Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 79392 times)

mikeyman

Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2022, 09:53:52 AM »

what BS. The total number of sockeye to date is a fraction of that number.

Not true bud. Every year fsc openings or not. Do you truly think the number reported is a true objective number? Not a chance! These fish are being Gill netted into extinction.
Check out this one...king of the fraser article. I have no doubt these operations are still going full on. Adds online are only a fraction of what is out there. Advertising an illigal fishery. Sure you will find it online. There is no doubt many operations from small to the big guy. Black market salmon sales. From out of the back of a truck to restraunts big cold storage shipping internationally even.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/news/british-columbia/no-one-followed-the-bc-black-market-salmon/article625576/

« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 09:55:48 AM by mikeyman »

mikeyman

« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2022, 09:59:11 AM »

They testified that in one investigation they found 345,000 FSC salmon stored in industrial freezers, and that they believed 97 per cent of all FSC fish are sold illegally into the market, not distributed to native people, as intended.

Read the above link to the article. Might change your mind a bit on what is truly going on.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 10:08:33 AM by mikeyman »

redside1

« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2022, 12:03:31 PM »

what BS. The total number of sockeye to date is a fraction of that number.

A million may be too large a number but do you really think that every sockeye caught is reported anywhere close to accurately?

mikeyman

« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2022, 01:14:36 PM »

A million may be too large a number but do you really think that every sockeye caught is reported anywhere close to accurately?

I think a million is a low estimate.
Chinook. Sockeye  chum coho. Steelhead sturgeon.

Infact I saw a chart that showed the allotment for fn fisheries and it was 1.5 million total of salmon species. I am just trying to find it I will post when I do find it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 02:16:14 PM by mikeyman »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2022, 03:02:51 PM »

When your working a job in Edmonton Alberta and one of your co-workers asks you if u want to buy some Fraser river sockeye you know there’s a problem.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2022, 05:30:28 PM »

When your working a job in Edmonton Alberta and one of your co-workers asks you if u want to buy some Fraser river sockeye you know there’s a problem.
is this from personal experience?
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2022, 06:15:11 PM »

Not true bud. Every year fsc openings or not. Do you truly think the number reported is a true objective number? Not a chance! These fish are being Gill netted into extinction.
Check out this one...king of the fraser article. I have no doubt these operations are still going full on. Adds online are only a fraction of what is out there. Advertising an illigal fishery. Sure you will find it online. There is no doubt many operations from small to the big guy. Black market salmon sales. From out of the back of a truck to restraunts big cold storage shipping internationally even.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/news/british-columbia/no-one-followed-the-bc-black-market-salmon/article625576/

nice try... an article from 11 years ago. sheesh
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2022, 06:23:41 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQJsUwq7Qtg

You are right that is bad if only for the sight and smell. OTOH it simply enables the FN bashers and sets aside the enormous hypocrisy in our society. Our society that wastes over an estimated 50 million tons of food annually. That is Canada where 58% of food produced is wasted or lost. The application of best before dates wastes an estimated 2+ million tons. Each single family home discards over 200kg of food annually. Let's not start on the commercially fishing industry where the waste is a travesty despite efforts to improve the situation.

sources:

https://lamerceria.ca/food-waste-canada-statistics/

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/canadians-rely-on-best-before-dates-even-if-it-causes-food-waste-study-finds-1.6042271

Your video amounts to fine focus on the hair of  a mole of one person while ignoring this massive tumor on the face of our society. 

every person in this country can do better.

I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday dinner! We are having sockeye fillet (purchased from a reputable fish store), sweet corn, fresh peas plus potatoes and tomatoes I grew in my garden.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 06:26:18 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

salmonrook

« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2022, 06:34:35 PM »

Late to the party here but , agree that it needs to be addressed internally .
We arent talking about a processed food here that grown commercially
But a wild resource thats being squandered and mismanaged
 I just searched craigslist and found 8 ads with pictures .
Several had pictures of full bins with sockeye , even advertising roe and heads
From Surrey to Vancouver .
Fact is recreational fishers arent able to catch these and they certainly arent from Safeway .
This needs to be talked about more
The recreational fishers dont have a chance to catch even 1 of these .
What a farce ...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 06:36:49 PM by salmonrook »

ratfish

« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2022, 06:52:19 PM »

Thanks Rod for bringing this topic up. Yes its not positive and Very Political in the First Nations Community as much as it is in the Sport Fishing community. One of the best quotes I have ever heard came from the Haida Nation. The quote is "We don't play with our food!" When I go fishing I only keep what I will eat. One of the biggest reasons sockeye are sold at the side of the road is their is a market for it. I have many times had ppl come up to me bragging about buying sockeye of the road. They tell me its the freshest you can get and that they are supporting the First Nations community. I try to tell them its Illegal and not helping the actual stewards of the Bands but it seems to be to no avail. Hopefully this gets some more attention now.     

mikeyman

« Reply #175 on: August 28, 2022, 07:04:02 PM »

nice try... an article from 11 years ago. sheesh

It is an older article and is 100 percent relevant today. The cohen inquiry was not that long ago bud. That guy was not convicted and is most likely still operating today. He isn't the only one. You could publish that same article today nothing has changed.  Most news sources are to chicken to write about it. Turn a blind eye like everyone else then.

roeman

« Reply #176 on: August 28, 2022, 08:04:11 PM »

You are right that is bad if only for the sight and smell. OTOH it simply enables the FN bashers and sets aside the enormous hypocrisy in our society. Our society that wastes over an estimated 50 million tons of food annually. That is Canada where 58% of food produced is wasted or lost. The application of best before dates wastes an estimated 2+ million tons. Each single family home discards over 200kg of food annually. Let's not start on the commercially fishing industry where the waste is a travesty despite efforts to improve the situation.

sources:

https://lamerceria.ca/food-waste-canada-statistics/

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/canadians-rely-on-best-before-dates-even-if-it-causes-food-waste-study-finds-1.6042271

Your video amounts to fine focus on the hair of  a mole of one person while ignoring this massive tumor on the face of our society. 

every person in this country can do better.

I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday dinner! We are having sockeye fillet (purchased from a reputable fish store), sweet corn, fresh peas plus potatoes and tomatoes I grew in my garden.
What a load of cupcakes..........  The conversation is wasted salmon.. NOT Vegis and milk bought at a grocery store...
I see this one FN guy a couple times a week and he just laughs.  In the last month he estimates he has caught 20000 salmon.  That is one boat one net and two guys.  Now you do the math and tell me at the end of the season that it does not add up to a million fish...  In 10 years from now the conversation will be saving the Cultas Lake bass and salmon will be long forgotten.,
Are you fishin or catchin

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #177 on: August 28, 2022, 08:47:13 PM »

OTOH it simply enables the FN bashers 

Here is why no one talks about it Rod, you will be labeled a racist as I was by Ralph or in your case a racist enabler.

Phronesis

« Reply #178 on: August 28, 2022, 08:47:39 PM »

..In 10 years from now the conversation will be saving the Cultas Lake bass and salmon will be long forgotten.,

Speaking of cultus bass, I was thinking wont these bass have plenty of salmon eggs to feed on this year and will tune into it ?? Wont that affect the population of both salmon in a negative way and bass in a positive way?
In Deer lake, theres an explosion of LMB population.... something similar could happen in cultus too

danielk

« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2022, 08:48:56 PM »

Cultas lake sockeye are already gone.   They won’t come back.   How many returned this year that they counted.  60 fish.   Anyways………….   Keep up the rants.   Bass will eat their own