Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Limit Going To 4?  (Read 25397 times)

andychan

Re: Sockeye Limit Going To 4?
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2010, 11:55:09 AM »

hello the limit states limit of 4 sockeyes a day but what area is harrison/agassiz?
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.htm

i think that is for tidal waters up until mission bridge; but a bit confusing nonetheless.

all i know is that limit of 4 has been around since aug 5; and if it was indeed everywhere - i think we would not have this topic lol

bcguy

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »

Ironic that unless you are netting, catching Sockeye the tidal portion of the fraser is next to impossible. Living just up the road from the Fraser out of Fort Langley, I spent many, many hours, trying many different methods to get them to bite, but to no avail, and no short floating krill didnt work either.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »

Yup! 

Laws have no meaning unless they are enforced.

I'm not sure where to start as you clearly do not understand the purpose that law serves in modern society.

Laws are made not only to enable punishment of those that break the laws but to set guidelines for those that choose to follow them.  Laws, regardless of enforcement, have always had and will always have meaning.

But, assuming you are right and unenforced laws serve no purpose (which you aren't), what's the purpose for a daily limit or possession limit then since they are rarely enforced??? We don't have enough enforcement for them so your logic would have us abolishing these as well.  The only argument you could possibly counter this with is that we DO have enough enforcement on daily/possession limits... yet DFO is horribly understaffed in this regard, and the number of CO's out there is pathetic.  So... let's see you wiggle out of this one.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2010, 12:43:04 PM »

Marmot, stop arguing with logic, it's pointless. ;D ;D ;D

Back to the topic, it is highly unlikely that the daily quota in the non-tidal and tributaries be raised to four fish, however there is a possibility that the fishery may be extended after the long weekend. A fishery notice will most likely be available later on this week regarding what will happen in the Fraser River after this weekend.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2010, 01:03:52 PM »

there is a possibility that the fishery may be extended after the long weekend. A fishery notice will most likely be available later on this week regarding what will happen in the Fraser River after this weekend.
Coho be damned?  I love to get my sockeye and was unhappy that I am going out of town this upcoming weekeend but man... they can't let pressure overwhelm the conservation of endagered species :(

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2010, 01:44:58 PM »

Marmot, stop arguing with logic, it's pointless. ;D ;D ;D

I never learn  ;D

azafai

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2010, 02:35:06 PM »

based on the current opening what time should sockeye be closed if no further changes occur?
thanks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2010, 02:36:26 PM »

September 7th.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2010, 03:08:18 PM »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2010, 03:43:26 PM »

Interior coho management measures typically kick in right after September long weekend and these measures usually include total salmon fishing closure. There are exceptions sometimes, like selective fishing for pink salmon during pink salmon years with a bait ban implemented. This arrangement has demonstrated that the rec group can keep the coho mortality below 3%, which is the acceptable level.

Most angling reps have asked Fisheries and Oceans Canada to consider extending the sockeye salmon opening with the same arrangement that we have for pink salmon years. The reasoning being the sockeye run continues to be strong, angling pressure would reduce significantly after the long weekend and the coho salmon run would not be impacted with the bait ban and no retention of coho salmon.

I don't entirely have an issue with having the fishery extended, it'd take quite a bit of pressure off other systems such as the Vedder for awhile and provide additional fishing opportunities for those who haven't had a chance to get out. That being said, I'd like to see an emphasis on fish identification and proper fish handling during the extension if there is one. This is what I wrote when asked for feedbacks.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »

Interior coho management measures typically kick in right after September long weekend and these measures usually include total salmon fishing closure. There are exceptions sometimes, like selective fishing for pink salmon during pink salmon years with a bait ban implemented. This arrangement has demonstrated that the rec group can keep the coho mortality below 3%, which is the acceptable level.

Most angling reps have asked Fisheries and Oceans Canada to consider extending the sockeye salmon opening with the same arrangement that we have for pink salmon years.

This seems like a tricky extrapolation.  Pink fishing (and handling) seems to me a little different than the methods and handling we're seeing employed currently.  Too many people are ID'ing fish after they have been dragged up on the shore... might make for some different numbers?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2010, 04:58:54 PM »

September 7th.

If it closes on the 7th will it be close the night of the 6th or the night of the 7th? Curious because I am planning a trip first light on the 7th.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2010, 05:04:36 PM »

Most angling reps have asked Fisheries and Oceans Canada to consider extending the sockeye salmon opening with the same arrangement that we have for pink salmon years. The reasoning being the sockeye run continues to be strong, angling pressure would reduce significantly after the long weekend and the coho salmon run would not be impacted with the bait ban and no retention of coho salmon.

I don't entirely have an issue with having the fishery extended, it'd take quite a bit of pressure off other systems such as the Vedder for awhile and provide additional fishing opportunities for those who haven't had a chance to get out. That being said, I'd like to see an emphasis on fish identification and proper fish handling during the extension if there is one. This is what I wrote when asked for feedbacks.
Most of those people out there at places such as Peg Leg have no idea the difference between a coho and a sockeye ,so yes that would be a good idea but im not sure how it could be implemented.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »

Damn cohos ;D

purple monster

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2010, 08:23:40 PM »

damn sockeyes!!