Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78795 times)

VictorBai

Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #420 on: September 09, 2022, 08:47:04 PM »

This is my first Sockeye year as well and I haven't been onto the water yet. What I am sharing are all hearsays.

Words say it is very hard to get any success in the Tidal Fraser. If you wish to increase your success rate, go above Mission and ideally above the Vedder confluence.

Check out this week's Friday Report from Pacific Angler. They explained this better in more details. I am still learning and have no idea what a gravel bar is, what it looks like, or where I could find one.

On my social media, one guy limited out at a place near Hope. I don't know where that is but there is a wildfire near it.

The link RalphH shared looks very helpful as well. Don't forget to check that.

Hope you could catch your first Sockeye soon!

I fished brownsville bar for 2 hours and in delta for another 2.. Skunked, no signs of fish either. Could there be better spots? Or should I go at high tide next time?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #421 on: September 09, 2022, 08:57:51 PM »

you need to fish faster water, something about the speed of a good walk. It should have a good gravel or cobble bottom. The coarser the bottom structure, the more tackle you will lose. Use enough weight to sink to the bottom quickly but  lets the weight bounce along nicely. Best line is 65lb gel spun such as Tuf Line as that will often allow you to pull the weight free when you hang up. If conditions allow, heavy slinky weights really reduce tackle loss. I made my own. Use a long leader - like 10 to 12 feet. A large hook, say #1 or 1/0, yarn in a bait loop and cast upstream.  Keep a tight line to keep contact with the weight, let it swing around and once the weight rises and contact is lost with the bottom, reel in and cast again. Do that for 7 to 10 hours and you will catch fish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Easywater

• Old Timer

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #423 on: September 09, 2022, 09:01:10 PM »

I am still learning and have no idea what a gravel bar is, what it looks like, or where I could find one.

On my social media, one guy limited out at a place near Hope. I don't know where that is but there is a wildfire near it.

Here's a map of bar fishing locations along the Fraser. I'm sure some of them have changed since last winter's storms:
https://www.bcfishingjournal.com/project/bar-fishing-locations-lower-fraser-river/

You can also Google "Fraser River bar fishing" to see photos of what these places look like.

Hope is a small town up the valley, on the way into the mountains. It's a 1-2 hour drive, depending on where you're coming from. The first Rambo movie, First Blood, was filmed there.

If you can afford it, hire a guide for a charter on the river. They'll have the boat, gear, and knowledge to get you into some fish. The Fraser is a big river to figure out, especially when your window of opportunity is so limited by time.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #424 on: September 09, 2022, 09:25:15 PM »

This is my first Sockeye year as well and I haven't been onto the water yet. What I am sharing are all hearsays.

Words say it is very hard to get any success in the Tidal Fraser. If you wish to increase your success rate, go above Mission and ideally above the Vedder confluence.

Check out this week's Friday Report from Pacific Angler. They explained this better in more details. I am still learning and have no idea what a gravel bar is, what it looks like, or where I could find one.

The link RalphH shared looks very helpful as well. Don't forget to check that.

Hope you could catch your first Sockeye soon!
i read their report as well. From my conclusion it makes sense to me that the success experienced up there is due to the gravel bars. Which I guess are relatively flat and gravel filled meaning less snags. Meaning easier migration for sockeye and better fishing. I am unable to make it to hope so I will keep insisting on fishing the tidal fraser. Will keep updating my results.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

roeman

« Reply #425 on: September 09, 2022, 09:43:49 PM »

Fishing below the mouth of the Vedder is a waste of time for Sockeye.  If your new to Sockeye fishing and have a boat launch at Island 22 and follow the other boats.  Its good to fish with others around to know if there is fish going by. If you see a couple of people catching more than others, go ask if you can see their set up and copy it. Some gravel bar produce better than others, main reason is posistion on the bar, (bottom end, middle and top end ) water depth and speed.  With out a boat, there is a good gravel bar below the Hope bridge on the North side.  Hwy 1  side just drive between Chilliwack and Hope and look for vehicles on the side of the road.  Be careful if you decide to cross back channels, and there is no need to stand in the water past your knees.
Stay safe, the biting coho will be here soon and are alot more fun to catch.
Are you fishin or catchin

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #426 on: September 09, 2022, 09:54:39 PM »

Fishing below the mouth of the Vedder is a waste of time for Sockeye.  If your new to Sockeye fishing and have a boat launch at Island 22 and follow the other boats.  Its good to fish with others around to know if there is fish going by. If you see a couple of people catching more than others, go ask if you can see their set up and copy it. Some gravel bar produce better than others, main reason is posistion on the bar, (bottom end, middle and top end ) water depth and speed.  With out a boat, there is a good gravel bar below the Hope bridge on the North side.  Hwy 1  side just drive between Chilliwack and Hope and look for vehicles on the side of the road.  Be careful if you decide to cross back channels, and there is no need to stand in the water past your knees.
Stay safe, the biting coho will be here soon and are alot more fun to catch.
thanks for the advice, I just hope it doesnt end up that nobody catches any in the tidal waters just like nobody caught any coho last year when it opened. Atleast nobody thats active here.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #427 on: September 09, 2022, 11:22:53 PM »

Darko, in twenty years, I have caught one sockeye salmon in the tidal portion of the Fraser River when targeting them, and it's not due to a lack of trying. Also don't bother with the sockeye fishery in the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River, it's a waste of time, money and energy to legally foul hook a couple of fish to bring home.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #428 on: September 10, 2022, 07:48:36 AM »

I figured out that it would cost me about $50 in gas to go to the bar I used to fish. At the standard $/km charge from Revenue Canada it would be $146. The value is questionable in terms of the fish though the surrounding are beautiful if it's not too smoky. As for Rod's comments, it up to you. There is really no ethical or sporting way to stick a hook in a fishes mouth or face. That's a fabrication and a cheat or deception anyway it's done.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #429 on: September 10, 2022, 11:45:05 AM »

Another great morning out there! Another limit of Sockeye. Yum, Yum. A lot busier today then yesterday. The fish cops were out as well checking hooks. Get out there and get your socks! It’s only a 10 day opening folks.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 11:55:26 AM by Wiseguy »

sumasriver

« Reply #430 on: September 10, 2022, 04:31:35 PM »

Catching Sockeye is not fishing.....   It is snagging.  Harvesting.

Boring to many and when you factor in the cost of gas / time / gear - hardly worth the effort.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #431 on: September 10, 2022, 04:54:15 PM »

« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 05:36:59 PM by wildmanyeah »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #432 on: September 10, 2022, 05:20:00 PM »

Catching Sockeye is not fishing.....   It is snagging.  Harvesting.

Boring to many and when you factor in the cost of gas / time / gear - hardly worth the effort.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #433 on: September 10, 2022, 05:22:11 PM »

I live in Hope. The gas costs are minimal. Flossing gear is cheap. Well worth the effort for myself to catch a limit everyday. Very happy for this opening. Nothing like a fresh sockeye on the BBQ caught that same day to feed my family.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #434 on: September 10, 2022, 05:51:23 PM »

There is lots of honor in putting food on the table. The Fraser sockeye fishey has been examined from every angle by FOs and COs and those that administer our angling regulations. They say it is legal.