Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roe  (Read 3610 times)

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
Roe
« on: July 14, 2004, 01:52:02 PM »

Do u guys cut the roe before u cure it??? ???

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re:Roe
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 01:55:16 PM »

I place the skein onto a piece of cardboard. Try to do this outside in a garage, carport etc. Cover it in the Borax or Pro-Cure whatever you are going to use for curing and go back and forth giving a generous portion. Let sit for a while then flip it over and do the same to the other side, do this a couple of times and it will stay good. After it's done I cut the pieces up and place them in an ice-cream bucket and back into the freezer. This is my method and it's seems to sure have no problems catching, Steelhead, Chinook, Coho etc. ;D

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 03:00:33 PM »

thanks trout slayer

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 03:38:40 PM »

I put the skeins of roe on some paper towel and leave it in the fridge for an hour or so to drain. I then cut them into bait size chunks and cure. I then place the roe into a container while adding more borax. Finally I add a piece of paper towel on top before putting on the lid and freeze.

pinkwool

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 12:27:48 AM »

You can make a tasty caviar from a mature roe. Just salt it (coarse), work it out of the skeins and store in a jar with some vegetable oil (sunflower, canola, corn). Deadly with rye bread, butter and beer!!! (not bear - thanks otto) ::) :P :P :P
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 04:17:36 PM by pinkwool »

otto

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 01:18:29 AM »

You can make a tasty caviar from a mature roe. Just salt it (coarse), work it out of the skeins and store in a jar with some vegetable oil (sunflower, canola, corn). Deadly with rye bread, butter and bear!!!  ::) :P :P :P

BEAR  ???

you do mean Beer dont ya  ???  or are you a bear hunter with some bear meat in the freezer  ???

either way (bear or beer or both) that sounds yummy!!!!

8)

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 11:20:16 AM »

Precut before curing, assures all roe is covered in preserving borax, less messy than trying to cut on riverbank. Good to see someone using bait & not wool lining.