Canada to operate at the same low standards as Chile to appease their whatever affinity to the dirty fish method.

I see you have picked up on Doc Mortons habits and started lying. Good on you for promoting salmon from Norway though.  :)

salmonrook

« Reply #1689 on: November 19, 2015, 08:21:09 PM »

What stocks are being affected? What concentrations of pollution and what sea lice epidemic?

There are many factors affecting our wild salmon stocks ,responsible farming practices is one factor we could control .

The pollution under neath the overcrowded net pens.

http://asf.ca/sea-lice-detrimental-to-wild-atlantic-salmon.html

In Norway they are spending 40 Million dollars to control sea lice on the farmed fish, why would they do this ?
Because they are detrimental to the health and harvest.
 Why does it matter here?
 Because they are ahead of the curve compared to us, we should learn from them .

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1690 on: November 19, 2015, 08:41:49 PM »

You only criticize people who complain about the poor outdated fishfarming technique.

No, he criticizes those that don't know what they are talking about which in this case is you.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1691 on: November 19, 2015, 09:12:53 PM »

There are many factors affecting our wild salmon stocks ,responsible farming practices is one factor we could control .

The pollution under neath the overcrowded net pens.

http://asf.ca/sea-lice-detrimental-to-wild-atlantic-salmon.html

In Norway they are spending 40 Million dollars to control sea lice on the farmed fish, why would they do this ?
Because they are detrimental to the health and harvest.
 Why does it matter here?
 Because they are ahead of the curve compared to us, we should learn from them .

If they are so far ahead of the curve then why are they apparently experiencing more issues with sea lice than they are here? What do you understand about aquaculture other than what you get from Morton or the website you attached earlier? What do you understand about the management of sea lice on BC fish farms?  Do you know how and when SLICE is administered? Do you know what is involved in monitoring sea lice levels and how surveys are designed? Would it not be a good idea to be up to speed on this stuff first before announcing sea lice epidemics and impending catastrophe?

Have you seen this website already? That would be a start.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/aquaculture/reporting-rapports/lice-pou-eng.html

You keep saying about "preserving our own wild stocks which are being affected", but what are all the factors that potentially impact wild salmon, what have we learned so far about each and what is there left to find out?  There was a 26 million report put out in 2012 called the Cohen Report which addressed all these issues, looked at the evidence to date, made findings and came up with recommendations. Read what Cohen says about the sea lice and it's impact on Fraser Sockeye declines. Seriously, Google the document from Watershed Watch Salmon Society and read what they say about sea lice as well as other factors.  It seems many here agree with Cohen's recommendations and are demanding that they be implemented, but I highly suspect few here have actually taken the time to read it other than to read filtered and edited versions (i.e. Salmonconfidential) from notable activists. If people are so passionate about saving wild salmon then they should at least take the time to read the report, especially Volume 2: Decline Related Evidence and Findings.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:15:07 PM by shuswapsteve »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1692 on: November 20, 2015, 07:05:51 AM »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1693 on: November 20, 2015, 07:38:43 AM »

More bad news for FF.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/parasite-ridden-salmon-sold-in-b-c-stores-1.864202
Did you read when this story came out?  Didn't think so ;D  Also, if you were up to speed on this issue you would know in 2012 all Atlantic salmon sold at Costco were imported from Chile, and, that Kudoa has been present in wild salmon long before salmon farms started up in BC.
It is actually very common in Early Stuart sockeye.

banx

« Reply #1694 on: November 20, 2015, 08:38:20 AM »

Great advice tb ;)  Actually I would love to go to Chile for the superb trout fishing and perhaps even better wines.  Maybe I should do like Almo and start a Go Fund me campaign ;D ;D ;D

Would you contribute?

i'd chip in if you bring me back a bottle of malbec.