Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78789 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #375 on: September 08, 2022, 06:54:54 PM »

Disgusting to have all three sectors going at it during what is supposedly the closure window for Interior Fraser steelhead and coho.

stsfisher

« Reply #376 on: September 08, 2022, 07:08:45 PM »

Disgusting to have all three sectors going at it during what is supposedly the closure window for Interior Fraser steelhead and coho.
100% totally disgusting. This opening will do more harm than good.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #377 on: September 08, 2022, 07:20:49 PM »

Yeah instead of 30k ifc returns maybe 25k will

And instead of 150 ifs returning maybe 140 will

I get every spawners counts but the Rec sector falling in its sword for one sockeye season won’t cubsge anything to imporove Thoes numbers.

And traditionally more steelhead are harvested in the chum fisheries later on.

And more ifc are harvested in the ocean on the area f coho troll fisheries and mid water trawl fisheries and ocean catch and release fishery’s.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 07:25:22 PM by wildmanyeah »

stsfisher

« Reply #378 on: September 08, 2022, 07:34:10 PM »

Yeah instead of 30k ifc returns maybe 25k will

And instead of 150 ifs returning maybe 140 will

I get every spawners counts but the Rec sector falling in its sword for one sockeye season won’t cubsge anything to imporove Thoes numbers.

And traditionally more steelhead are harvested in the chum fisheries later on.

And more ifc are harvested in the ocean on the area f coho troll fisheries and mid water trawl fisheries and ocean catch and release fishery’s.
Haha, like sacrificial lambs. This statement is what is wrong with this entire fishery. Who cares about the consequences as long as my needs are met is all I see here.
I understand the want but DFO really has f'd up here telling everyone they gives 2 shits about a mandate to protect stocks of concern. Recreational anglers partaking in this fishery will also be setting precedent showing they too give 2 shits about stocks of concern which will be used against them and the rec sector in the future.
I will make easy choice to not partake in this fishery while knowing the future of any fishery in the future on the fraser is more at risk after the political fall out of this year's opening.

ribolovac02

« Reply #379 on: September 08, 2022, 07:48:53 PM »

It makes me very sad how a natural resource has become so political .

It makes me even more sad how, we ,the fisherman and fisherwomen and who else , have become so gready to harvest our catch , that’s worth a few bucks , it’s like we are desperate , but most of us have 500$ Sage rods and 500$ waders , and most drive nice vehichles and live in Comfy houses …

It is absolutely pathetic .

I fish , and I love it , but nothing will ever ,make me partake in this fishery , and I know some need it , but again , I find it very hard to belive that most need it desperately …

It is a very sad state of events that is going on right now ,in our fisheries , very , very sad …

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #380 on: September 08, 2022, 07:50:25 PM »

IF coho numbers haven’t changed in 30 years despite cutting almost all fishery exploitation. It’s below 5% most years

All I’m saying is changing that 5% exploration 6 or 7% Is not going to change future returns all that much.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #381 on: September 08, 2022, 08:00:48 PM »

-
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 09:01:38 PM by wildmanyeah »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #382 on: September 08, 2022, 08:32:53 PM »

Well, for those b#%tcin and whining about not getting to snag your two socks, here’s your chance.  Hope it will be worth it now that the bag fleets are being unleashed.  I guess the good thing is that there will be fewer posts about the FN fishery now that some here will be too busy lining up at peg leg to drag their single strand Gill net on the bottom.  Be careful what you wish for.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #383 on: September 08, 2022, 08:48:57 PM »

Well, for those b#%tcin and whining about not getting to snag your two socks, here’s your chance.  Hope it will be worth it now that the bag fleets are being unleashed.  I guess the good thing is that there will be fewer posts about the FN fishery now that some here will be too busy lining up at peg leg to drag their single strand Gill net on the bottom.  Be careful what you wish for.

If the Rec fishery fishes or not it has no impact in the decision  making if they unleash the commercial fleet or not.

Any TAC the Rec fleet does not catch they will just give to commercial in future fisheries.

I do get it tho that it all stinks close the abundance summer run for concerns over late run then open it up for late run while other stocks of concern are present

Tho if the Rec sector and commercial fishery’s were big killers of stocks of concern then the 3 years where we don’t fish for sockeye there returns should be much stronger but they are not.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 08:50:41 PM by wildmanyeah »

Dubs604

« Reply #384 on: September 08, 2022, 08:52:49 PM »

So are we getting an opening in the salt or what?  :-\

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #385 on: September 08, 2022, 09:04:04 PM »

If the Rec fishery fishes or not it has no impact in the decision  making if they unleash the commercial fleet or not.

Any TAC the Rec fleet does not catch they will just give to commercial in future fisheries.

I do get it tho that it all stinks close the abundance summer run for concerns over late run then open it up for late run while other stocks of concern are present

Tho if the Rec sector and commercial fishery’s were big killers of stocks of concern then the 3 years where we don’t fish for sockeye there returns should be much stronger but they are not.

There are many factors that affect the returns of stocks of concern.  Many of them we have little to no control over, but fishery openings we do.  Even though this was the dominant year in the cycle, the run I felt was not strong enough to warrant a commercial opening.  Very rarely do we see a rec opening without a commercial one.  That’s the point I was trying to make.  I would rather the rec sector not fish if it means the net fleet are kept off the water.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #386 on: September 08, 2022, 09:51:22 PM »

I for one will be out there harvesting my two sockeyes every day of this opening along with the hundreds of other sport fisherman.

Phronesis

« Reply #387 on: September 08, 2022, 10:20:35 PM »

I for one will be out there harvesting my two sockeyes every day of this opening along with the hundreds of other sport fisherman.

I am confused with the notice - Tidal portion says limit of 4:
https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=265307&ID=all

"The current status of the Fraser River Sockeye salmon return provides for
recreational Sockeye retention opportunities in the Tidal Waters of the Fraser River.

Waters:  Tidal waters of the Fraser River (downstream edge of the CPR Bridge at Mission to the mouth).

Management measures:

Effective September 9 until September 18, 2022:
- The daily limit for Sockeye salmon is four (4).
- You may not retain Chinook, Coho, Chum, or Pink salmon.
- You may not use bait when fishing for salmon."

While dfo site says limit of 2 below mission bridge:
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

which one is correct?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 10:22:25 PM by Phronesis »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #388 on: September 08, 2022, 11:17:36 PM »

Good question. The two notices contradict each other. Not surprising given it's DFO

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #389 on: September 08, 2022, 11:34:15 PM »

Good question. The two notices contradict each other. Not surprising given it's DFO
how should we be fishing in the tidal waters? Which arm do most of the fish come in? I am keen to catch some. Any info would be appreciated
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin